Inquiry about oculus Rift.

Hello All. I am planning to get oculus rift cv1 for dcs world. There are a few question I would like to ask to the member already using the rift.

First. How is the pixel density and overall experience. I currently use 1080p lcd. How is the pixel density of rift as compared to 1080p lcd. Will it be Better or worst ?

Second. Are you guys able to read the instrument panel clearly. What about the HUD ? Is it clearly readible?

Third. Currently I use the hatch switch to look around which is pretty much ok. Is rift better for situational awarness and overall looking around?

Finally is it recommended getting a rift keeping in view the current pixel density etc ??

Thanks.

Hello, the VR experience will be dependant on your hardware. I got the Rift Christmas 2016 and since then I have upgraded my GPU to a 1080 and then upgraded my rig to the one you see in my sig. I can't fly 2d anymore because of the immersion factor of VR but your not getting 1080p resolution by a long stretch :) This is a drawback for some and the price of early adoption. New higher resolution devices are rumoured to be in the pipeline possibly this year but nothing AFAIK is official. If you can try on before you buy great but it is a gamechanger and if you have only looked around with a hat switch prepare to be blown away. Oh and I find it fairly easy to see the cockpit guages/dials etc VR also has a zoom function which can prove useful

:)

Feel free to ask anything else you may want to know :thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cibit's experience is pretty much mine as well.

Even with the current shortcomings in resolution, I just can not go back to monitor use. The immersion blew me away from the start, and continues to do so. Have had mine since Jan of 2017.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hello, the VR experience will be dependant on your hardware. I got the Rift Christmas 2016 and since then I have upgraded my GPU to a 1080 and then upgraded my rig to the one you see in my sig. I can't fly 2d anymore because of the immersion factor of VR but your not getting 1080p resolution by a long stretch :) This is a drawback for some and the price of early adoption. New higher resolution devices are rumoured to be in the pipeline possibly this year but nothing AFAIK is official. If you can try on before you buy great but it is a gamechanger and if you have only looked around with a hat switch prepare to be blown away. Oh and I find it fairly easy to see the cockpit guages/dials etc VR also has a zoom function which can prove useful

:)

Feel free to ask anything else you may want to know :thumbup:

Thats good information. I have dual 1070s, 16 GB 3200 MHz and core i7 7700K plus a couple of SSDs.

So If u r able to read the HUD and instruments then I guess Its good enough. The most important thing is the HUD where u shd be able to see speed, altitude and most importantly Target information.

Thanks for sharing.

Cibit's experience is pretty much mine as well.

Even with the current shortcomings in resolution, I just can not go back to monitor use. The immersion blew me away from the start, and continues to do so. Have had mine since Jan of 2017.

The rift CV2, whenever it launches, will have a better resoulution. But it will be expensive and also more demanding on the harware side. Considering my current harware the CV1 seems to be a better option.

The rift CV2, whenever it launches, will have a better resoulution. But it will be expensive and also more demanding on the harware side. Considering my current harware the CV1 seems to be a better option.

Indeed your PC is more than capable of running DCS on high settings and a PD of at least 1.5 I am unsure how SLI preforms but hey 2 cards are sure to help push those pixels

Let us know how you get on if you buy a rift and what your impressions are :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Take a look at the thread I started HERE Drag80. I have a decent PC with only a 1070 GPU, this is a large mission in DCS 2.5 with plenty of AI.

As you can see to make it playable, you have to lower the settings quite a bit. The Rift will make you feel funny a first, sort of like Motion sickness, it will take a bit to get your VR legs, "that's how much immersive VR is" you are there 1 to 1, 360 degrees, your brain thinks your there, the first time I took a jet up and drove it like I stole it, I had to stop and take the rift off, felt reel sick, recommend you not do that and work your way into it.;)

DCS is hard on VR, it wasn't design around it like the small VR games in the store, I recommend to get the best graphics card you can and matching CPU to run it, you need to have smooth game play, otherwise it will make you sick to, if it's lagging.

I wrote this before in another thread, you cannot really explain VR. You are in DCS, it's like putting on a fighter pilot helmet and looking out the visor with complete 1 to 1 movement tracking.:)

EDIT: missed your post, you'll be good, same system, you will only be using 1 GPU tho.:(

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Indeed your PC is more than capable of running DCS on high settings and a PD of at least 1.5 I am unsure how SLI preforms but hey 2 cards are sure to help push those pixels

Let us know how you get on if you buy a rift and what your impressions are :)

Thanks for the info. Just saw some videos where they are using SDK tool to boost up the pixels. Is it the same thing that u r refering to ? I mean PD 1.5 ??

Take a look at the thread I started HERE Drag80. I have a decent PC with only a 1070 GPU, this is a large mission in DCS 2.5 with plenty of AI.

As you can see to make it playable, you have to lower the settings quite a bit. The Rift will make you feel funny a first, sort of like Motion sickness, it will take a bit to get your VR legs, "that's how much immersive VR is" you are there 1 to 1, 360 degrees, your brain thinks your there, the first time I took a jet up and drove it like I stole it, I had to stop and take the rift off, felt reel sick, recommend you not do that and work your way into it.;)

DCS is hard on VR, it wasn't design around it like the small VR games in the store, I recommend to get the best graphics card you can and matching CPU to run it, you need to have smooth game play, otherwise it will make you sick to, if it's lagging.

I wrote this before in another thread, you cannot really explain VR. You are in DCS, it's like putting on a fighter pilot helmet and looking out the visor with complete 1 to 1 movement tracking.:)

EDIT: missed your post, you'll be good, same system, you will only be using 1 GPU tho.:(

I was able to work SLI on 2.2 with great success. If same applies on VR then I hope to get some decent performance. If not, will have to live with single 1070 with VR. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Edit: Just saw your video. one word . WOW

Edited by Drag80

Thanks for the info. Just saw some videos where they are using SDK tool to boost up the pixels. Is it the same thing that u r refering to ? I mean PD 1.5 ??

You can use the SDK tool but DCS has an option to increase the PD in the options

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can change PD in DCS under the VR options.

I tend to not go over 1.6, still testing DCS 2.5

PD = 1.0 => 2160x1200 resolution = 2,592,000 pixels

PD = 1.5 => 3240x1800 resolution = 5,832,000 pixels

PD = 2.0 => 4320x2400 resolution = 10,368,000 pixels

PD = 2.5 => 5400x3000 resolution = 16,200,000 pixels

Read more about PD here

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thats good information. I have dual 1070s, 16 GB 3200 MHz and core i7 7700K plus a couple of SSDs.

So If u r able to read the HUD and instruments then I guess Its good enough. The most important thing is the HUD where u shd be able to see speed, altitude and most importantly Target information.

Thanks for sharing.

Currently VR has no support for SLI.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR-API does not support SLI or XF, sadly.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The big performance killer is MSAA and so many of us are having to run the game with no AA in order to get reasonable smooth frames. Despite the lower visual quality (yes I do miss the visuals of the new map a bit) the sense of immersion is fundamentally game changing and most of us will never go back to 2D regardless of quality.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

The biggest killer fps settings for me its the water quality and civ traffic , i can run 2.0 ppd with this two on lowest/disabled , i strongly recomend play in VR , the immersion helps a lot , its other life, not even compares to a monitor ...about the reading huds and gauges, you can and should set a button on your controller to zoom, so when you need to look some better just zoom in , but playing in Vr its like a coaster ride , if you have stomach go for it.

Edit: i still playing on 1.5.8

There's been a bunch of talk on here about using MFAA (can be enabled from the nvidia control panel) vs MSAA but I haven't personally tried it yet.

VR-API does not support SLI or XF, sadly.

This fact drives me nuts, VR is a perfect use case for dual GPU since you should be able to use one card per eye very easily vs the issue of drawing alternating frames, alternating scan lines, checkerboard, etc and keeping the contents of the two cards in sync all the time.

There's been a bunch of talk on here about using MFAA (can be enabled from the nvidia control panel) vs MSAA but I haven't personally tried it yet.

This fact drives me nuts, VR is a perfect use case for dual GPU since you should be able to use one card per eye very easily vs the issue of drawing alternating frames, alternating scan lines, checkerboard, etc and keeping the contents of the two cards in sync all the time.

Totally agree. One card per eye with no alternate frames. makes sense. I think its the job of Nvidia and AMD to do this. They are just being lazy.

First. How is the pixel density and overall experience. I currently use 1080p lcd. How is the pixel density of rift as compared to 1080p lcd. Will it be Better or worst ?

Worse. It's like 720p on a very dirty monitor.

Second. Are you guys able to read the instrument panel clearly. What about the HUD ? Is it clearly readible?

Depends on the aircraft.

HUDs are generally readable, primary instruments too, the smaller ones and MFD's may require to zoom or lean in.

Third. Currently I use the hatch switch to look around which is pretty much ok. Is rift better for situational awarness and overall looking around?

Yes, by a mile. Though looking around is limited by your real world agility. :)

Finally is it recommended getting a rift keeping in view the current pixel density etc ??

Most people who bought it, like it enough to keep it, but not everyone. It's barely usable and requires some compromises.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Worse. It's like 720p on a very dirty monitor.

Depends on the aircraft.

HUDs are generally readable, primary instruments too, the smaller ones and MFD's may require to zoom or lean in.

Yes, by a mile. Though looking around is limited by your real world agility. :)

Most people who bought it, like it enough to keep it, but not everyone. It's barely usable and requires some compromises.

So do u suggest waiting for the CV2 model ?

No, it's up to you. CV2 is at least a year away, Vive pro will be out in a few months but it won't be cheap, Pimax is a big unknown (and already delayed).

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Situational awareness and depth perception are much better with the Rift. Plus having 1:1 movements between the real and virtual world is fantastic. Pixel density is less than satisfactory though and kind of ruins the whole thing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So do u suggest waiting for the CV2 model ?

You have to ask yourself what's more important to you. Looking at the wonderful 4K scenery of DCS? Go with monitors.

Racking up kills with super human visibility? Stick with monitors.

Wanting to know what flying feels like? Go with VR.

The problem is that you don't know what you don't know. So pick a vendor that will allow you to return the Rift/Vive if you hate it. And the only thing it cost you is a few hours of packing and unpacking/installing. Even if return shipping is not covered, isn't it worth just to find out what all the excitement about VR is about?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1