*** AI J-35 Draken AI coming to DCS World!! ***

Cobra847

Fingers still crossed for a J35F2 or J35J!

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

I mean, having Ö as variant designation letter is a reason along to have it, since it ups the cool factor by 5 or so :P.

Jokes aside, I guess I'd be happy with any variant, and may actually slightly prefer Swedish pure fighters despite the much lesser A/G capabilities.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Well I'm from Turkey, we too have umlauts, including Ö itself, but I find it cool because we're so used to "normal" latin letters in avitaion designations, it feels out of place, ridiculous in a way, that's why I find them cool :D

These are some really awesome liveries BTW!

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Yup, of course there's the also legacy of Mötley Crüe, Motörhead etc. :D which makes yours the most metal version, which is quite the achievement, considering the original comes from Sweden :D.

And yeah, we have all sorts of colorful letters like Ş, Ğ, and capital İ :P. Probably some of those won't even render :D I can spot other TR users in the forum quite easily as usually they type capital İ by mistake :D

As far as I recall, Austrian Drakens could use Mavericks, as well as more air to ground ordnance like rockets etc. compared to those used by other countries, but I guess Swedish ones have IRST, and did they had a better engine too?

The ideal would be if we could get one of both. Here's wishing...

• Like 1

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 1 month later...
but I guess Swedish ones have IRST, and did they had a better engine too?

Aboot half the J 35F version had IRST (called J 35F2 in Swedenland to distinguish them from "normal" J 35F1's) and was introduced since that era pulse radars had a really hard time to cope with low level targets and this IRST (from Hughes) did that particular job better.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yup, of course there's the also legacy of Mötley Crüe, Motörhead etc. :D which makes yours the most metal version, which is quite the achievement, considering the original comes from Sweden :D.

And yeah, we have all sorts of colorful letters like Ş, Ğ, and capital İ :P. Probably some of those won't even render :D I can spot other TR users in the forum quite easily as usually they type capital İ by mistake :D

As far as I recall, Austrian Drakens could use Mavericks, as well as more air to ground ordnance like rockets etc. compared to those used by other countries, but I guess Swedish ones have IRST, and did they had a better engine too?

The ideal would be if we could get one of both. Here's wishing...

I think your mixing up Austrian Drakens and Danish Drakens.

The Austrian Drakens were second hand J35D Drakens with some modifications (With Some additions being made prior to delivery and they were also upgraded again in the 90s while in Austrian Service when they were Given Chaff-Flare dispensers and RWR taken from the Danish Drakens when they were retired from service)

but they did not have increased air-ground capability (to my knowledge) and certainly were not able to use the Maverick.

The Danish Drakens (Saab F35 and the RF 35 Recce Variant)

were the ones with increased air-ground capability and they had a significantly redesigned airframe / wing that gave them both more internal fuel and a much greater payload.

(8 Pylons in total with two dedicated for Fuel tanks where as the J-35A+B had 3 pylons D+F had 4 with the J35J and Finnish J35F being given an additional 2 Launch rails in the 1980s bringing them up to 6)

They did not have a Radar though as they were primarily strike aircraft so initially the nosecone was empty (actually had counterweight to replace the weight of the radar) they were upgraded multiple times with the most major upgrade being in the 1980s when they were given a laser rangefinder & marked target seeker in the nose and a HUD,INS and Nav-Attack Computer etc.

It was not able to use the Maverick however so it relied on unguided bombs / rockets and the manually controlled AGM-12 Bullpup in the

air-ground role and was able to carry the Aim-9 for self defence.

It would be really fun to Both get both a Swedish fighter version

with the J35J being the most capable of the Figher versions (And the Swedish Drakens were able to carry Rockets both 75mm air-air rockets and 135mm air-ground rockets though its primariy role was certainly air-air so i dont think much focus was put on the air-ground role though the capability and the rockets was available)

and the Danish F35 Draken.

Both because it would be fun to have a strike version also and note the difference in how they handel etc but also because i would pay money to see peoples reactions when Heatblur Announce a F35 and how long it would take people to realize that its not the F-35 xD.

Also here is a great site for any who want to know more about the Draken and its different Variants.

http://www.airvectors.net/avj35.html#m3

Edited by mattebubben
  • Thanks 1

Aboot half the J 35F version had IRST (called J 35F2 in Swedenland to distinguish them from "normal" J 35F1's) and was introduced since that era pulse radars had a really hard time to cope with low level targets and this IRST (from Hughes) did that particular job better.

Anyone knows how the IR signature was visualized to the pilot? I don't recall ever seeing a scope for an IRST in a J35 cockpit. Was it using the same display as the radar?

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

Anyone knows how the IR signature was visualized to the pilot? I don't recall ever seeing a scope for an IRST in a J35 cockpit. Was it using the same display as the radar?

Not at all, to my understanding :)

The Hughes 71N IRST was integrated with the radar and gave the option to control the sight indicator if the radar was "blind" from ground clutter or ECM (range was always by radar of course).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is great! Excellent policy from Heatblur! Giving something back to the customers and building new ones. I may just purchase F-14, even though , sadly, I have little interest in that type. Gimme a AV-8B and I am happy.

How do we make AI aircraft anyways? We can get MV-22B Osprey from TurboSquid, comes in realtime, and high poly, complete with basic textures and UV layed out. How does that translate to a DCS World ready AI with landing gear, nacelle animation, damage, pilot skill , etc..?

Not at all, to my understanding :)

The Hughes 71N IRST was integrated with the radar and gave the option to control the sight indicator if the radar was "blind" from ground clutter or ECM (range was always by radar of course).

I read up a bit on this and you're totally right but I also found some other interesting details.

The IRST ("IR-spanare" in Swedish) was integrated with the radar so the pilot had the option to use the radar for ranging and the IRST for azimuth and elevation (he could of course choose to only use the radar as well). The IRST could also be used independently (with the radar off). Then the upper third section of the scope was used as a C-scope where targets could be detected from behind at up to 50 km and up to 80 km if the target used afterburner (i suspect that would be big targets like bombers then).

The J 35 Draken is a fascinating piece of machinery indeed! :)

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

but they (austrian drakens) did not have increased air-ground capability (to my knowledge) and certainly were not able to use the Maverick.

would have been fun to have interceptors capable of striking hm ? ;)

sigpic.png.4d2403c54e341ae5cf45e3309e87cb2c.png

• 2 months later...
The Gripen is one hell of a nice looking aircraft. Must admit I'd like to see a high fidelity model of it come to DCS, I for one would definitely go for it.

I'd also love to have it, but I'd probably give if a couple of decades. The plane is fairly new at this point.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

To be honest the A model has all the data you need publically available. Surprised no one has jumped onto it yet.

Does it, now? Where might I find that information?

Seriously, I think the only bit of the flight manual for the 39A/B that I've actually confirmed to be unclassified and available at the national archives library is the list of pilot memory items. Like, just think for like three seconds about it. The aerodynamical performance for the 39A/B is almost identical to the 39C/D. I can all but assure you that those performance charts are classified.

Guys, this thread is about the J 35 Draken...

May it come soon! :worthy:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...