Tips and Hints

EvilBivol-1

We'll begin with a few tips and hints from the DCS Sabre producer:

1. After starting the engine, don't forget to contact the ground crew and request to turn off ground electrical power. Otherwise you'll hear back from the surprised ground crew as you roll out to taxi with the "cables" plugged in.

2. If starting from the ramp, trim the controls for take-off prior to starting the take-off roll. The Take-off Trim lamp on the instrument panel will briefly light when the take-off trim setting is set. Take-off trim is accomplished with the ailerons and rudder neutral, and the elevators set for slight nose-up action. Setting take-off trim helps to ease aircraft control after take-off.

3. A warning horn is heard in the cockpit when reducing throttle to Idle with the landing gear retracted. If Idle throttle setting is intended, you can silence the horn by pressing the Horn Cut Out Button on the left forward console.

4. The canopy cannot be opened at airspeeds beyond 215 knots, the pressurization system prevents this. If flying faster than 215 knots with the canopy switch set to OPEN, the canopy will open once airspeed drops below 215 knots and fly off the fuselage. The canopy can be opened safely below 160-170 knots.

5. Use the aircraft/cockpit shake as an indication of maximum G/AoA when maneuvering. When the vibrations occur, slightly reduce stick pull to prevent stalling as airspeed continues to drop.

6. Overstress/Over-G (possible above 300 knots) can cause accumulating structural deformation of the wings. This can lead to uncontrolled rolling and pitching action. If we obtain confirmed data on breaking wings on a Sabre, we'll add this feature in a patch. :)

7. A number of nasty surprises are present when flying at maximum airspeed: negative pitching moment, uncommanded roll, inability to maintain a sustained roll (especially when G loaded). To actively maneuver at maximum airspeeds, make sure you have a safe altitude margin, utilize the speed brake, climb to bleed off excess airspeed, and reduce engine power.

8. Use the speed brake to decelerate.

9. Reaching the aircraft's service ceiling of 52,000 feet is a tedious task that takes approximately 25 minutes. However altitudes of 40,000 - 45,000 feet can be reached in 8 -12 minutes. Still, doing so requires maintaining a speed/climb schedule or risking running out of energy and stalling.

10. Always trade altitude for speed (especially in combat!).

11. Maintain safe approach speeds when landing taking into account the aircraft's weight. Do not allow the airspeed to fall below recommended limits. If the airspeed does fall too low and a stall is approaching, do not attempt to chase the runway to "save" the landing, instead abort the approach, increase engine power, retract the gear and flaps and go around for another attempt.

12. Use the wheel brakes early to make sure you have a controlled landing roll and avoid panicked braking at the end of the runway.

Edited by EvilBivol-1
  • Like 2

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

When I asked the tower for taxi (Batumi), no response, even when set the freq to 131Hz on right panel. And after taking-off, \ didn't give a comm menu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

When I asked the tower for taxi (Batumi), no response, even when set the freq to 131Hz on right panel. And after taking-off, \ didn't give a comm menu

How do you operate radio on right panel?

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

We'll begin with a few tips and hints from the DCS Sabre producer himself (*cough* MiG-31 driver *cough*):

That's awesome, who is the producer? :)

I haven't got ATC to respond either.

Is there no Afterburner on the F-86F?

I can see the Afterburner on all the other planes in DCS but not for the F-86F when I am at full throttle.

It has no afterburner.

Edited by Sceptre

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Uboats,

Yes everything is OK,

With your F-86 you have many frequences pre-register, when you create one mission you must add all the frequences that you want in the Mission Editor.

In your Mission Editor you must click on Batumi airfield you can read three frequences as: 131.00 / 40.40 / 260.00.

In your ME you must enter 260.00 in the radio tab and like this when you're inside you cockpit you want call with the ATC (in ground or in flight) but you must choose the good frequence for Batumi: 260.00

Exemple:

Kutaisi: 134.00 / 41.00 / 263.00

Kolkhi: 132 / 40.60 / 261.00

Batumi: 131.00 / 40.40 / 260.00

If you cannot found this radio or frequence tab I can send you one screenshot...

I hope that my explanations are clear.

EvilBivol-1,

A great thanks for your tips and hits, it's very perfect.

Bye, Skull.

Uboats,

Yes everything is OK,

With your F-86 you have many frequences pre-register, when you create one mission you must add all the frequences that you want in the Mission Editor.

In your Mission Editor you must click on Batumi airfield you can read three frequences as: 131.00 / 40.40 / 260.00.

In your ME you must enter 260.00 in the radio tab and like this when you're inside you cockpit you want call with the ATC (in ground or in flight) but you must choose the good frequence for Batumi: 260.00

Exemple:

Kutaisi: 134.00 / 41.00 / 263.00

Kolkhi: 132 / 40.60 / 261.00

Batumi: 131.00 / 40.40 / 260.00

If you cannot found this radio or frequence tab I can send you one screenshot...

I hope that my explanations are clear.

EvilBivol-1,

A great thanks for your tips and hits, it's very perfect.

Bye, Skull.

Thanks Skull for the details :thumbup:

So I just put all needed freq into the channel list in radio tab right?

Then in the game, I do not need to tune the freq, but switch to the corresponding channel?

Edited by uboats

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

How do you operate radio on right panel?

first choose proper freq range, then beside the range indicator, there is a tune knob for accurate freq. Or just follow Skull's

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2. If starting from the ramp, trim the controls for take-off prior to starting the take-off roll. The Take-off Trim lamp on the instrument panel will briefly light when the take-off trim setting is set. Take-off trim is accomplished with the ailerons and rudder neutral, and the elevators set for slight nose-down action. Setting take-off trim helps to ease aircraft control after take-off.

Nose down trim for take off?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Before take-off

Note: The ailerons and rudder take-off trim position should be neutral; the horizontal tail take-off trim position should be set for an airplane nose-up condition.

VERY IMPORTANT: The horizontal tail Take-Off Trim Position Indicator Light on the instrument panel will come on to indicate when the control stick has been properly trimmed to the correct neutral no-load trim position. You should trim until the amber light starts to “glow” on the instrument panel. This will take about 5 to 7 seconds. The light will go out when the respective trim switch is released.

Wing Flap Lever – Should always be FULL DOWN for take-off, with or without external load.

Canopy closed – Next roll into take-off position, heading airplane straight down the runway. With nose wheel centered, hold wheel brakes.…

From a FSX F-86E/F manual

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

first choose proper freq range, then beside the range indicator, there is a tune knob for accurate freq. Or just follow Skull's

Tnx

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

Small tip until the Mig-15 has been made less "Über"..

Try to dogfight with a L-39ZA :)

I only have one issue with DCS and gunfighters like the P-51D and F-86F - Even If I have the pipper right on the enemy aircraft and keep firing, the enemy aircraft takes too little damage.

I had to almost empty all my ammo with the F-86F with the pipper placed right on the aircraft at appr. 200-150 yards.

And no - don´t tell me about bullet drop or deflection shooting.

With the guns placed so close, gun convergence or lack of also shouldn´t play in.

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I don't think manual tuning works for voice comms via the main radio panel.

The only way I can get radio communications going is by using the set channels on the UHF radio.

yes you are correct

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PRESS S and DO NOT RELEASE S (To enable nose steering) before and during your Taxi to the runway ! Be gentle on the throttle.

When you are centered on the runway and moving straight ahead a few

meters then you can Brake and release S. If you can map the nose steering

key to your joystick all the better.

Hitting and releasing S will make you crazy. :joystick:

Also most hard landings will result in your nose gear not retracting on the

subsequent takeoff.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any tips on how to brake during the landing rollout when your brakes are mapped to an axis? Should you press and hold at a slight travel of the axis? Should you pump with a lot travel? Pump with little travel? etc. I find myself coming dangerously close to the opposite threshold more often then I'd like and screeching like mad at the very end. I know they are mapped properly as indicated by the "Show controls indicator" panel.

Any tips on how to brake during the landing rollout when your brakes are mapped to an axis? Should you press and hold at a slight travel of the axis? Should you pump with a lot travel? Pump with little travel? etc. I find myself coming dangerously close to the opposite threshold more often then I'd like and screeching like mad at the very end. I know they are mapped properly as indicated by the "Show controls indicator" panel.

Screetching brakes were already complained about when taxiing slowly. Probably just a sound bug.

Screetching brakes were already complained about when taxiing slowly. Probably just a sound bug.

Ah I see. Practiced a few more landings and have had good results pumping with slight travel and then increasing the travel on the pumps as speed decreases. Can now reach a good taxi speed and get off the runway on the taxiway before the opposite threshold.

On a different note, while this plane is very easy to land, I find myself having to put unusually high amounts of forward stick pressure on final. Seems like both the air brakes and the flaps make this bird extremely tail heavy. Even with full nose-down trim I need to keep forward pressure on the stick to maintain ~145 knots and a descent rate of descent. Is this normal?

PRESS S and DO NOT RELEASE S (To enable nose steering) before and during your Taxi to the runway ! Be gentle on the throttle.

When you are centered on the runway and moving straight ahead a few

meters then you can Brake and release S. If you can map the nose steering

key to your joystick all the better.

Hitting and releasing S will make you crazy. :joystick:

Also most hard landings will result in your nose gear not retracting on the

subsequent takeoff.

trying to get used to the HOLD the "S" for steering. can be a bit of challenge, especially trying to get the nose wheel straight again for the takeoff, (right after you made a hard turn from the taxiway onto the runway).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Using Target (or some other program) you could script a button so that on first press it produces a 'key S down' function, and a 'key S up' on the second press.

Problem solved.

:)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Using Target (or some other program) you could script a button so that on first press it produces a 'key S down' function, and a 'key S up' on the second press.

Problem solved.

:)

batta bing, batta boom! :)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control