T50-CM vs T50-CM2 Throttle

imacken

I'm considering buying one of these and need just a little advice.

From just looking at photos, the only differences I can see are smaller footprint and big reduction in number of buttons etc.

What are the advantages, if any, of the newer throttle?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for that.

Yes, I noticed the extra throttle movement, but I’m not sure I want that. I find the Warthog to have too much movement.

Re the button box, I’m not sure that would be practical for my desktop use.

Is the CM being discontinued?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Is the CM being discontinued?

Yes, sadly very soon you will not be able to buy the CM version

You get a better (more functionality) and easier to use throttle with the CM compared to the CM2.

Eg Virpil have removed 2 analog axis

How would you prefer to adjust the tension on the throttle handles (make looser or tighter) ?

1. CM stick and hex key into a receptical on the left side and turn to adjust

2. CM2, you have to remove the throttle from the mount (if mounted) , remove the bottom plate, make tension adjustments , then put it all back together

Edited by HC_Official

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Thanks. To be honest, I adjusted the tension once on my Warthog several years and have never touched it since - and it’s very easy to adjust on the Hog - so I don’t think that matters to me.

It’s the reduction in buttons/switches that seems like the killer for me.

What about the non CM (v2?) version?

What about the non CM (v2?) version?

CM (v3) = available to buy for a limited time

CM2 (v4) = soon on sale

all other versions are not available to buy anymore

No more pre-orders

Yep, thanks, I’m looking at used examples.

CM (v3) = available to buy for a limited time

CM2 (v4) = soon on sale

all other versions are not available to buy anymore

CM v3 ?? Where can I see some details about ?

CM2 v4 ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle (2 variants, V1 = detents + 4way hat switches, V2 = detents, 4way+push hat switches)

VPC MongoosT-50CM Throttle (one type, V3 = no detents + 4way+push hat switches, analog mini stick)

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle (V4 = no detents, 4way+push hat switches, analog mini stick, BUT removed: 2 analog axis, 3 buttons. is the forth iteration of virpil throttle design) you have to remove base the adjust handle tension

No more pre-orders

Wow that's a lot of versions in a fairly short period of time. Can get confusing.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am currently testing Version 3 against the TWCS, CH Pro Throttle and Warthog. By every indication, Version 4 is a serious downgrade. Who wants to disassemble a throttle to adjust tension? The mini-stick on Version 3 and 4 also does not naturally fall under the index or ring fingers. .... Not good.

This man gets it :thumbup:

No more pre-orders

Oh and also

CM, to adjust throttle handle tension insert a hex key into left side of base and turn

CM2, remove throttle from mount, take off bottom plate, make adjustments, put bottom plate back on, re-attach throttle to mount

No more pre-orders

Oh and also

CM, to adjust throttle handle tension insert a hex key into left side of base and turn

CM2, remove throttle from mount, take off bottom plate, make adjustments, put bottom plate back on, re-attach throttle to mount

Seems a little odd they would go in that direction, as sounds like previously it was a simple adjustment and is now not quite so simple.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

How often do you adjust throttle tension?

That really has nothing to do with how easily one can actually adjust the tension.

Don B

How often do you adjust throttle tension?

Exactly, that’s what I said earlier in this thread. I really don’t get what this is all about. I adjusted my Warthog tension once and that was it, even though it’s easy to adjust!

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone has different requirements. If you have a Warthog throttle, how often do you swap out the detents? I do it multiple times a week as I switch between aircraft with afterburners and aircraft without. Likewise, I like a heavier throw when I'm flying fixed wing, but as loose as possible for helicopter flight when I'm using the throttle as a collective.

How easy or difficult it is to adjust has no relation to how often you adjust it. It doesn't have to be difficult to adjust, as Virpil has shown in their previous throttles, and just because you adjusted it once and never touched it again, doesn't mean that everyone does the same.

Everyone has different requirements.

Exactly!