Will there ever be a SA342sim? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #11
swatstar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Delorean View Post
Oh man, really? So in fact you don't have any clue about what DCS is capable to do with helicopter controls. And it is doing it perfectly fine for over 10 years now, since Blackshark 1.0 and in any other helicopter module...

I'm giving up for now, maybe the announced big update will bring what it takes to make this a better simulation of the SA342.
Excuse me for don't have enough money for a FFB joystick
Old 05-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #12
BaD CrC

Self centered controls (like most of the joysticks available) are a bit misleading when it comes to helicopters since there is nothing like this IRL. I am using non centered/hydraulic damped controls for the cyclic and I found the Gazelle to be actually the hardest RW to fly compared to all the other choppers modules.

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #13
Alec Delorean

Since the beginning it's FM was strange, people were able to do crazy things like flying upside down etc. like with a fixed wing FM. And it's still like that, like a plane with VTOL capabilities. I'm pretty sure they are using a hack for fixed wing flight model instead of rotary wing. Also the body of the gazelle seems to be not affected by air (drag, density...). If you fly it very fast, there is no jitter, no vibrations not a single millimeter. It hangs in there, stable like a rock. Like if there is no air pressure to fight...
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #14
BaD CrC

Got a pretty hard retreating blade stall a few days ago while diving in a valley and not watching my speed. Didn't ended up well.
I hope this thread will not turn out into another FM discussion. Don't know about flying upside down but the Gazelle is a pretty nimble little chopper much more agile than all the previous DCS modules. IRL it can do some funny stuff:

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #15
Alec Delorean

I don't have a problem with the maneuverability, this should be natural for a lightweight powerful helicopter. I'm talking about controls (which are strange to bad) and physics (weight transfer, aerodynamics etc.). Check this: https://youtu.be/DQjszL8oPIE?t=323
See how it moves? How forces apply? How weight (it's still a ton) is hanging on the main rotor when it lifts off? Here in DCS the whole aircraft is just a stiff block flying on rails.
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:55 AM   #16
Intruder_360

I have changed the adjustment of my axes for the collective, its way smoother now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gazelle axes.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	210672  
Monitor: Asus VG248QE| Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD, 1300W| Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KS @5 GHz | CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Tower Cooler | RAM: 32GB G.Skill F4-4133C17-8GTZR | GPU:NVIDIA GeForce RTX2080 OC 8GB |SSD: Samsung SSD 860 M.2 1TB | Keyboard: Logitech G110 | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Gaming Devices: Hotas Warthog, Thrustmaster MFD, Thrustmaster T300RS, Logitech G13, Oculus Rift CV1

Intruder_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #17
Sephyrius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Delorean View Post
Has one of you ever tried to fly it with a FFB HOTAS? (G940 here) It's an absolute mess. It might be better to fly the gazelle with keyboard or force sense stick only.
FFB is broken, to the extent that even enabling it at all screws up flying entirely.
They also announced that theyd stop developing it - just fix the basic functionality - but not even that fix is in yet.
Even if it did work, the module practically demands that you run reduced cyclic axis saturation, which again breaks FFB, and the FFB curve options are, well, curves, so not good either.

I just fly with SimFFB running in the background, full friction and dampening, 25% centering (to keep it non-centering but also not slack, using an extension)
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #18
Sephyrius

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatstar98 View Post
Excuse me for don't have enough money for a FFB joystick
Just FYI, I picked up a used MSFFB2 for about €15 - as a spare for one I got got for €25 - , and seen several more listed.
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #19
Damcopter

Alec Dolorean, I sent you a pm.
Damcopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #20
swatstar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyrius View Post
Just FYI, I picked up a used MSFFB2 for about €15 - as a spare for one I got got for €25 - , and seen several more listed.
I live in Spain, searched a while ago and no one below 100€, and ofc second hand.