1987-05-03
  • Is part of (Collection)

Preserved Industry and Transport
  • Recording locations

Duxford Airfield, Cambridgeshire, England
  • Recordist

Bergonzi, Benet C.
  • Description

Mark IX Spitfire. Engine ticks over for several minutes before plane taxis away.

http://sounds.bl.uk/Environment/Soundscapes/027M-C0322X0003XX-0104V0

Update,

I have sent a request to the Board to be able to use these sounds.

They promise a reply in five days.

[Question]: Dear Sir's,

I would like permission to use the Spitfire engine sound in a simulator.

The sim is DCS World.

The sound would be available to install in the sim without charge of any kind.

Free.

Full credit and any copy write and usage restrictions shall be included.

This simulator is the most realistic one available today.

It would be a Honor to use the real sound for such a iconic aircraft.

You can see the sim at

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/world/

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Thank you for submitting your enquiry to The British Library Humanities Reference Service. You will receive a reply within 7 working days.

Update 2,

I did a engine sound test using some of the sites sound i recorded.

Two small snipits of sound substituted in the correct place.

Incredible! What a difference!

With a little bit of editing this will be the cat's Meow!:D

The search goes on for a good cannon sound.:)

Edited by Hawkeye60
E-mail - Sound test
  • Like 1

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Excellent! thanks!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

IMO the in cockpit sounds in Spit are just on a different level compared to everything we've got so far. The sound was the fist thing that struck me after entering the pit and starting up the engines. Purely fantastic.

I don't know how much it reassembles the real think but I'm sure that ED did a great job of recording the real audio. This is no just a belief but looking on how the BS

there are much reasons to think that ED didn't do it in a different way.

I just hope that we're not running into situation that the sounds will be changed based on some yt videos.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

And I'm sure they didn't. The soundset, as of now, is a mixed bag of samples recorded off a Merlin (awesome idle sounds and high RPM external sounds), and some non-Merlin, generic engine samples, already heard in other sims. That's why although I admit the set is the best we've had for DCS warbird so far, it doesn't quite resemble the Spitfire (only in some specific RPM ranges), so the threads like this one will pop up every now and then until better default or custom set is ready.

Not a showstopper for me, though, at least not in this very early stage of post-release development.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

IMO the in cockpit sounds in Spit are just on a different level compared to everything we've got so far. The sound was the fist thing that struck me after entering the pit and starting up the engines. Purely fantastic.

I don't know how much it reassembles the real think but I'm sure that ED did a great job of recording the real audio. This is no just a belief but looking on how the BS

there are much reasons to think that ED didn't do it in a different way.

I just hope that we're not running into situation that the sounds will be changed based on some yt videos.

Some of the Engine sounds since the Hotfix arent even working so it's bugged atm

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Spitfire engine sound

Received this today,

British Library Reference Services

Hello Greg Pearce,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have sent your request to the relevant department curator. They will contact you directly.

Please be aware that the curator is away from the office and will not return until January 9th, 2017.

Best,

Steven Dryden

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to some good news, and another Spit Mod! :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 weeks later...

Spitfire engine sound files

I received this reply from GB today,

Dear Greg,

Thank you for your email.

Which spitfire recording would you like to use? If you could send me details of the recording that interests you we can then take it from there.

Best wishes

Cheryl

Dear Greg,

Thanks for letting me know.

I can send you an mp3 for no charge or I can pass you over to our audio engineer who will be able to prepare a wav version from the original tape. This does carry a charge of £20 + VAT however and you would need to wait for the request to be scheduled.

Which option works best for you?

Best wishes

Cheryl

I have requested both files and will pay for the wav version.

I will post a link to the files when I have them so members may use them to create a sound mod.

Any usage restrictions will be included.

Stay tuned............

• Like 1

Hey now, that's cool they're willing to allow the usage. nice!

Which spitfire recording would you like to use?

I found this statement the most interesting!

Wait till I get my hands, so to speak, on that engineer!:D

Stay tuned..............

Received this e-mail today!

Dear Greg,

I’ll send the mp3 later on this morning via Wetransfer so please look out for an email from them.

I have also attached a sound archive copying form which you will need to complete and then forward to our audio engineer Tom Ruane (email tom.ruane@bl.uk). I’ve filled in the recording details & description of use for you, so that just leaves full contact details and specifics regarding the format (bit depth, sampling rate etc) for you to complete.

Please feel free to mention that you have already been in contact with me about the recording and I’ve quoted you a £20 + VAT copying fee.

The required credit will be “courtesy of the British Library Board”.

Best wishes

Cheryl

Cheryl Tipp

Curator, Wildlife and Environmental Sounds

Sound and Vision

The British Library

96 Euston Rd

London NW1 2DB

United Kingdom

MP3 file below

I will provide a link to the wave file when I have it.

DECLARATION

For the purposes of supply:

"British Library" means the British Library Board, a body corporate established under The British Library Act 1972.“British Library Licence’’ shall mean a separate licence forReproduction.

“Client, You, Your” as appropriate shall mean the company or individual in receipt of this consignment andTerms and Conditions.

“Copyright Owners” shall mean owners of copyright in the Recording(s) and/or the work(s) and/or the performance(s) embodied in the Material.

“Material” shall mean an audio cassette (Dolby B), VHS video, DVR-R video, CD-R or any other format that may be provided to the Client in this consignment, including the Recording(s) and/or work(s) and/or performance(s) contained in any of the above.

“Reproduction” shall mean broadcast, public performance and any other form of communication to the public including by way of the Internet or copying of the whole or part of any Material whether altered or not,and derived from any Material by any other means.

“Recording” shall mean an audio or audiovisual recording of a single musical or literary work or spoken interview or sound effect or any other discreetly identifiable sound.

“Terms & Conditions” shall mean the conditions to which the Client is bound.

I understand and agree to the following Terms & Conditions:

a. The British Library reserves the right not to supply recordings at its discretion.

b. Provision of the Material is conditional upon payment of the British Library’s charges.

c. Provision of the Material is conditional upon the Client obtaining all relevant copyright permissions required for the making of the copies from the Copyright Owners in writing and submitting the original written permissions to the British Library priorto the copies being made.

d. The Material(s) shall not be put to any use other thanthe declared use by the Client without the prior written permission of the British Library and of the Copyright Owners.

e. No rights or Reproduction whatsoever are implicit in provision of the Material. For the avoidance of doubtany Reproduction will be subject to rights granted under the British Library Licence and, where appropriate, by the Copyright Owners.

f. The British Library reserves the right to make workingcopies (in order to reduce wear or damage to original recordings) as may be needed for the production of the Client’s copy, and to pass on to the Client any charges incurred by such extra work. Clients will be advised before work proceeds of any extra charges.

g. Orders are subject to a limit of six Recordings (no repeat orders) unless a specific commercial, educational or research project is named and agreed.

h. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions constitutes a partnership, agency relationship or joint venture between the parties. i. Until the British Library has invoiced the fee the British Library is not committed to grant any Reproduction rights, if appropriate, in the material by way of separate licence. If after invoicing but before payment the Client requests cancellation, the British Library may in its discretion cancel, subject to the Client paying a fee.

j. The British Library’s invoice shall be paid within 30 days of issue save in the case of broadcasting Clients where payment shall be made no later than the end of the calendar month immediately succeeding broadcast or use.

k. Material shall not be loaned, rented, delivered, supplied, sold, sub-licensed to a third party or otherwise disposed of and no use whatsoever shall be made of them by the Client without prior written consent of the British Library.

l. While the British Library takes all reasonable care in the performance of the terms herein, the British Library shall not be liable for any loss of any Material delivered to the Client.

m. All Material delivered to the Client shall be presumed to have been received in good condition, unless within 3 days of receipt the British Library receives notification of any discrepancy or damage.

n. The Client agrees to indemnify and hold the British Library harmless from any and all claims and expenses arising from your use of Material to also include the making of the Materials by the British Library. Under all circumstances, the British Library’s liability shall not exceed the amount received by the British Library as a fee.

o. Except as may be otherwise expressly stated in these Terms and Conditions, the British Library excludes to the fullest extent permitted by law, any warranty, express or implied, regarding the Material, or its availability. The British Library will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of the Material or its unavailability, including, but not limited to the loss of profits and any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages. The British Library has used reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy, correctness and reliability of the Material, but we make no representations or warranties as to the Material’s accuracy, correctness or reliability. It is your responsibility to ensure the Materials are fit for purpose.

p. The terms set forth in these Terms and Conditions, together with the invoice and the British Library Licence represent our entire agreement concerning the delivery and use Material by the Client.

q. The British Library reserves the right to cancel an order or suspend or delay delivery without being liable for any loss or damage if supply of Material is prevented or delayed by reasons of war, civil strife, riots, adverse weather conditions, fire, flood, labour disputes, accidents or any other cause or circumstances beyond our control.

r. These Terms and Conditions will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and the parties hereby agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English Courts.

SIGNED

Gregory Pearce

DATE

1/11/17

DATE

Edited by Hawkeye60
DECLARATION

Very British of us

I found this statement the most interesting!

Wait till I get my hands, so to speak, on that engineer!:D

Stay tuned..............

Yes we're still a bit formal, I've just finished working with an American company and now with a very British institution....I'm struggling with the formality required lol.

So did they hint how many recordings they have?

Excellent work thank you:thumbup:

So did they hint how many recordings they have?

No and I have not heard from the engineer yet.

I will e-mail Cheryl Tipp on Monday and ask her to check that my e-mail to the engineer was received in the correct dept.

Waiting is the hard part!

Sent today to GB.

Good day,

I have sent the form via email to the address you provided.

I have not heard back after a week.

Could you check to see that the form arrived in the correct dept. and to the correct person?

If there are other Spitfire engine sounds available, I would be interested in those as well.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Waiting.....................................

• 3 weeks later...

Received today,

Dear Guy Pearce,

Thank you for your Sound Copy request.

The cost of transferring NP10460 R1 C3: Spitfire starts up close to recordist to WAV file will be £54 (£45 + VAT).

We require payment in advance and can take a credit card number or a cheque in sterling drawn on a UK branch, made payable to "The British Library. Let me know if you would like to pay by card and I will send you contact details and an order number for our Finance department.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Regards,

Tom Ruane

Stay tuned...............

• 2 weeks later...

Status update

Here is where we are at.

Weeks later!

I sent the request form to the engineering dept.

I did not get a reply.

I waited...................................................

I sent another e-mail to Miss Tipp.

One week later she responds the the engineer never received the form.

I send the form to her so she may carry it to him.

One week later, he responds with a request number and a Phone number to call to pay the fee.

He will then transfer the audio.

I have to have the phone company UNLOCK the phone line so I may make a international call!

I call the number and after 10 rings, the answering machine picks up.

I leave a message. :cry:

DCS Merlin SPitfire IX has some sounds from the more aggressive sounding Griffon engine ! This is a huge downside for me for DCS reputation as a good researching sim team.

There are so MANY examples of sounds from these two completely different sounding engines that i cannot understand why they mixed it up !?

A Merlin Spit sounds nice and brave and perhaps a bit louder in the IX while under more boost; P51D as well. BUT a Griffon engine with much more displacement (like DB605) is like day and night !! OMG, even Warthunder did it better .....

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick