Win 10 + How do I switch or minimize DCS

So I had to break down and get Win 10 which I had been putting off.

Now I know more than ever why I waited. I HATE Win 10 with a passion now.

Amongst the things I hate, is the fact that I cannot Minimize DCS in order to access other programs (that are running) such as Discord or TS or anything else.

I have tried all the usual LAlt+Tab, LAlt+Esc, LCtrl+Tab (in game chat), LCtrl+Esc as well I have tried the LWin+D, LWin+M etc etc etc.

I have hit every combination of keys I can think of or can find in Google.

The LWin+D "SHOULD" Minimize everything taking you back to the Desktop .. but NOPE.

I don't know how anyone does anything in this crap OS.

And this is only my DCS issue with Win 10.

Someone Please Help with a Solution (preferably someone who has experienced this same thing with the most up-to-date Win 10 Home 64 bit.

SnowTiger:joystick:

well, I never liked windows, but I love win 10, so much smoother, I haven't had any problems for over a year.

as for using other screens I use a mx master mouse and can switch to other desktops very easily while dcs is running, you could just switch to task manager then click on the other desktop, not sure of the windows commands as its all mapped to my mouse now

It's actually quite easy if you stick to the rules Windows GUI forces on you.

IF in FS mode, there is no other way that I know but CTRL-ALT-DEL --> open TaskManager -->press WINDOWS key on your KB to see the Startbutton and TaskBar --> click whatever you like. If you get lost, again CTRL-ALT-DEL-->TaskManager-->WINDOWS key-->access to Startbutton and TaskBar

IF in windowed mode, just hit ALT-TAB and switch between all your APPS shown in TaskBar, if it's not in Taskbar you cannot cycle to it. Open TS, SRS, etc.. so you can actually CTRL-TAB to them.

Happy Flying ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the replies.

I am in fact, in Windowed Mode (i.e. Box NOT Checked aka Blank) but Alt+anything usually does nothing but flash the other open windows in front of me for a split second. Or long enough for me to Tab to the program I want ... let go and pfffft. still in DCS.

I have not yet tried the Alt-Ctrl-Del but I guess I'll have to give it a try because none of the other typical Windows Commands are working (or not consistently if at all).

I was actually trying to avoid that method because after 30 years on PC's, I have learned to use that for other specific intent. But if it works, I'll do it.

I'll let you know how that works out.

Again, thanks for the replies and suggestions.

No problem here using alt+tab to change between running programs, even with DCS in full screen.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

might work, but only if those APPS are already opened, you will not get to the TaskBar or SystemTray icons. For that, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL + TM + WindowsButton ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'll be experimenting with these suggestions later today (when my back stops aching from shoveling snow).

I'll definitely try first opening all my other programs BEFORE starting DCS too. Hopefully, that makes all the difference. But at least if all else fails I have the Alt+Ctrl+Del.

As well, someone else suggested Alt+F4 which I have yet to try.

Thanks for the help.

I'll report back later today with my results.

ALT-F4 is a BAAAAAAAD advice, it's a joke or a test to see "how much does he know about Windows" :book:

Alt-F4 kills the app in focus. It's a good tool, very usefull, but not for your case, by all means NO :doh:

ALT_SPACEBAR then hit "n" to minimize app in focus.

Another protip for mulitmonitor users. ALT_SPACEBAR then "m" key puts it into MOVE mode. You can then use your mouse to bring it to the primary screen.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks BitMaster

I appreciate your reply.

In fact, while I was not familiar with Alt-F4 (because I haven't used Functions as primary actions since the invent of the Mouse), I certainly wasn't going to use it without first researching it. That was the very first thing I did and I was going to report that with the results of my tests.

But I did do that research already and came to the obvious conclusion that it is NOT a good/useful command with regards to my situation UNLESS I actually wanted to shut DCS down completely and quickly (as you also kindly indicated). That said, I'd never be in so much of a hurry to shut DCS or most other programs down this way.

Anyway, unfortunately for me I have been too crippled to do much of anything today and haven't turned DCS on since yesterday AM .. much to my chagrin.

But I do intend to try out those things that have been suggested that I have already researched .. including Alt+Spacebar+N (Thank You for that hansangb). My intent is to jump in tomorrow.

My first experiment will be following the suggestion to start all other programs first (eg: TrackIR, Discord, SimpleRadio) and then DCS.

If the suggested procedures don't work with that setup, I won't have much hope for them if I leave Discord and Simple Radio until after launching DCS (which I usually do almost simultaneously or immediately after double-clicking DCS).

Thanks again to all those that have replied.

PS> I'll be happy if I can resolve my issue tomorrow so I can get on with trying Oculus DK2 on my new system.

The kind gentleman (name withheld) to "gave me" the Oculus is curious to hear my reaction to flying Helicopters with it.

I have already flown in the Mustang with it and that was very cool. But I have a feeling from his curiosity that flying a helo will be an even more thrilling experience. So I can't wait to try it and let him know.

Have a great night everyone and thanks again.

he is absolutely right with the Helicopter and VR :)

I warned you ,,,,haha

So I have tried a couple things out that were recommended or suggested.

One thing that certainly has a positive affect to resolve my issue is to start all other programs Before starting DCS.

That definitely made a difference. So far I have not had to use Alt+Ctrl+Del but at least I know that too is an option.

For now I just have to get used to doing things just a bit differently than before Win10.

As far as VR and Helo's, well that will just have to wait until this afternoon. I have to make sure Oculus is working properly and then I'll give it a try and let y'all know how I make out with that.

Thanks again.

Yeah I always have all programs running I will need during a gaming session in my Rift.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I finally got into a helicopter with the VR this afternoon.

It appears I have to reset my IPD again so things look like the right scale (i.e. No D. Trump hands on the stick) but other than that, I got into a Gazelle and flew around until I almost tossed my cookies again.

I have to admit, I did a couple rounds on a roller coaster before flying to get Oculus setup again .. so that didn't help my stomach at all.

But needless to say, it was a truly amazing sensation in the chopper. VERY Life Like.

Descending was really wild on the stomach.

Being able to see much more of the cockpit RE Peripheral vision really makes a HUGE difference over TrackIR or anything else out there (that I know of).

Unfortunately, I was unable to film my reaction as of yet. I still have a couple things to set up on here.

But I think you can picture it.

An expression of astonishment mixed with bewilderment and a side order of greenish-grey skin color, topped off with dry mouth .. LOL.

Thanks again for the Win10 Minimizing/Task Switching Tips.

In VR, you INSTANTLY change the way you steer the Helicopter. You can actually feel how far off of RL we did it in 2D. It's day and night. VR is a MUCH MUCH smoother flight, as you would throw up if not, at least I would..LoL

I finally got into a helicopter with the VR this afternoon.

It appears I have to reset my IPD again so things look like the right scale (i.e. No D. Trump hands on the stick) but other than that, I got into a Gazelle and flew around until I almost tossed my cookies again.

I have to admit, I did a couple rounds on a roller coaster before flying to get Oculus setup again .. so that didn't help my stomach at all.

But needless to say, it was a truly amazing sensation in the chopper. VERY Life Like.

Descending was really wild on the stomach.

Being able to see much more of the cockpit RE Peripheral vision really makes a HUGE difference over TrackIR or anything else out there (that I know of).

Unfortunately, I was unable to film my reaction as of yet. I still have a couple things to set up on here.

But I think you can picture it.

An expression of astonishment mixed with bewilderment and a side order of greenish-grey skin color, topped off with dry mouth .. LOL.

Thanks again for the Win10 Minimizing/Task Switching Tips.

:thumbup:

That is what VR is all about, I so love it!

Don B

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update y'all on the solution to my issue.

It turns out to be a self-inflicted issue that occurs in Win10 but never occurred in Win7.

The issue was a result of running my DCS as Administrator. I don't remember why I had DCS running this way, other than I used to do this with only a couple specific programs which did help in their operation (without BS from Windows requiring permissions etc).

Anyway, >>

By unchecking Run As Administrator, I have restored my ability to minimize DCS and access other running programs.

I should point out however, that if No Other programs are running, I am still unable to minimize DCS to my Desktop (I might as well have other programs running and still not be able to access them !). At least I have resolved the latter but this remains frustrating if for example, I wish to open another program OR simply to re-calibrate my TiR after smacking it out of wack.

I should point out however, that if No Other programs are running, I am still unable to minimize DCS to my Desktop (I might as well have other programs running and still not be able to access them !). At least I have resolved the latter but this remains frustrating if for example, I wish to open another program OR simply to re-calibrate my TiR after smacking it out of wack.

if you hit "alt-space" then the letter "n" does it minimize? That's with DCS as the active forefront app.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1