VR cockpit view too close

R1Lawsy

Hey All,

I notice in VR now all of the cockpits seem to be the correct height and distance in the default view when starting out.

The cockpit of the a10c seems zoomed in though - does anyone else have to move the view forward from default in VR? IF so is there a way to fix this permanently?

I can just move my head and use the reset VR button but im just wondering where the correct spot is and how i can set it for each flight.

thanks

Double click the mouse wheel, then hold down the mouse wheel and roll it back. The seat will move back. Depress and roll forward and the seat goes forward. I have a macro set in voice attack that puts me in the correct position via a voice command.

Use the cockpit seat height adjust switch as required.

Edited by BigDuke6ixx

The default viewpoint is too forward. I'm sure that the FOV is correct though.

I have to find a compromise between a credible head position against the headrest and the HUD which displays graphics too widely to fit in the screen (a common issue with the FC3 US planes)

Set you position with Rshift+Rctrl+ numpad keys (including / and *) then set this position as default (snapview) with Ralt+numpad 0.

Edited by Bogey Jammer

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

The default viewpoint is too forward. I'm sure that the FOV is correct though.

I have to find a compromise between a credible head position against the headrest and the HUD which displays graphics too widely to fit in the screen (a common issue with the FC3 US planes)

Set you position with Rshift+Rctrl+ numpad keys (including / and *) then set this position as default (snapview) with Ralt+numpad 0.

Apparently in real life the hud isn't fully visible and you have to bob your head a bit to see it all.

You have to bop it quite a bit in DCS though. I was just flying around trying to find a good 'head position', trying to match up what I can see in photo's, and what feels right, in terms of height above the seat, and distance to instrument panel and stick, and just general forward view. But when I do just some of that, I cant even make a 10 degree dive without having to bend my neck as far forward/down as possible, to see what Im actually trying to hit.

When I put the position where I think it should really be, then the HUD is more than cut in half.

Now I have never sat in a A-10C, or any military jet for that matter, but it makes little sense to me, to have have all that space above your head to the canopy. Why make it so high in the first place then? And also have so much HUD space below what is actually being projected on such a high HUD glass, in a ground pounder. I would think you'd want to sit as high as possible really, to be able to see as much of the ground as possible. That is after all where the business is at.

This is a problem in many modules in DCS sadly.

Ability to adjust the HUD projection up and down, is a feature I really mis. It really destroys the immersion bubble for me, A-10C and F-86 especially.

latest?cb=20130131223627

We are nowhere close to being able to sit in the above position, and have any use of the HUD too.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Sry for spamming, but was trying to find a video showing actual pilot position, that I had seen some time ago.

0:47 shows it really well.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately VR has exposed some 'descrepancies' in the scale of the earlier aircraft cockpits.

If I sit at the correct height to be able to see the F-15 HUD correctly (HDG tape etc), the seat cushion is around my belly button area...

I doubt DCS is wrong. It's most likely problems with IPD settings in individual setups. What DCS needs is a world scale slider like in Project Cars.

What's IPD ?

If the scale seems correct for every other aircraft, why should it be an issue for the F-15 and A-10 only ?

Is there any proof that the HUDs are too small irl ? Or is it modeling issue specific to these aged modules ?

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

What's IPD ?

If the scale seems correct for every other aircraft, why should it be an issue for the F-15 and A-10 only ?

Is there any proof that the HUDs are too small irl ? Or is it modeling issue specific to these aged modules ?

Interpupillary distance (IPD) is the distance between the center of the pupils of the two eyes. IPD is critical for the design of binocular viewing systems, where both eye pupils need to be positioned within the exit pupils of the viewing system.

Basically in VR if anything is 'off' with the IPD setting or implementation, things look the wrong 'scale' in the game. An optometrist can give you your exact IPD to the mm - mine is exactly 61mm. Feel free to google the subject, very interesting.

RaceRoom Racing Experience also has an adjustment for 'World Scale' that uses this IPD info. Makes a huge difference, but setting it requires some knowledge of what it 'should' look like IRL

In R3E I am quite lucky as I race the same car in-game as I have in the garage so I could just tell when the dash 'looked right' - which did involve some adjustment away from the 'default'

Not entirely convinced that this is the problem in DCS however...

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try raising the rift sensor, I ended up with mine sitting on the left hand PC speaker and for Gazelle and Huey seems fine.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Sry for spamming, but was trying to find a video showing actual pilot position, that I had seen some time ago.

0:47 shows it really well.

Thanks for posting this. I have never seen this before. Quality.

What a brilliant video. Great to see how they do it in RL. It also shows what a great job they have done to the simulation we love. So satisfying seeing stuff like this and it all seeming so familiar. Good to see that they use those airbrakes when landing just as much as I do he he.

When I fly this in VR I am constantly sitting there going "wow" just "wow"

Edited by Mule

Thanks for posting this. I have never seen this before. Quality.

What a brilliant video. Great to see how they do it in RL. It also shows what a great job they have done to the simulation we love. So satisfying seeing stuff like this and it all seeming so familiar. Good to see that they use those airbrakes when landing just as much as I do he he.

When I fly this in VR I am constantly sitting there going "wow" just "wow"

Yeah, same here! Still didn't got used to how cool it is!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

can you guys read all the instruments clearly enough? there was a recent price drop with the rift and i was thinking of pulling the trigger on it but i've never actually used one before and i hear such a mixed bag on quality and the effectiveness in some games. Dont mean to hijack the thread..

can you guys read all the instruments clearly enough? there was a recent price drop with the rift and i was thinking of pulling the trigger on it but i've never actually used one before and i hear such a mixed bag on quality and the effectiveness in some games. Dont mean to hijack the thread..

I can read them fine. If you're near sighted you might need glasses though.

There is also a mod floating around that increases the size of the font for all the A-10 cockpit panels etc. - quite nice for VR.

Increasing Pixel Density also improved clarity of fonts and instruments - but at the cot of performance once you start getting up to PD 2.0 (which looks awesome).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is also a mod floating around that increases the size of the font for all the A-10 cockpit panels etc. - quite nice for VR.

Increasing Pixel Density also improved clarity of fonts and instruments - but at the cot of performance once you start getting up to PD 2.0 (which looks awesome).

There's also the VR UI layer zoom that you can map to your HOTAS. Either way the 'I can't read the instruments' debate is dead now.

• 1 month later...
Double click the mouse wheel, then hold down the mouse wheel and roll it back. The seat will move back. Depress and roll forward and the seat goes forward. I have a macro set in voice attack that puts me in the correct position via a voice command.

Use the cockpit seat height adjust switch as required.

This works but the HUD symbols become obscured as it doesn't scale down. Is there a way around it?

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apologies if already mentioned..

A MUST have for me in VR..

Set your "COCKPIT VIEW" controls to something easy to find on your keyboard.. COCKPIT VIEW forward/back/left/right/up/down and adjust when u get into the plane (after hitting num5) and sit exactly where u like to sit!!

I have made it a simple habit and it takes me no time. I load in, hit "num5" then "cockpit view back" and "up" a tiny bit. done!

+1 on BigDuke with VR ZOOOOOM

Apologies if already mentioned..

A MUST have for me in VR..

Set your "COCKPIT VIEW" controls to something easy to find on your keyboard.. COCKPIT VIEW forward/back/left/right/up/down and adjust when u get into the plane (after hitting num5) and sit exactly where u like to sit!!

I have made it a simple habit and it takes me no time. I load in, hit "num5" then "cockpit view back" and "up" a tiny bit. done!

+1 on BigDuke with VR ZOOOOOM

Why not just save your preferred head position so you load in that way every time and recenter as necessary?

Rather than changing your head position every time? Just seems like a waste of time to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440