The Rookie Thread

all i did yesterday was installing saitek x52. The HUD symbols were tiny and unreadable! how to fix?

Thanks,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

all i did yesterday was installing saitek x52. The HUD symbols were tiny and unreadable! how to fix?

Thanks,

is this maybe how i do it!

Default is :Snap[9][13]["viewAngle"] = 89.777544238285

New is: :Snap[9][13]["viewAngle"] = 100.0

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

• 2 weeks later...

Try not to laugh, but i uploaded a track of me trying full sim mode. I apologise for the first 90 secs or so as engine start up. And then the bronco ride begins. I put invulnerable mode on just so i can practice. You can see i have around 3 or 4 crashes and then the miracle begins. I manage to get some stability and fly(Sorta) although even when i trim my helo seems to want to bank right a little. Anyway it's a start!!.

chuckle.trk

Nice :)

Few things I notice. 1) For lift off, ease the collective up and nose forward slightly. Do not pull back on the stick to lift off. B)Your AP dampners are all off after your initial crashes. This makes it remarkable that you were able to fly as well as you did. C) Your rotors would have lasted for about 1% of your total flight time and that is the end when you had 0 collective. That stick on your left is not a throttle, you do not just keep it all the way up. IV) Keep up the practice. it takes a long time to get the hang of this helo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

You'll find with your transition to sim mode that the cyclic and collective behave quite differently now; when in flight (and in a hover) your cyclic won't be in the center anymore and instead be some way forward (and usually to the left, to counter some of the natural tendency it has for pulling to the right). From the perspective of the in-game controls and the control box display I mean.

Looks like as the flight progressed you were starting to adjust and transition to the changes, but after my brief experience with your game mode track before I can see where your initial control inputs were coming from :)

I'm not what I'd consider a good flyer, in that I don't have good technique or experience developed, but three things I would suggest getting the hang of are (other than making sure your AP dampers are engaged and regular trimming for your changes in flight, already having been covered):

1. letting the craft catch up with your control input, it will adjust and overadjust behind your own actions so gentler movements after the craft has finished reacting to your last inputs helps, more so than with the game mode.

2. watching your speed, making sure you don't exceed the little bar/notch on the hud (that's when the higher pitch warning tones were going off, as your indicated airspeed went above that bar.. since the position of that bar can change during flight, keep an eye on it). Adjust your speed primarily by adjusting your cyclic.

3. Keep an eye on your ascent/descent rate, the gauge is the fastest visual cue for me as you can easily see the subtle deviations from 0 showing if you're going up or down. Adjust the position of that needle by altering collective. As you alter speed or rate of ascent/descent, it will have an affect on the other, so change what you need to change, but keep those changes small(ish) and balance them out with adjustments to the other control.

Once you get a hang of those things I reckon you'd have a good chance of surpassing my modest efforts in short time. Since I've never formally introduced myself on this thread either, I guess I can drop in a track file too, but heck did I feel rusty and make some mistakes :)

So long as you manage that speed vs. descent/climb balance, a lot of other things end up just being extensions of that to get you moving in your preferred directions, even with the rust, stiction issues on the joystick, and using the unforgiving 'old' trim mode without any time allowed to center (that accounts for the lurching I get whenever it's trimmed, even if I do center the stick fairly swiftly -- excuses, excuses... :D ).

takeoff-wobble-land.trk

Edited by topdog

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

Yes, those are the ones commonly on all together from take off until landing (not necessarily though).

And the Alt Hold one, which comes on by itself when you engage auto-hover within the right parameters, but doesn't go out when you turn auto-hover off again, you have to switch it off manually or else be fighting against the system maybe unsure why.

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

Well I just got the manual and tried to start the thing from cold. 90 minutes later, I'm still looking for this switch and that button...

Looks like I have some reading and learning to do.

Eventually I decided i'd been at it long enough, so I took off, lost control, rolled the helo, smashed my blades and fell like a stone.

This'll work some day I'm sure! :D

For working out the startup sequence in the cockpit, it's hard to work out what switch does what, especially when you need to zoom in to read the labels. Check out this mod for custom tooltips by Baal: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/162/

It will provide you with mouse-over tooltips including shortcut key.

Best intalled using Modman

Rectum non bustus

At least i got to see my first rotor intersection! Should've killed the collective when i lost control!

I can read he tooltips when the mouse is over the switch, but yes, there are a lot of them so finding them can be hard. I may try the patched version at some point, but at the moment, I want the training files!

Last night made me wonder what I'd do without TrackIR

Complete newb question

Hi all, was just convinced to pick up the Steam version of this game. I'm really a helicopter sim virgin so I haven't even got the terminology down, but I want to learn (heard so many awsome things about Blackshark from m8s).

My question is, what causes the lower rotors to mash into the upper rotors? I'm trying to learn from simulation mode now rather than after I get bad habits from non-sim mode, which I tend to do in fixed wing flight sims like RoF. I had a crappy lift off to start with, managed to settle the 'bucking bronco' and begin flying along my mapped route. Decided to head back to the airfield because I was still having control probs, when all of a sudden I'm nosediving into the tilled field with alarms blaring. When I watched the track I noted that, on lift off, when looking forward along the fuselage starboard side my lower rotors were bent upwards almost into the path of the top rotors. Just before I crashed the catastrophic event was shredding the blades when the lower rotors touched the upper blades. Any ideas as to what may have caused this? I'd like to correct that :music_whistling:

Cheers!

First of all I'll remind you to get the extended user manual from the official site. It's a must! 27+ MB. Then the cockpit tooltips mod. It's not only about their size. They also give keyboard shortcuts! Exactly as astrospud said.

Then get the Flash cockpit trainer!

Hi all, was just convinced to pick up the Steam version of this game. I'm really a helicopter sim virgin so I haven't even got the terminology down, but I want to learn (heard so many awsome things about Blackshark from m8s).

My question is, what causes the lower rotors to mash into the upper rotors? I'm trying to learn from simulation mode now rather than after I get bad habits from non-sim mode, which I tend to do in fixed wing flight sims like RoF. I had a crappy lift off to start with, managed to settle the 'bucking bronco' and begin flying along my mapped route. Decided to head back to the airfield because I was still having control probs, when all of a sudden I'm nosediving into the tilled field with alarms blaring. When I watched the track I noted that, on lift off, when looking forward along the fuselage starboard side my lower rotors were bent upwards almost into the path of the top rotors. Just before I crashed the catastrophic event was shredding the blades when the lower rotors touched the upper blades. Any ideas as to what may have caused this? I'd like to correct that :music_whistling:

Cheers!

Extended manual, figure 4-7. The only comment needed - in Ka-50 the lower rotor rotates right so the right part of it goeas higher than its left when in fast forward flight (rotor blades deform). Everything is like on the figure for the lower rotor in Ka-50. The blades of both rotors come so close together because everything is the opposite way for the upper rotor. It rotates left and it's right sight goes down when in fast forward movement.

Sorry if I said it the other way around :)

Too much collective is the cause of rotor crash. Different situations allow for different amounts of collective. Key to flying the BS smooth is gentle movements and anticipating the chopper. It takes a moment for the chopper to respond to input. Make sure your 3 AP blue buttons are lit on the right side panel below the PVI-800. If you use the "left win" + "Home" key shortcut for starting the helicopter, they should be lit on take off. For take off, press and hold the trim buttong and tilt forward slightly as you are raising the collective. Once the helo is stable and your stick position is not changing, release the trim button and return the cyclic to center. The chopper will then fly itself at that attitude. You can make slight changes without pressing the trimmer button again. But, when you need to make major flight changes you will need to hold the trimmer button till your attitude is correct again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

I bought DCS Black Shark a couple of weeks ago and I've been working at learning the basics - so far I feel like I've got a somewhat shaky initial grip on cannon, ATGMs, and unguided rockets, as well as startup and basic management of the countermeasures system. I'm definitely still a noob though and need a ton of practice and more reading.

Would anyone mind taking a look at this track to offer me any suggestions, hints, tips, brash criticisms :P etc? Keep in mind this was just a basic training mission so I could continue to work on the basics - still learning radio systems especially. :book: I didn't practice Vikhr systems in this particular track because I wanted more time with the rockets.

FYI, at the moment I use a TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro and a Saitek Aviator joystick to control DCS: BS. I hope to get a HOTAS system pretty soon though.

Please ignore the strange view shifts in the cockpit, it's probably me taking a drink of Pepsi. :smilewink:

Thanks, and special thanks to JHzlwd for the nice tutorial page and training .miz files.

edit: Just want to give a virtual "high five" to Eagle Dynamics for keeping the PC combat sim world alive and well!

weapons testing.trk

• 2 weeks later...

ok I am having trouble getting started, kinda why i stopped playing when i bought it a year ago. it says to hit the pause/break key to get started but nothing works I am playing on an inspiron laptop with a saitek joystick. I enjoy other sims but this one is quite perplexing to me

Hello, can someone link tutorial or tell me how to use the radio, change frequency and etc... (I'm thinking about more advanced in depth features)

There are no such tutorials I know of. You should know that you don't need to change airfield frequencies ever (from 127,5 MHz ?), unlike in real life, so you're fine never touching the frequencies. However I think I recall a MOD that introduced real life requirements for radio tuning.

Datalink frequencies:

AFAIK needed only when more than 4 players on each side (blue, red, etc...) would like to use datalink and IFF ID numbers visible for team members on the ABRIS. If you're interested the answer is in the FAQ, IIRC.

Intercom source selector on the left panel:

There's a very short description of the switch in the extended manual (official download). Either this or use the Flash Cockpit Trainer (BS_Pit_Trainer.exe).

Other:

I don't use any other/navigation radios. Check them out in the extended manual.

ok I am having trouble getting started, kinda why i stopped playing when i bought it a year ago. it says to hit the pause/break key to get started but nothing works I am playing on an inspiron laptop with a saitek joystick. I enjoy other sims but this one is quite perplexing to me

You probably deleted the keyboard profile in the Controls menu. Use forum search function and search for reset profile defaults keywords. Definite answer is given by user USSR_Rik Please note that you only have to reset the keyboard profile to defaults, not all your controllers profiles.

whats with the gal that keeps saying "smotret ekran"? I keep watching the screen yet she wont show up ;)

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

could someone please post Tutorial missions for the tutorial videos?

1-Office

"as I say the names of the compartment look toward it and press the key that I say immediately-

PVR--> APU start

klick!

Wall panel --> Lights

klick!klick!klick!

Back panel --> U46

klick!

etc..

and for

2- startup

'' you have 30 seconds to cold start the shark starting.. NOW!"

with a countdown being displayed and a curve plotted for every time.

this would help make it more realistic as well as help with the learning.

just a suggestion

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Also most people don't realise that you can seriously damage the APU or at least shorten it's service life by not adhering to the timesinks IRL.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!