PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

I assume that this is designed to work with the Rift. Is that correct?

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Feedback can be tricky, either to give but also receive. I'm glad to hear Miles, that you have actively encouraged it. Which may encourage others to pass on their constructive thoughts too, which may improve what is already looking like an awesome addition to our hobby.

I did spend quite some time considering if I should mention it, especially as I would have preferred to offer an actual solution rather than just my opinion. I was going to try and sketch something out but time has not been friendly to me this week!

While I would agree that function over aesthetics should always win the day, my thoughts on streamlining the FCU was more along the ergonomics line in that if it's too boxy it may not feel as unobtrusive as something that echoes the sleek lines of the digit it is designed to sit on.

It also has to be said, many, including myself, would never shy away from a nice bit of eye candy! Consider if you will the problem. You need a form of transportation - if given the choice, which one would you prefer?

282?cb=20120412115555

OR

Bugatti-750x422.jpg

@ AKA_Clutter

I believe that the RIFT is what Miles has been working with, only more recently has he been trying to get the VIVE working (it had some issues with the sensor) so the short answer is yes! (Miles, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Personally, I don't care how it looks. Ergonomics in use and function in-game are all I care about.

I want something that allows me to quickly actuate buttons and knobs in the cockpit that doesn't require grabbing a separate controller and that doesn't interfere with use of a standard HOTAS. As displayed, your prototypes certainly seem to meet those requirements!

Personally, I don't care how it looks. Ergonomics in use and function in-game are all I care about.

I want something that allows me to quickly actuate buttons and knobs in the cockpit that doesn't require grabbing a separate controller and that doesn't interfere with use of a standard HOTAS. As displayed, your prototypes certainly seem to meet those requirements!

Me, too. I'm totally satisfied with the style showed in the pictures.

No need to change anything for me.

I'm really impatient and can't wait to get it. :joystick:

So, please fix the remaining technical problems and then you can send me the "beta" product.

In my opinion: Styling can be changed for other people (according to me multiple times) when I use it already. ;)

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

I certainly don’t want to see delivery delayed. I only said anything because Miles actively asked for feedback. His answers completely answered and changed my thoughts and showed how thorough a developer he is. I am sure once a couple hundred of us have it on our heads and fingers we will find any needed improvements. I have bought two HMDs and multiple monitors, joysticks, rudders and throttles over the years. If I wind up buying several generations of I consider it the cost of improving our experience.

Me, too. I'm totally satisfied with the style showed in the pictures.

No need to change anything for me.

I'm really impatient and can't wait to get it. :joystick:

So, please fix the remaining technical problems and then you can send me the "beta" product.

In my opinion: Styling can be changed for other people (according to me multiple times) when I use it already. ;)

Exactly, if we are going to use the car analogy it’s worth pointing out that they didn’t just invent the car and then build the Bugatti Veyron straight away. There were a few thousand intermediate steps to figure out what they were doing ;)

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I have to agree that I could not care less what it looks like. I'm not taking my OR to a fashion show. I can't see myself or the HMD when wearing it lol. However, I understand your desire for pleasing aesthetics.

The functionality is definitely where it is at with these. I personally, wouldn't burn to much energy with the cosmetics of these units. The game play experience change is going to be huge.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

Yeah, I gotta agree. Its not like we can actually see the things when in VR.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, I gotta agree. It's not like we can actually see the things when in VR.

No, but as I said (before my slightly flippant comment about cars...)

"While I would agree that function over aesthetics should always win the day, my thoughts on streamlining the FCU was more along the ergonomics line in that if it's too boxy it may not feel as unobtrusive as something that echoes the sleek lines of the digit it is designed to sit on."

My point about cars was to highlight the fact that the two vehicles do exactly the same thing. i.e get you from a to b. But most would choose the nicer looking model if given the chance (even though you can not see what it looks like once your inside it). If getting the Bugatti required me waiting a further 5 years before I could drive to work, well yes I may well go for the 3 wheeler...maybe...

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Realistically, this is not the be-all end all VR interface IMO. It however looks to be a significant step up in functionality from the current use a mouse next to the joystick, or fumble around with a touch controller (since I have an occulus). However I think the next step will be some sort of capto-glove type interface if I'm reading the DCS tea-leaves correctly. And IF that gets implemented decently in the next few months all this will mostly be for nought. To use that analogy, the veyron is coming, its just a question of how soon.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Not to be a beater of dead horses, but I agree that it doesn't need to look stylish. It can't. I think form should follow function, that being ergonomics, comfort, and durability in that order. Sure, companies like Oculus and HTC style their headsets aggresively, but that's just putting lipstick on a pig. Nobody looks cool with a VR headset on.

That said, I would look into trying to improve 3d print quality. Your printer may not be up to the task. (I forget which type you said it is?) The layers look pretty inconsistent, maybe an extrusion problem. If that's ABS it's not too bad I suppose, though I'm just an FDM printing newbie.

Realistically, this is not the be-all end all VR interface IMO. It however looks to be a significant step up in functionality from the current use a mouse next to the joystick, or fumble around with a touch controller (since I have an occulus). However I think the next step will be some sort of capto-glove type interface if I'm reading the DCS tea-leaves correctly. And IF that gets implemented decently in the next few months all this will mostly be for nought. To use that analogy, the veyron is coming, its just a question of how soon.

No, but at the same time (for DCS) anyways we don’t really need a full set of gloves either. Maybe a single finger glove with a haptic motor at the tip of the finger.

Personally I’m really looking forward to this version. Trackball is good but this will be much better.

Maybe Milesd is already planning something for his next gen project (he’s been producing project for years). Be interesting anyways

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

There’s something to be said for a 80% or 90% solution that is half or less than half the price of tracked gloves. Imho anyway.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. I have been following along with them. Today I finally completed all the FCU and HMS enclosure changes and tweaks for the initial version, and I am printing production units as I write this.

The FCU is function over form for now. It does look high and boxy, however longer or wider would present interference issues with those that have smaller fingers. The good news is that all components are modular, so if a new slimmer battery becomes available you can just replace your battery and enclosure with a new slimmer one. The current shape presents no issues when you’re in VR, it only looks cumbersome, but feels fine.

My take away from most of the comments is “just get the friggin thing done”. I think some of you have surreptitiously contacted my wife, because she has been telling me the same thing.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I will respond when I have a few more minutes.

Here is a pic showing the FCU’s, Rift, Vive, and Vive Pro Mounts.

PointCTRL_All_Mounts.thumb.jpg.dd12e12ee033bb646a4ff2a916416409.jpg

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

:yay::worthy::worthy: Looking great Miles!!!!

I’m throwing money at my computer screen but nothing seems to be happening yet. :thumbup:

Proud owner of:

Hi Miles,

Thanks for the update. Looking great and good to hear that the FCU's feel right!

I have a feeling that in a months time your product is going to come in very handy for the button-fest that will be the release of the F14! :)

Heres hoping that you can get this out the door by then...no pressure! :D

I think some of you have surreptitiously contacted my wife, because she has been telling me the same thing.

Heres hoping that you can get this out the door by then...no pressure! :D

Effective pressure has already been instantiated. :smilewink:

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Shut up and take my money!!!! Lol

I can't wait to get hands on with it. Don't pay any attention to the naysayers and such, Miles! I personally dont like the glove idea. This is going to be much better for me.

On another note, I installed a landing gear handle in my pit. WOW, that steps immersion up another notch!

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

On another note, I installed a landing gear handle in my pit. WOW, that steps immersion up another notch!

Nice 1! I've often lamented the fact that none of the main joystick makers has added a decent landing gear handle to their line up.