MiG-29 EOS Scanzone left/right not working - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #11
Frostie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
...it doesn't look that way if you look in the MiG-29 manual(RL russian)

In "TP" mode, the cursor can be slewed +/- 30 degrees in azimuth and +/- 15 degrees in elevation.
I'm not following unless you're implying the eos only scans what is in the 6x4 target designator. From what the manual states the same can be said in DCS, the scan coverage is displayed as a fixed +/-30 +/-15 and the cursor can be slewed to these limits.
I would have thought the td would be a sensor focus eg. Radar or seeker.
Frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #12
Alfa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostie View Post
I'm not following unless you're implying the eos only scans what is in the 6x4 target designator.
No I am obviously not implying that.

Quote:
From what the manual states the same can be said in DCS, the scan coverage is displayed as a fixed +/-30 +/-15 and the cursor can be slewed to these limits.
Then I misunderstood what you were saying - I thought you meant that the target cursor was fixed to center in elevation.

Quote:
I would have thought the td would be a sensor focus eg. Radar or seeker.
Yes and what I was implying(theory) is that the shape of the cursor (6 by 4 degree box)might have something to do with the immediate FOV of the sensor.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #13
Dudikoff

Quote:
...it doesn't look that way if you look in the MiG-29 manual(RL russian)

In "TP" mode, the cursor can be slewed +/- 30 degrees in azimuth and +/- 15 degrees in elevation.
Those values should be the size of the IRST scanning zone which can be further reduced by selecting the narrow mode (then it's +/- 15 degrees in azimuth) so perhaps you misunderstood something when translating? E.g. IRST scanning head vs target selection cursor?

In the Yugoslav MiG-29 manual, I've found no such reference in regards to the cursor movement limits. Besides, what would these degrees mean anyway when the scanning picture is projected on the HUD?

Also, the cursor should be vertically elongated, apparently.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mig-29 kols tp.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	197445  
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 11-09-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #14
Alfa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
Those values should be the size of the IRST scanning zone
Yes of course.

Quote:
which can be further reduced by selecting the narrow mode (then it's +/- 15 degrees in azimuth) so perhaps you misunderstood something when translating? E.g. IRST scanning head vs target selection cursor?
I didn't see any reference to a narrow "TP" search mode in the MiG-29 manual - only a +/- 30 degree(azimuth), +/- 15 degree(elevation) displayed scan(search) area and a +/- 30(both azimuth and elevation) display area for the reticle(locked target). See attachments.

AFAIK the wide/narrow search modes only exists in the Su-27 "OLS" mode.

Quote:
In the Yugoslav MiG-29 manual, I've found no such reference in regards to the cursor movement limits. Besides, what would these degrees mean anyway when the scanning picture is projected on the HUD?
I have no idea what you are referring to

I thought Frostie said that the target cursor couldn't be moved in elevation("no height control"), but I realise that he meant that the actual scan zone cannot be moved in elevation - this confused me since the scanzone cannot be moved at all(fixed forward).

Quote:
Also, the cursor should be vertically elongated, apparently.
Yes thats what I was talking about - as you can see in the first attachment, the cursor is shown as a 6 by 4 degrees box and I was wondering about what this(the degrees) signifies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TP_mode_search.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	197456   Click image for larger version

Name:	TP_mode_lock.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	197457  
Old 11-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #15
Vatikus

EOS has 4x6 because its scan raster has vertical as primary axis, while radar it is horizontal and thus 8x4.

29 EOS does have wide and narrow search modes in real life, there is also possible to set gain of the IR sensor.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #16
Alfa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatikus View Post
EOS has 4x6 because its scan raster has vertical as primary axis, while radar it is horizontal and thus 8x4.

29 EOS does have wide and narrow search modes in real life, there is also possible to set gain of the IR sensor.
Ok thanks . I didn't find the info about the wide/narrow search mode, so I assumed that it wasn't there since the symbology looks different in the Su-27.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #17
Dudikoff

Quote:
Yes thats what I was talking about - as you can see in the first attachment, the cursor is shown as a 6 by 4 degrees box and I was wondering about what this(the degrees) signifies.
It's interesting how they left the scan zone in search mode compressed to match the bottom line (which indicates the scan zone direction) even though it's fixed on the MiG-29. Probably because there's a lot of commonality between the WCS systems between it and the Su-27.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #18
Top Jockey

Some doubt regarding R-73 Archer and EOS.

Only a few weeks ago got to realise that:

To get an R-73 seeker lock with Helmet Mounted Sight mode, EOS has to be switched on too.
(I know that also exists the Longitudinal Aiming Mode, where EOS and Radar are switched off.)

My doubt is, I thought EOS was merely a search / track sensor.
And the Helmet Mounted Sight alone, would guide the actual R-73 missile seeker head to the target.

So, by mere curiosity why is EOS needed too ?
HDD : WD 500 GB ( 7.200 rpm )
MoBo : ASRock H81 Pro BTC

Op. Sys : Win 7, 64 bit
Cooler : Noctua NH-U12P
Top Jockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:21 PM   #19
GGTharos
Veteran

It shouldn't be needed, the helmet sight isn't implemented authentically. For that matter, neither are the missile seekers, otherwise you'd see a lot more pre-emptive flare use to defeat HMS

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:56 PM   #20
Top Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGTharos View Post
It shouldn't be needed, the helmet sight isn't implemented authentically. For that matter, neither are the missile seekers, otherwise you'd see a lot more pre-emptive flare use to defeat HMS
Hello GGTharos,

Well, I really was in doubt.
But after some decades of flight sims where many procedures are done by instinct, and much internet browsing, sometimes one starts to get not so sure anymore.

Thank you for the confirmation.
HDD : WD 500 GB ( 7.200 rpm )
MoBo : ASRock H81 Pro BTC

Op. Sys : Win 7, 64 bit
Cooler : Noctua NH-U12P
Top Jockey is online now   Reply With Quote