Converting Model to PBR w/ RoughMet Maps (Roughness / Metal) - Guide

SkateZilla

Now to find said file and give it a shot, thanks Skate.

/DCS World/Bazar/World/Shapres/F-16x.edm.json

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is the Second of 3 Updated Posts I will Add Into this thread, One for Each Channel and How to Create and Edit the Textures for those Channels.

Next Up is the GREEN Channel, Which is the Roughness / Microsurface Map.

GREEN = ROUGHNESS / SMOOTHNESS aka MicroSurface ( BLACK = SMOOTH, WHITE = ROUGH)

-- Smooth results in Less Light Scattering / diffusion and a More Polished Look, Sharper Reflections

-- Rough results in more Light Scattering / diffusion and a more Matte Look, Blurrier Reflections

Here's some basic Materials, Please note, the M (Microsurface) Values for these Materials are Inverted (ie WHITE = SMOOTH), so when using them, one must invert the color for the Microsurface Value.

attachment.php?attachmentid=171685&stc=1&d=1509918180

Unlike Ambient Occlusion, Creating a Roughness map does not Involve using 3D Studio Max, Everything can be done from Photoshop or other Imaging Suites.

The Quickest and Easiest way to do basic Roughness Maps is to create Layers and Overlays for Each material type, For Example:

- 1 Layer for Brushed / Bare Metal,

- 1 Layer for Rubber,

- 1 Layer for Painted Metal,

- 1 Layer for Glass

With Those Layers Created, You can Use the Diffuse Layer as a background, and paint over the parts one material type at a time.

It will Also be easier to create the Metallic map as well, as once you create the material overlays for the Roughness Map, you can group them, clone them and use them for metallic map, and adjust the Output values using color overlay.

attachment.php?attachmentid=171686&stc=1&d=1509918373

For Me, for Creating the basic composite material surface w/ noise and smooth/rough spots,

I used the existing green Channel of my Specular, Inverted it and Applied custom curves to get the colors within range for the Material.

For Example

Before:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171687&stc=1&d=1509918593

After:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171688&stc=1&d=1509918605

Once you have your Roughness map is completed Goto Channels, Select the Green Channel, Select All, Copy Merged, and Paste into the GREEN Channel of your RoughMet DDS File:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171690&stc=1&d=1509920477

Once Finished, the End Result should be something Like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171695&stc=1&d=1509923617

Is there an video out for this section?

This is the section I am currently stuck on. Thanks

• 3 months later...

I've a really basic 3d knowledge, less on how models/shader works here on DCS.

Without using the liveries with description.lua, how to create the PBR material directly on 3ds max with the ROUGHMET Channel 13? It's possible?

EDIT:

it's enough to create the <basemapname>_RoughMet.DDS into the .zip? that's all?

Thanks

Edited by Maverick87Shaka

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

I've a really basic 3d knowledge, less on how models/shader works here on DCS.

Without using the liveries with description.lua, how to create the PBR material directly on 3ds max with the ROUGHMET Channel 13? It's possible?

Thanks.

Yes, I think can be done, but I never tried personally

BTW, I've analyzed the materials.lua of the plugin, and should be the layer 2 of composite material for specular level.

In the slate material editor, after you have assigned a standard material for the object to export, click & drag from the Specular Level in a blank space of the mat editor: a menu will appear, choose General>Composite, layer 1 is for specular (unused if you put the roughmet, so leave it empty), add a new layer (then will be layer 2), select None and choose your roughmet texture.

hbnGrH8.png

p8s82cz.png

MmuS9vH.png

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm trying to force the KC-135, Hawk, and A-4 mod to read roughmets, but I can't quite figure it out. Can anyone help?

Let's say I'm working with this Hawk texture:

{"hawk-aft", 0 ,"hawk_aft_vt7",false};

Should the roughmet be hawk-aft_RoughMet because of the map or hawk_aft_vt7_RoughMet because of the texture being used? Can it be in the livery folder because it's associated with a false diffuse map? And should I change anything about the specular map assigned under {"hawk-aft", 2?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm currently traveling for holiday,

Once I get some free time I'll go through and edit the posts and move images and clean up formatting.

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

On 12/13/2020 at 2:51 PM, Stratos said:

Lucky you! Enjoy the well deserved holidays.

Traveling for Job, and Traveling is not safe, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Spoiler

Hey guys! Due to the recent ED forum engine change, the table has lost its original formatting. Because of this, I spent a small amount of my time to re-format it here. Happy painting!

MAP SLOT NAME CHANNEL PURPOSE / FUNCTION
DIFFUSE 0 BASE COLOR
NORMAL 1 Normals/Depth and Depth Affects (ie Rain/Scratchs on Glass)
SPECULAR 2 Surface Properties for Surface Flare Intensity, Width and Reflection (Replaced by RoughMet Map w/ DCS 2.5)
DECAL 3 Decal Layer, a opacity layer for adding Decals w/ out changing the base color layer.
DIRT 4 Layer used for Dirty Build Up on an Object
DAMAGE 5 Layer Used for Procedural Damage Volumetric (Small Scuffs -> Bullet Holes -> Large Holes -> Removed Surfaces)
PUDDLES 6 Used to Place Water/Puddles on Surfaces (Puddles on Runways etc)
SNOW 7 Used to Place Snow on Surfaces (Snow on Buildings/Bunkers/Runways etc)
SELF_ILLUMINATION 8 Used to Make a Texture Self Illuminated (Diffuse = Color, Alpha = Strength)
AMBIENT_OCCLUSION 9 Used to Place Ambient Occlusions on Models (Replaced w/ RoughMet Map w/ DCS 2.5)
DAMAGE 10 Used to Place Damage Diffuse Color (Appearance of Dirt/Burn Marks around Damage)
<UNKNOWN> 11  
<UNKNOWN> 12  
ROUGHMET 13 Used for Surface Properties, (Ambient Occlusion, Microsurface, Reflectivity)
OPACITY 14 Used for Surface Opacity (Mainly for Glass)

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• 2 months later...

@SkateZilla, with the Opacity/14 channel, how does the renderer handle that? Does the model need to be flagged as allowing that to be used on a part before it will actually render things transparent?

A few of us on the DCS: Livery Art Group Discord have experimented with trying to use alpha channels to hide the extra antenna bumps on the C model Hornet to more closely represent an F/A-18A or A+ but without luck.

Tried adding a .lua entry for channel OPACITY in slot 1.  Cut those areas out in both the diffuse and roughmet textures but it renders black rather than transparent. I was hoping it would render the bump transparent so we could see the base fuselage part underneath since the bump is a separate part of the model with its own part of the texture.

Edited by Naijel74

On 11/21/2021 at 11:47 PM, Naijel74 said:

@SkateZilla, with the Opacity/14 channel, how does the renderer handle that? Does the model need to be flagged as allowing that to be used on a part before it will actually render things transparent?

A few of us on the DCS: Livery Art Group Discord have experimented with trying to use alpha channels to hide the extra antenna bumps on the C model Hornet to more closely represent an F/A-18A or A+ but without luck.

Tried adding a .lua entry for channel OPACITY in slot 1.  Cut those areas out in both the diffuse and roughmet textures but it renders black rather than transparent. I was hoping it would render the bump transparent so we could see the base fuselage part underneath since the bump is a separate part of the model with its own part of the texture.

You cant force a texture onto a material that did not have that texture slot already enabled and assigned in 3DS Max.

On 11/30/2021 at 9:10 AM, SkateZilla said:

You cant force a texture onto a material that did not have that texture slot already enabled and assigned in 3DS Max.

Ok. Thought that was going to be the answer. Thanks @SkateZilla

It would be nice to get an update where all of those extra bumps have an opacity texture enabled and assigned in 3DS Max. Unlikely I know. 🙏

Obviously the whole plane should not have it enabled or people would try making Wonder Woman's invisible jet. 😛