Engine questions: cruise

Mud

Hey folks,

I was trying to do an endurance flight, but just before I arrived in France, something happened to my engine ... I think :)

I climbed to 15.000ft, then once there went to -2 boost and 2000 rpm. Speed was around 200mph, fuel pump on, temperatures low. All of the sudden the engine stopped, with fire spewing out the exhausts. The prop was still wind-milling though. Cutting the fuel stopped the flames shouting out the exhaust.

Now my questions:

1) What happened and why?

2) I tried to restart the engine, but failed. Is it possible at all to do so in this condition?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Odd one - you are well within RPM limits at that Boost setting...

Had you overboosted the engine prior to the endurance test, i.e. during takeoff or climb?

If taking off from cold start had you allowed sufficient time to warm up the requisite temps and reach required oil pressure?

Did you defintely spawn in with 100% fuel - on a few missions I've made Spits are being spawned with less than a full fuel loadout with no interference on my part. Be worth double checking.

• ED Team
Hey folks,

I was trying to do an endurance flight, but just before I arrived in France, something happened to my engine ... I think :)

I climbed to 15.000ft, then once there went to -2 boost and 2000 rpm. Speed was around 200mph, fuel pump on, temperatures low. All of the sudden the engine stopped, with fire spewing out the exhausts. The prop was still wind-milling though. Cutting the fuel stopped the flames shouting out the exhaust.

Now my questions:

1) What happened and why?

2) I tried to restart the engine, but failed. Is it possible at all to do so in this condition?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Mud

What time did you fly at this rate? Did you add power to clean spark plugs time to time? The flame from exhaust pipes does not mean a fire - it is due to unburnt rich mixture from cylinders.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I think I flew in this state for about 15 minutes. I did not add power time to time.

Bad wording on my part as it comes to the flames, I indeed assumed the flames being due to excess fuel.

Just wondering what caused it specifically and if it's possible to restart the engine mid-air in a case like this.

Spoiler

• ED Team

Is it repeatable or happened once?

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I was able to reproduce it now on my first try to do so. Same parameters.

I included the track.

Best regards,

Mud

Spitfire Mud.trk

Spoiler

Update: created another mission where I start of in the air at 15.000ft and I was not able to reproduce. I did notice the temperature was higher and there were no clouds set.

When I have some time, I will recreate the weather conditions as in the mission where I actually take-off and see what happens.

Spoiler

Nope, when starting in the air I was not able to reproduce it.

Spoiler