Viper's USPs?

imacken

For me, the main reason to want it is because it brings my own flight sim experience full circle, starting with the old Falcon 3.0 and 4.0, both having solidified my passion for the Viper both in sims and real life.

ED bringing it to DCS in all its glory is what I've been waiting on for many, many years. :)

^ This! :thumbup: :joystick:

..and also as a few have mentioned i like the HOTAS layout a lot, and now I have a force-sensor sidestick I am looking fwd to flying the Viper the way it is supposed to be flown in my reclined simrig...and that canopy in VR, aww yea.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hm well I'll be damned, we get a TPOD.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The 16C radar is as capable as the hornet really. I assume we are comparing the 68 (V9?) to the 73.

We are getting the 68(V)5 though.

Even so, the 68 has a smaller aperture size than the 73.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

We are getting the 68(V)5 though.

Even so, the 68 has a smaller aperture size than the 73.

Fair enough, but even the V5 had plenty of similar modes to the same era 73. I mean we aren't talkin an APG-66 from an F16A.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The version of the 73 on the DCS Hornet is much more recent though than the 68(V)5. For example, it will have SAR. Much more importantly, it will most likely have much higher detection ranges. That's not that important if you work with AWACS support, but still...

Come let's eat grandpa!

For some DCS specific reasons the F/A-18 carries CBU-99 and Rockeyes whereas you will be able to use the CBU-97 on the 16 from day 1 and CBU 103/105 later in development. Likewise the F/A-18 can only carry four mavs wheres the 16 will be able to carry six mavs.

They will have their individual strengths this way. The F-16 couldn't carry 10 AMRAAMs plus 2 heaters on a dare.

Plus it is an F-16. :)

Edited by Stubbies2003

(When mention an abbreviation the first time, you should spell it out as not everybody automatically is familiar with its meaning. Here, I assume by USP you mean "Unique Selling Point"?)

For me, the main reason to want it is because it brings my own flight sim experience full circle, starting with the old Falcon 3.0 and 4.0, both having solidified my passion for the Viper both in sims and real life.

ED bringing it to DCS in all its glory is what I've been waiting on for many, many years. :)

That's exactly my reason for getting it as well.

For some DCS specific reasons the F/A-18 carries CBU-99 and Rockeyes whereas you will be able to use the CBU-97 on the 16 from day 1 and CBU 103/105 later in development. Likewise the F/A-18 can only carry four mavs wheres the 16 will be able to carry six mavs.

They will have their individual strengths this way. The F-16 couldn't carry 10 AMRAAMs plus 2 heaters on a dare.

Plus it is an F-16. :)

Those aren't DCS specific reasons - the US didn't use the CBU-97 with their Hornets. If you can find anything showing they did, I'm sure ED would happily add it.

Those aren't DCS specific reasons - the US didn't use the CBU-97 with their Hornets. If you can find anything showing they did, I'm sure ED would happily add it.

On the other hand, if you load Mavs on the inboard stations of the LAU-88 on a Viper, at launch the plug that sits on the back of the Mav will hit and heavily damage the elevons.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Thanks for all your input. From what I have read, the main reason for buying the F-16 is because it’s an F-16!

Good enough for me. I just parted with my cash!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for all your input. From what I have read, the main reason for buying the F-16 is because it’s an F-16!

Good enough for me. I just parted with my cash!

Not that it matters much now, but for the record, there's more than that to the Viper.

For one, it is the only platform able to carry the HARM targeting system (HTS) pod. It's far more committed to HOTAS than the Hornet, comparable to the A-10C. You shouldn't have to take your hands off of the controls for most of the flight. It has better visibility, it has longer legs, the favourable T/W ratio, acceleration and turn rate make it a more forgiving AA platform. The smaller, older RADAR, lack of moving map and maybe the lack of internal jammer are the only big downsides vs. the Hornet i can think of.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Not that it matters much now, but for the record, there's more than that to the Viper.

For one, it is the only platform able to carry the HARM targeting system (HTS) pod. It's far more committed to HOTAS than the Hornet, comparable to the A-10C. You shouldn't have to take your hands off of the controls for most of the flight. It has better visibility, it has longer legs, the favourable T/W ratio, acceleration and turn rate make it a more forgiving AA platform. The smaller, older RADAR, lack of moving map and maybe the lack of internal jammer are the only big downsides vs. the Hornet i can think of.

Also, don't overlook the fact THAT IT'S AN F-16!! :joystick:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On the CBU-87/97 US Navy and US Marine Corps do not use those bombs, they are US Air Force weapons, so kinda simple reason why that is not used on the F-18

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

that is all ;)

This is actually pretty good......:megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol:

Thank you for sharing...I'm still loughing my ass off :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

I am not implying anything isn't correct. I am simply stating there are different reasons to fly and own both the F/A-18 and the F-16. Nothing more.

that is all ;)

Holy crap dude, you owe me a new keyboard... coffee went everywhere. The Viper section was hilarious. :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Nostalgia in my case. F-16 Combat Pilot was a first flight sim I played on Amiga. Then I went through all of Falcons and Novalogic titles. Viper is like coming back to 90s

Memories! I’d forgotten about F-16 on my beloved Amiga. Another good reason for buying!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Memories! I’d forgotten about F-16 on my beloved Amiga. Another good reason for buying!

Using sneaker-net... carrying the Amiga to a friend's house and linking them with a null modem serial cable to fly combat pilot against each other, I think that was about my first go with the F-16

Then as you say through various iterations of different F-16 simulations and now awaiting the DCS version to drop :)

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

They were even both initially developed to fill the same development program, the FA18 starting life initially as the YF-17 ("Cobra"), developed alongside the F16 for the Lightweight Fighter Program. As things went, the airforce chose the F16 and the F17 saw life later on as the FA18 under another, Naval, project.

In my opinion this is one of the greatest achievements of the LFP...1 development program resulted in 2 outstanding aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

You can copy the falcon disk on the amiga in workbench the game would load and play but on the runway 3 or 4 bullet holes would appear on the Hud and no take off :D

Edited by freehand