I tested DCS on a 50" TV - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #21
streakeagle

My current monitor is a TCL 49-inch 5-series 4K@60Hz/HDR. I got it for about $300. It is the best monitor I have had to date. I would have gone for the 65-inch for about $600, but the 49-inch is much lighter and easier to move around.

I also have Oculus Rift, and Oculus Rift S.

What really draws me to VR is the 1:1 head tracking with a much wider vertical field of view. For me, that is what provides the immersion more so than the stereoscopic 3d effect. But after flying VR for awhile and struggling to get a steady 40 fps with decent quality settings, the 4K display is absolutely beautiful at a steady 60 fps. I can use maxed out settings with 4K other than MSAA at x2.

Before the Rift S came out, I was flying VR about 50 percent of the time. With the improved visuals of the S, I now fly VR about 80 percent of the time. But I still love to enjoy a 49-inch 4K display. I see no reason to limit myself to playing only one way or the other. So I don't buy into this constant arguing that everyone should stop buying monitors and convert to VR or that VR isn't good enough yet.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #22
Mustang
Veteran

48" screen user here
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #23
Quadg

I was going to buy a ultra wide screen monitor three years ago.
but I bought a cv 1 instead.
not flown in 2d since.

I do enjoy lying on my couch and watching 4k youtube video of DCS though.
i call it training