DCS on Mac Book Pro

Hello,

I have a Mac Book Pro and im looking to run DCS on it.

I understand that DCS is not native for OSX, i have installed Parralles where i have been able to install a clean copy of Windows 10, DCS is installed but when i try to start DCS it will load check for updates then crash?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I might look into Bootcamp but would of rathered use Parralles.

Thanks

It works until you ruin the left side MBPr fan :) ever since its a SQUEEKER haha

I always feel bad when I force my MBPr to run full fan load....hot surface all over...

Honestly, yes it works, but you ruin your cooling parts with it imho

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

DCS on a mac.... NEVER going to work properly!

You need a real computer for that.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

You were correct in the past. However with recent drivers and updates, Win 10 runs like a charm on a MBP. Its super silent now (compared to before when the fans were always running at high speeed).

In fact, I have mac OS not even installed on my work-MBP anymore, only win 10

I run it with zero issues and have DCS installed, but only for testing and mission planning. A real PC is required to effectively run the game, unless you want to run with really minimal settings.

You were correct in the past. However with recent drivers and updates, Win 10 runs like a charm on a MBP. Its super silent now (compared to before when the fans were always running at high speeed).

In fact, I have mac OS not even installed on my work-MBP anymore, only win 10

I run it with zero issues and have DCS installed, but only for testing and mission planning. A real PC is required to effectively run the game, unless you want to run with really minimal settings.

EXACTLY so.

A serious simmer uses PC. Period.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

I can run the Game on "High" setting no issues at all.

Agree the fans do ramp up but ony after an hour of playing

Come on be serious... Simming or gaming on a MAC is a no-go.

and even less on a Mac book...

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

11.jpg

You know very well that for serious

gaming and simming the PC is far superior

to the MAC, even more so today with Win 10 Anniversary update.

So quit struggling.

This discussion is over, if you don't want to accept it,that's your problem.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

ou know very well that for serious

So quit struggling.

Not sure why you replied to me on this. I don't even own a Mac and thought the image I posted was self-explanatory.

1113eh.jpg

:rotflmao: Love the laughs on here already! I agree PC is better but i own a mac to run my business on.

You know very well that for serious

So quit struggling.

Well, I am not on par with the above, "You cant game on a Mac at all" statement.

I game on PC's since the days of 386's and got my first Mac, a MBPr 15" mid2012, when it got out, so a few years by now.

My first year on DCS was solely on this MBPr via Bootcamp..and it worked good enough to get addicted and buy all modules of that time, even with a TwistSticks ( MSFF2 and Logitech Freedom Stick) and no TiR and no anything else that I use today, it still was FUN.

Agreed, DCS is a single-core monster and the 650M-GT was not powerful enough to get more than 45 fps at low-med. settings in 1.2.x back then, but most of the other games I used to play on the mac were great, McRae Rally series, F1, Wargames Europ.Esc., etc... those ran even better and leess troublesome than on the windows counterpart ( steam versions mostly ).

I also own a Asus ROG Laptop, it gets just AS HOT as the Mac when you torture it, no difference.

I owned Alienware/XPS laptop, same...

No, you cant say Mac ain't for gaming, that is far off any based experience I have.

Yes, WinTel boxes offer more choices in hardware and software, but also more troublesome.

Yes, a Mac runs out of the box flawless, no so sure with the few dozens MS's I manage.

If they'd all run Mac's I wouldnt have a job to do, as they need so little maintenance :)

Keep on using Windows and Outlook all over, make me happy, DON'T switch to Mac or Linux !!

The difference in my point of view is that I use, own and manage all three OS's and have no tendency to favourt one over the other after decades of fighting their flaws, each one has a few, some more but I dont bitch, I use whatever suites best and that is often not the one a novice would pick and use, based on his experience.

Would I buy a Mac for gaming ? Hell NO, I am an overclocker of the worst kind :)

Would I buy a 2nd MacBookPro for anything else ? def. YES !!!

Would I run a Windows Server willingly over a Linux Server ? Hell NO !!! prefer Linux

Do I need to run Windows Servers ? Yes, you almost cant avoid it and have to accept their world to some degree.

OS's and hardware....an everchanging topology

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

AMEN :notworthy:

Im just starting out on DCS still need to buy a Joystick!

I have a MBP for work so yeah im sure i will get a PC sooner rather than later!

Well, I am not on par with the above, "You cant game on a Mac at all" statement.

I game on PC's since the days of 386's and got my first Mac, a MBPr 15" mid2012, when it got out, so a few years by now.

My first year on DCS was solely on this MBPr via Bootcamp..and it worked good enough to get addicted and buy all modules of that time, even with a TwistSticks ( MSFF2 and Logitech Freedom Stick) and no TiR and no anything else that I use today, it still was FUN.

Agreed, DCS is a single-core monster and the 650M-GT was not powerful enough to get more than 45 fps at low-med. settings in 1.2.x back then, but most of the other games I used to play on the mac were great, McRae Rally series, F1, Wargames Europ.Esc., etc... those ran even better and leess troublesome than on the windows counterpart ( steam versions mostly ).

I also own a Asus ROG Laptop, it gets just AS HOT as the Mac when you torture it, no difference.

I owned Alienware/XPS laptop, same...

No, you cant say Mac ain't for gaming, that is far off any based experience I have.

Yes, WinTel boxes offer more choices in hardware and software, but also more troublesome.

Yes, a Mac runs out of the box flawless, no so sure with the few dozens MS's I manage.

If they'd all run Mac's I wouldnt have a job to do, as they need so little maintenance :)

Keep on using Windows and Outlook all over, make me happy, DON'T switch to Mac or Linux !!

The difference in my point of view is that I use, own and manage all three OS's and have no tendency to favourt one over the other after decades of fighting their flaws, each one has a few, some more but I dont bitch, I use whatever suites best and that is often not the one a novice would pick and use, based on his experience.

Would I buy a Mac for gaming ? Hell NO, I am an overclocker of the worst kind :)

Would I buy a 2nd MacBookPro for anything else ? def. YES !!!

Would I run a Windows Server willingly over a Linux Server ? Hell NO !!! prefer Linux

Do I need to run Windows Servers ? Yes, you almost cant avoid it and have to accept their world to some degree.

OS's and hardware....an everchanging topology

Not sure why you replied to me on this. I don't even own a Mac and thought the image I posted was self-explanatory.

Sorry, I meant replying to Le_Boon......

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• 1 year later...

I've been gaming since the 386. One of my first games was "Test Drive" on big diskettes (it took 5 of them).

I've had Pentium I, skipped to III, then my own power rig. Then about 10-15 laptops (which I didn't like since I've built all my computers beforehand myself, of which I could remember about 5 or so).

I've had NES, Amiga... err... What else? PS2, XBOX 360.

I have started sims with "Test Drive" then moved on to things like F-15C, F-117A, Retaliator. Then continued on to Team Apache, Longbow 1/2, IL-2, Apache-Havoc and KA-52 vs RAH-66, A-10 Cuba!, Hind, Strike Fighters 2 and pretty much every sim you can imagine.

Now I game on Mac and I've been gaming on a PC before. Pretty solid in Multiplayer (was an instructor for MiG-21bis when it came out).

Yes, yes you can game on Mac and I'm gaming on it now. And I could probably kick your asses while at it, since I own all the modules and know every platform (except maybe the Viggen) in DCS off by heart.

Problem? :spam_laser: :matrix:

Edited by Cunning_Fox
grammar, details

Yes, yes you can game on Mac and I'm gaming on it now. And I could probably kick your asses while at it, since I own all the modules and know every platform (except maybe the Viggen) in DCS off by heart.

Thanks. Needed a chuckle. :lol:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Congratulations To u know who on being the best simmer ever!

I hope I never meet you in MP cuz I be shaking in my flight boots...:helpsmilie:

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Sunday morning and your stove is broken ?? BAhhh no breakfast eggs.... :(

Oh wait, lets play DCS on me MBPr for 30min and we can fry da eggs above the QWERTY-pan.

Haha, it works, but it does get DAMN hot top left corner, very very hot.

I ruined my fan this way, 49,90 replacement..few screws and 15min. ;)