Inquiry about oculus Rift.

You have to ask yourself what's more important to you. Looking at the wonderful 4K scenery of DCS? Go with monitors.

Racking up kills with super human visibility? Stick with monitors.

Wanting to know what flying feels like? Go with VR.

The problem is that you don't know what you don't know. So pick a vendor that will allow you to return the Rift/Vive if you hate it. And the only thing it cost you is a few hours of packing and unpacking/installing. Even if return shipping is not covered, isn't it worth just to find out what all the excitement about VR is about?

At this moment ...... enjoying the beautiful scenery of Caucauss is more important for me.

There is nothing like flying low over the trees with a Mi-8 now.

The feeling that you get is from another world.

It still makes me sick sometimes when I am too tired or stressed and use VR, it has ugly pixels, cant see far but it is still miles ahead of any experience I ever had with 3D yet.

The only thing that makes me think is that I still feel sick sometimes. I just need more time, relaxed, I guess.

VR will be cool in 5 years, 2 goggles and 3 GPU's down the road, THEN it will be NICE & Smooth. Now it's an unpolished jewel, love it or hate it.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

It still makes me sick sometimes when I am too tired or stressed and use VR, it has ugly pixels, cant see far but it is still miles ahead of any experience I ever had with 3D yet.

The only thing that makes me think is that I still feel sick sometimes. I just need more time, relaxed, I guess.

VR will be cool in 5 years, 2 goggles and 3 GPU's down the road, THEN it will be NICE & Smooth. Now it's an unpolished jewel, love it or hate it.

I totally agree with you. I am thankful to everyone for sharing their experiences. I can clearly conclude that altough VR is an awsome experience but it is a comprimise of graphic quality. The new Caucauss is too beautiful to compromise the graphicsss and effects.

I have decided to wait for better models of VR.

Even at 1080P would be great, there would be no going back 2D, it's hard now to go back to a good monitor too! It will be interesting to see how the new VIVE Pro will be at 1440 x 1600 per eye, that's close to 1080p.

Like to see what the next rift rez will be? Next few years in VR and GPU's will be quite interesting indeed, I would be real happy with just that little bit better res, 1080P with Vulkan? 1440P well yes, but what hardware will run it? need some serious software and hardware magic for that.

I was never able fly formation well on a monitor, It's sooo much easier and way more fun in VR, DCS 2.5 still looks great to me in VR.

attachment.php?attachmentid=179437&stc=1&d=1519033113

This shot is from an old campaign for the Ka-50 to see if any missions were broken in DCS 2.5.

This ones for you Bit, the crypto king LOL.

Solar storm of 1859 "Auroras were seen around the world"

That would be real bad if it did happen :cry:. Send the world back 100 years at least.

Back when this happen, we didn't quite have the same tech available, so it wasn't that big of a deal at the time!

Screen_180218_104559.thumb.jpg.73646d296bbac005a51a1ad7a23b1996.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Even at 1080P would be great, there would be no going back 2D, it's hard now to go back to a good monitor too! It will be interesting to see how the new VIVE Pro will be at 1440 x 1600 per eye, that's close to 1080p.

Like to see what the next rift rez will be? Next few years in VR and GPU's will be quite interesting indeed, I would be real happy with just that little bit better res, 1080P with Vulkan? 1440P well yes, but what hardware will run it? need some serious software and hardware magic for that.

I was never able fly formation well on a monitor, It's sooo much easier and way more fun in VR, DCS 2.5 still looks great to me in VR.

attachment.php?attachmentid=179437&stc=1&d=1519033113

This shot is from an old campaign for the Ka-50 to see if any missions were broken in DCS 2.5.

Good point about the hardware requirement. I think anything equal to or above 1080 ti would be able to handle next generation VRs.

It can handle it now. But all of us VR types are putting a lot of faith in Vulkan! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

ok will vulcan give better performance in vr ??

It should do, depending on how it's coded into DCS.

blogs.nvidia.com/blog/vulkan-graphics-api

"Vulkan is a low level API that gives direct access of the GPU to developers who want the ultimate in control. With a simpler, thinner driver, Vulkan has less latency and overhead than traditional OpenGL or Direct3D. Vulkan also has efficient multi-threading capabilities so that multi-core CPUs can keep the graphics pipeline loaded, enabling a new level of performance on existing hardware."

Looking at the above, it should free up how the information is sent to the GPU (more efficiently) and with multi-threading, keep it fully loaded. Plus ED is trying, I believe, to split the simulation into a separate thread from the graphics.

This possibly would allow an average, say 4 core, 4.00 GHz CPU keep a 1080ti fed well, this will then put it back on the GPU's to get more powerful to keep up, then we can VR with 1440P each eye! then onto 2160p and GTX 8080ti.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It should do, depending on how it's coded into DCS.

blogs.nvidia.com/blog/vulkan-graphics-api

"Vulkan is a low level API that gives direct access of the GPU to developers who want the ultimate in control. With a simpler, thinner driver, Vulkan has less latency and overhead than traditional OpenGL or Direct3D. Vulkan also has efficient multi-threading capabilities so that multi-core CPUs can keep the graphics pipeline loaded, enabling a new level of performance on existing hardware."

Looking at the above, it should free up how the information is sent to the GPU (more efficiently) and with multi-threading, keep it fully loaded. Plus ED is trying, I believe, to split the simulation into a separate thread from the graphics.

This possibly would allow an average, say 4 core, 4.00 GHz CPU keep a 1080ti fed well, this will then put it back on the GPU's to get more powerful to keep up, then we can VR with 1440P each eye! then onto 2160p and GTX 8080ti.

Very nice onformation. But doesnt that mean that ED developers will have to recode DCS entirely from scratch. And IMO, there is a much easier option for developers to resolve the performance issues, that is, to make sli to work. Specially in VR.

That would be real nice 2 x 1080ti's, one per eye! expensive!

Not sure if Vulkan would allow ED to look down that path and split the GPU's? With more direct access .

It seems they are going down this route with Vulkan, so they don't have to re code from scratch, plus splitting the simulation and graphics into separate threads.

You can read more about it here, plus other things on ED's drawing board.

That would be real nice 2 x 1080ti's, one per eye! expensive!

Not sure if Vulkan would allow ED to look down that path and split the GPU's? With more direct access .

It seems they are going down this route with Vulkan, so they don't have to re code from scratch, plus splitting the simulation and graphics into separate threads.

You can read more about it here, plus other things on ED's drawing board.

That would be really really nice. DCS has evolved alot since its start. Yes there are a few bugs in DCS 2.5 but we should also appreciate the thousand things which are working fine. I mean the graphics etc have improved alot. I am sure it will keep on improving with time to come.

I totally agree with you. I am thankful to everyone for sharing their experiences. I can clearly conclude that altough VR is an awsome experience but it is a comprimise of graphic quality. The new Caucauss is too beautiful to compromise the graphicsss and effects.

I have decided to wait for better models of VR.

Since you are currently using a hat switch for view, a good compromise between your current setup and VR may be to get TrackIR. You will keep your higher resolution, keep your SLI benefits, AND you will have much better situational awareness and ability to look around (vs hat switch).

That would be really really nice. DCS has evolved alot since its start. Yes there are a few bugs in DCS 2.5 but we should also appreciate the thousand things which are working fine. I mean the graphics etc have improved alot. I am sure it will keep on improving with time to come.

It's not just a DCS thing though. DX11 has overhead that can't be solved with programming. Something that DX12 solves. But at this point, it probably makes sense to go with Vulkan given that every major graphics card vendor is supporting it and looks to be more efficient in using modern hardware.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1