Carrier Deck Lighting - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
AG-51_Razor

Default Carrier Deck Lighting

I am pretty sure that I have seen something in here about this, but after going back 4 pages, I gave up.

I am wondering if it would be possible for ED to allow us to choose an advanced waypoint action for the carrier, like turning on the Tacan or activating the ILS, for turning on the flight deck lighting? I think that this would be very useful for Case 3 approaches during the day with poor visibility as well as allowing for a pilot to come aboard without having to mess with the comms menu at the same time during the night.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
flyco

Endorse this, very strongly.

Flew a Case 3 approach in nasty weather, and called ‘Inbound’ and got landing clearance. Lights were on but I bolted. Flew the recommended MAP at 1200 ft and turned onto finals to pick up ICLS at around 3-4 nm. However, by now the carrier lights were out. I thus had to press transmit - to select ATC - to select Stennis - to call ‘inbound’, and then to call for landing clearance. Unfortunately by then I was into the carrier round-down - Ouch!

Quite right - I shouldn’t have bolted off the first approach - all my own stupid fault! And I forget the maxim “First priority is to fly the aircraft”.
flyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
Silversmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG-51_Razor View Post
I am pretty sure that I have seen something in here about this, but after going back 4 pages, I gave up.

I am wondering if it would be possible for ED to allow us to choose an advanced waypoint action for the carrier, like turning on the Tacan or activating the ILS, for turning on the flight deck lighting? I think that this would be very useful for Case 3 approaches during the day with poor visibility as well as allowing for a pilot to come aboard without having to mess with the comms menu at the same time during the night.
Activating the TACAN for the carrier I believe is already an action under 'Advanced waypoint Actions', Agree the lights go off far too quickly, In real life surely they would stay on when recovery of aircraft is in progress, rather than switching on/off for each individual landing approach.
Silversmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Lostcat

I think the real problem is that during the day lights never turn on, even in very poor visibility... during the night when calling for landing i never had problems.
Lostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
AG-51_Razor

Silversmith, I was asking if we could get the deck lighting as an Advanced Waypoint Action just like the TACAN and ICLS.

Lostcat, that is exactly what I am asking for but it would benefit those of us that do have a problem with the lights at night after a bolter.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
USMC_Trev

Bump. This needs to happen. I don't want to mess with comms in VR to get the lights on just to bounce on the boat.

i7 4770K OC'ed to 4.3, GTX 1070 Seahawk (OC'ed), Oculus Rift CV1, 32Gb RAM, 64-bit Windows 10
USMC_Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyco View Post
Endorse this, very strongly.

Flew a Case 3 approach in nasty weather, and called ‘Inbound’ and got landing clearance. Lights were on but I bolted. Flew the recommended MAP at 1200 ft and turned onto finals to pick up ICLS at around 3-4 nm. However, by now the carrier lights were out. I thus had to press transmit - to select ATC - to select Stennis - to call ‘inbound’, and then to call for landing clearance. Unfortunately by then I was into the carrier round-down - Ouch!

Quite right - I shouldn’t have bolted off the first approach - all my own stupid fault! And I forget the maxim “First priority is to fly the aircraft”.
Not to dismiss the problem , but with VoiceAttack/Vaicom pro you need only SAY ""Stennis , inbound" .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
ScopeDope

+1 for some lighting love. Would also like to see the orange deck lights implemented.
ScopeDope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #9
MikeMikeJuliet

... and it would be of great utility to be able to control lights, tacan and other systems of the carrier via Combined Arms... then you can just say "inbound" to your fellow player and you're all set.

Regards,
MikeMikeJuliet
Old 11-09-2018, 01:46 AM   #10
AG-51_Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsmokey View Post
Not to dismiss the problem , but with VoiceAttack/Vaicom pro you need only SAY ""Stennis , inbound" .
Not to dismiss you really good suggestion, part of my request entails the ability to have the lights turned on at the discretion of the mission builder. So, if the mission builder has created a mission with low visibility in the day time, your voice command will not help.