Kneeboard Builder (windows app) - Page 125 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #1241
tomekldc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandr55 View Post
Hi ! Attempting to install KneeboardBuilder failed. I can not understand why. When you first start, you indicated the save path correctly. I run the second time error. Please help. With respect
Hi,

I had the same issue.
It's an access error. Try to open the program with administrations "Execute with administrator privilege".
tomekldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #1242
tomekldc

Default Dynamic Render on the Kneeboard

Hi @AlaskanGrizzly and his team.
Thanks a lot for your work.

I have a question though :

Is the DCS Kneeboard capable of changing dynamically the render of the content ?
I'm thinking about writing messages inside the kneeboard that could change depending on the context.

Thanks for your help
tomekldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #1243
rocketeer

The kneeboard builder always generate 50+ pages of VAD charts. 2-3 pages per aerodome. One third are georgian, two-third russian aerodomes. I removed the russian ones as I fly only coalition. But the russian ones still get generated again. So many unnecessary pages to scroll through. Is there a way to remove some of these charts?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #1244
Weegie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer View Post
The kneeboard builder always generate 50+ pages of VAD charts. 2-3 pages per aerodome. One third are georgian, two-third russian aerodomes. I removed the russian ones as I fly only coalition. But the russian ones still get generated again. So many unnecessary pages to scroll through. Is there a way to remove some of these charts?

I haven't tried it myself but is there not an option in the setup with the builder to clear the default kneeboard?

Do you have Voice Attack? That absolutely transformed the kneeboard for me. I just ask for the Airfield (or whatever else) I'm looking for and VA will take me their then open the kneeboard and presto your chart is up.

Bailey incorporated this into his profile that can be found under the Input & Output section. If you want I can send you a profile with it. The beauty of of it is that the kneeboard scrolls even when you don't have it open, so you don't need to watch the charts paging up and down. You just open the kneeboard when VA has scrolled you to the chart you need, then open it up

Just a thought

John
Weegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #1245
klem

Quote:

You could use JSGME or a similar folder swapper and create a folder structure that mirrors the game structure, starting with the the mods folder but only including down through to the kneeboard folder for each aircraft and containing the pages you want.

When you use JSGME it will swap out the old folders and switch in yours. Similarly it will switch them back for you when you ask it to.

BUT I don't know how that will affect the integrity check on line.

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo / i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz / 32Gb DDR4 RAM / EVGA GTX980 GPU 4Gb superclocked / 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB storage / Windows 10 Home 64bit / 3 x 27" monitors @ 5760x1080 + 27" 1920x1080 in Tee format / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / X52 HOTAS + X45 miscellaneous controls / CH Controls Manager
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #1246
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
The kneeboard builder always generate 50+ pages of VAD charts.... Is there a way to remove some of these charts?
Actually, those pages are not generated by Kneeboard Builder ... DCS creates the kneeboard using contents from 5 places:

- Current Map ... generated dynamically by DCS

- Aircraft Kneeboard ... it's at /program files/.../DCS/mods/aircraft/{aircraft type}/Kneeboard ... not every aircraft has one, and some are dynamic (like the Viggen's)

- Saved Games Kneeboard .. it's at /saved games/dcs/kneeboard/{aircraft type} ... this is the one you modify with Kneeboard Builder

- Terrain Kneeboard .. it's at /program files/.../DCS/mods/terrain/{current terrain}/kneeboard ... here are the VAD charts ... not every map has them (only Caucasus and Nevada at the moment, wish PG had them too)

- Mission Kneeboard .. this one is within the .MIZ mission file ... not many missions have these, they are handy to hold a more detailed briefing and can be created by Kneeboard Builder.

So ... if you dont want the VAD, just go into the terrain path and delete them ... tough you will have them back when the next DCS update comes.

Quote:
So many unnecessary pages to scroll through
Seems to me that you are scrolling backwards, as the VADs are near the end of the Kneeboard .. try scrolling the other way

Last edited by Rudel_chw; 06-12-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:16 AM   #1247
rocketeer

Thanks guys for your info!

@weegie,
without VA, pulling kneeboard will already show waypoints for each mission.
I just installed VA this week, and Vaicom. I've been changing the choice of words to make certain commands understood more easily. I do use a command to bring up kneeboard by VA, then I manually scroll the pages. But how you are using it seems way more cooler.
You said you ask for airfield, VA will show it (like F10 map?) and calling up kneeboard will jump to that airfield's chart? It's that smart?
What would be the command to VA to jump to a certain airfield? Normally I just call that airfield's ATC for inbound approach. Not sure what you mean VA will take you there?

I looked at Bailey thread to see what you were talking about. So you can say the numbers and it tunes the frequency for you. Cool!
I was thinking, coalition side only has 9 airbases. I can put them on presets then just use presets on the VHF AM to quickly tune the frequencies. But Bailey's profile is even quicker.
I put all 9 georgian airbases' ATC frequency, TACAN, ILS, runway etc. into kneeboard builder. Then when i pull up kneeboard i see all at once in one page. don't have to scroll through the many pages of charts to find the frequencies. and I ignore the L/L coordinates etc.

the default map is displayed 90 degress sideways and show georgian and russian airbases. given that i focus on locating the blue side airbases to land, i cut off the left part of the map, make it enlarged max to the border of the pdf, and import into kneeboard builder. this way is does not appear squished up and is easier to read on the kneeboard.

@klem, thanks for suggestion of JSGME. i'd look into it.

@rudel, i'd try removing the unwanted charts from terrain path.
i know the vad are at the end. i deliberately scrolled backwards to check how many are there. eventually when i want to scroll through them, i still don't want to see unrelated ones there to keep it short.

Appreciate everyone's input!
Old 06-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #1248
Weegie

It just depends on what you want to do and what suits you best.

With the profile I have you need first to manually move the kneeboard to a set page, so as VA knows where it is to track the pages, then (like Bailey) do a reset when you jump into the cockpit to set the tracking variable to zero.

After that all it does is move the kneeboard to certain preset pages via a loop and counts up or down as it does so (I've also added the "[" & "]" commands into VA as well so if you use the keyboard VA can still keep track of where it is and adjusts its internal counter). Complicated it isn't, it's first grade school programming at best.

I find the detail (included) charts handy if executing a realistic approach or simply get lost on an airfield and want to know the path to the runway or find a ramp to park at. However when I had to scroll to get to them I just didn't use them as it was so much hassle to scroll forever.

I'll try to do a short YouTube to demonstrate, it's not a piece of brilliance but can be useful. I'll post it up then if anybody wants the set of commands to import I'll either put the profile up here or via a DropBox link if it's too big

If you have the paid version of Vaicom you can also use things like the "select" command and "select nearest" (in simple comms) too. Vaicom is superpowerful, but you really need to read the manual and go through all the setup, which takes a while and it an be quirky on the odd ocassion. It certainly has my vote as a great piece of software and it adds to immersion

Last edited by Weegie; 06-13-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spacing
Weegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #1249
rocketeer

I have the paid version of vaicom and yes i have tried the ATC select and crystal palace stuff. very cool.

can you share this profile that can jump straight to a specific airfield's VAD via a reset and track the pages? sounds very good too.

i tried bailey's profile last night. it does tune the frequency. impressive. but for UHF when i say the range that starts with two something, it'd end up with 20 something time and again it inserts a zero after two! regardless of how fast or slow the say the 5 digits. maybe the problem is my english.

VA and vaicom adds some much stuff to the sim experience, especially that random chatter that appears on the left or right ear. I also like the aliases.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #1250
rocketeer

I just saw a youtube where this guy charles darwin developed a VA profile that reads off the a10c startup checklist. then for each item he says 'check' and it says out the next time. OMG. really impressive. it's like having an instructor or copilot with you and sounding off the list while you check all the switches and levers. this is way cooler than calling up the kneeboard and reading it then checking the switches. i'm not sure if he's done with its development or how he plans to share it or sell it.