Trim question

Lixma 06

EDITED after testing it myself… Good Observation Lixma 06!

1) Are you sure your controls aren't playing tricks ? Nope ! Tested it too in my rig and it's the same...

2) Maybe the model was developed with a starboard roll trim set by default ? Doesn't look like so… because I tested in a dive and at increasing "q" the "diamond" never moves… Strange ?

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Well, just tested and there's something strange indeed…

Created a quick mission based on the default "free fligth over Caucasus" where I start at 23000' and from there I enter a highspeed dive. The diamond never moves, stays at that slightly right position from the origin, so, should it be default aileron trim, it would start moving with increasing "q".

The OP made an interesting observation! Bug ? Scripted effect ?

Edited by jcomm

Did some testing.

When you spawn on the ground the trim is neutral - but by the time you are airborne the phantom aileron trim has appeared. I cannot say at which point the trim is applied because my controls are too busy trying to take off. Watch...

When spawning in the air the trim is applied immediately....

And… it doesn't result from trimming ( even if the fixed aileron trim tabs were being set away from their neutral position ) because the diamond would then start moving with increasing dynamic pressure ( q )… which is NOT the case.

It looks like a bug in the FM specification, or some "hidden" scripted feature ( ? )

In German it is called "Bügelkante" or "Trimmkante". You find that option in the special options menu. Basically it is a metal strip that attaches to the trailing edge of airfoils.

Yes, only in this case with that option set at neutral, zero ground adjustable trim tab, the ailerons still deflect, and even more weird - they only deflect a fixed amount, irrespective of dynamic pressure...

• 2 months later...

i can confirm this.

i guess thats indeed the trim tab thats deflecting the aileron. yo-yo said, that having the trim tabs set to zero in the options, doesnt mean that the trim tabs are actually set to zero but that this default setting 0/0 is trimmed to reach maximum speed. that they only deflect to a fixed amount ,once the control surfaces become aerodynamically effective ,makes sense, as this small aerodynamic surface can only produce a certain amount of lift that will deflect the aileron in the opposite direction.

the video above shows that its centered on the ground. so i guess thats the indeed the hardcoded trim tab, with a setting of 0/0 in the special options setting.

EDIT: I just tested a take-off with the controls indicator open with 2 different settings.

in both tests, i didnt touch the joystick during the takeoff run.

i have the msffb2 sidewinder joystick, so thats why the two different tests:

1st test: disabled ffb in the misc options, and to have a center force i used the simffb.exe, so it basically acts like a mechanical spring joystick.

started a quick mission on the runway, opened the controls indicator, moved my controls and let it center again.

with engine running standing on the runway, the diamond was perfectly alligned in center, after i put my hand off the stick.

to not touch the stick during the takeoff, i trimmed the plane +1, opened the radiators set to manual, prop pitch 12 o clock, flaps 2nd indication on the wing.

take-off with 1.4 ata, only rudder inputs, hands off the stick. already during the takeoff run, you can watch the diamond travel towards the right side.

2nd test: enabled ffb in the misc options, and again to have a center force already before the airspeed rises, i used simffb.exe. takeoff settings as described above.

interestingly, with ffb enabled, the diamond doesnt travel one bit as airspeed increases. it stays locked in position.

now it would be interesting, to hear how the thing reacts with a non-ffb stick and ffb enabled, and whether the outcome is the same as in my 2nd test.

Edited by birdstrike

• 2 weeks later...

Wait a sec yrs mnaybe a decade goes by and this still exists?? I was complaining how my stick was always off center yrs back and it was all on my ned somehow. :(

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle