Definitive use of MW-50

coopes

I know this thread may have been around before but i cant find a difinitive answer. More what people think it should be quoting references. eg 3250 + MW50 for 10 mins. Then 5 mins without before you can run 10mins again to a max of 40 mins.

So i decided to test it out.

I flew for 10mins @3250 with MW50

then 5mins @3000.

Then pushed back to 3250 with MW50. I made it for another 5mins before the engine seized. The whole test i monitored and played track back to check, all temps and pressures were in recommended operating at all times.

When the engine seized i watched it back and paused it. All pressures and temps are spot on. Then engine seizes and then the coolant immediatly goes off the chart. No pre warning just bam!

I really would like somethin difinitive from the developers on this as i find myself not using MW50 in combat due to not knowing how or when i should run it.

Is it moddelled on a timer?

What are the actual operating limits and times and for how long?

:thumbup:

If your interested in a realism WWII squad, drop by our Discord.

https://discordapp.com/invite/BK7kxZx

I know this thread may have been around before but i cant find a difinitive answer. More what people think it should be quoting references. eg 3250 + MW50 for 10 mins. Then 5 mins without before you can run 10mins again to a max of 40 mins.

So i decided to test it out.

I flew for 10mins @3250 with MW50

then 5mins @3000.

Then pushed back to 3250 with MW50. I made it for another 5mins before the engine seized. The whole test i monitored and played track back to check, all temps and pressures were in recommended operating at all times.

When the engine seized i watched it back and paused it. All pressures and temps are spot on. Then engine seizes and then the coolant immediatly goes off the chart. No pre warning just bam!

I really would like somethin difinitive from the developers on this as i find myself not using MW50 in combat due to not knowing how or when i should run it.

Is it moddelled on a timer?

What are the actual operating limits and times and for how long?

:thumbup:

Can you try again with manual radiator control? (Might can make a difference)

Hi genst,

this happens quite often, even with manual settings for the cooler. The problem is, that you dont see the water raise on the temperature display, like in the 109, so you could react.

This is how i observed it on the 190:

The water temp raise to the 100 degrees mark as it should, with auto rads. If you stress the engine with full power it will raise a little bit more to the max level that is shown int the disply. "L" = vertical line 100 degrees, horizontal line max. temp. So water is on the max settings, but oil is still on normal temps and will raise to max leve as it should. But now comes the difference between the 190 and 109. In the 190 the needle of the display will stay at max setting in the display, in the 109 it will go over the max, so you can see, the water starts to boil over and the engine is realy hard at the limit and you can react and open the cooler, before the engine gets killed. This is why it looks in the 190 like overheating from nowhere. You see oil is still ok, water is on max at display and than bang engine killed, because in real water was boiling but needle dont goes over max in display.

I realy think it is a display bug with the needle, that the needle dont goes over max position, to show you are at the real limit and have to open coolers.

regards

Little_D

Edited by Little_D

1./JG2_Little_D

Staffelkapitän

1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."

"The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

I've noticed this as well when my engine seized while doing the instant action dogfight against the P51. The engine would just instantly stop, and when I went back and watched the replay, I was quite surprised to see that my engine temps went from ideal to max temperature instantly when the engine stopped.

This must clearly be a bug of some kind.

• ED Team

The following is a poor way to communicate in a positive way on these forums, please guys, be respectful of each other, its not helping the OP seeing you guys go at each other like this.

You're comparing apples with oranges.. they have different engines, radiators, cooling systems etc. Stop with the nonsense.. but the clarifications on how radiators work won't hurt though..

Hi amazingme,

looks like are the guy that have no clue about what you are talking and how the radiators working in the 190 & 109 and how the german temperature display for water and oil where working.

regards

Little_D

Never said I was.. what about you.. what qualifies you to have an 'expert' opinion. Not that you had one, though. So, pls stop attacking the person who actually uses logic and common sense. Thank you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Also note our Fw 190D isn't actually running the highest possible settings - IIRC Platzschutzstaffel planes were rocking 1.98 ATA compared our 1.8. So the engine would definitely still have some durability reserves even with (I think) B4 fuel in DCS.

As such, he manual limitation (10 min at Sondernotleisting, 5 at Kampfleistung and another 10 at Sondernotleistung) should be achievable as long as there is sufficient airspeed to ensure there is enough airflow though the radiator.

Just my 0.02$.

Hi gents,

@SiThSpAwN,

sorry, but as i read what this gentleman wrote, the horses where running with me. As there is a problem and this problem has nothing to do with apples and oranges.

@to all

i think its not a cooling or engine problem, it is a problem with the temperature display on the Fw190. As the temp and the needle can raise over the max. mark, but only when the engin stops it goes over the max and not before. Also when it happens, the oil is still not on max temp, most of the time it showes normal oil temp. Normaly the needle should go over max. temp when the water starts to boil and not when the engine stops, like in the 109.

regards

Little_D

1./JG2_Little_D

Staffelkapitän

1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."

"The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

I agree there seems to be a bug. The engine of the 190 tends to seize after rather little action, without any indication. And when you hear the engine sound change it's already too late. Often when I have to climb I force the radiator flaps to open. But when I'm approaching the fight I have to close them because they cause drag. At that point I'm not sure: will automatic control manage the flaps or do I have to control them manually now?

Edit:

I re-reviewed the flight manual and it says on page 37: "However, if the boiling limit in the coolant tank is exceeded, the pressure begins to rise. Therefore, the pressure and temperature gauges should be watched at all times to avoid overheating and possible engine damage."

Now can somebody tell me where the coolant pressure gauge is?

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I agree there seems to be a bug. The engine of the 190 tends to seize after rather little action, without any indication. And when you hear the engine sound change it's already too late. Often when I have to climb I force the radiator flaps to open. But when I'm approaching the fight I have to close them because they cause drag. At that point I'm not sure: will automatic control manage the flaps or do I have to control them manually now?

Edit:

I re-reviewed the flight manual and it says on page 37: "However, if the boiling limit in the coolant tank is exceeded, the pressure begins to rise. Therefore, the pressure and temperature gauges should be watched at all times to avoid overheating and possible engine damage."

Now can somebody tell me where the coolant pressure gauge is?

There's no coolant pressure gauge, only for oil and fuel.

The radiator flaps will be in automatic mode again, when closing them completely. Then the system will open/close the radiator flaps to maintain a target temperature of 100°C.

This is the way i use them and never had a problem.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | 32GB DDR4 RAM | NVidia RTX4080 | MSI B550 TOMAHAWK | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Win 10 Pro 64bit | Track IR4 Pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals

• 1 month later...
Hi genst,

this happens quite often, even with manual settings for the cooler. The problem is, that you dont see the water raise on the temperature display, like in the 109, so you could react.

This is how i observed it on the 190:

The water temp raise to the 100 degrees mark as it should, with auto rads. If you stress the engine with full power it will raise a little bit more to the max level that is shown int the disply. "L" = vertical line 100 degrees, horizontal line max. temp. So water is on the max settings, but oil is still on normal temps and will raise to max leve as it should. But now comes the difference between the 190 and 109. In the 190 the needle of the display will stay at max setting in the display, in the 109 it will go over the max, so you can see, the water starts to boil over and the engine is realy hard at the limit and you can react and open the cooler, before the engine gets killed. This is why it looks in the 190 like overheating from nowhere. You see oil is still ok, water is on max at display and than bang engine killed, because in real water was boiling but needle dont goes over max in display.

I realy think it is a display bug with the needle, that the needle dont goes over max position, to show you are at the real limit and have to open coolers.

regards

Little_D

When im with max engine and less than 300 kmph i can see the needle goes above max

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk