Get out cockpit and walk arround

MessiJ

• 1 year later...
Although it may not be high up on ED's list of priorities, I feel like it would greatly add to the game to simply be able to naturally get in and out of airplanes and do a pre/post flight inspection.

this. I went back to the airfield on burning skies WW2 server, walked around and watched a BF109 took off while my plane was parked in the background, really adds to the immersion. However, I'm not sure if the other guy saw me walking around.

I heard this was being implemented, but obviously it is low priority. Anyone whe ever ejected on the ramp after a mission in NTTR or PG and takes a walk around the base will know the breathtaking detail in areas you don't see. Try ejecting on the Indian springs ramp for example and take a walk behind the flightline. This detail is wasted currently.

Imagine, you design a mission and put a briefing together. You appear in the briefing room and get briefed by the boss, alongside your SP wingman or MP squadron mates before walking out into the sunshine and catching a ride to the flightline. You walk down the line to locate your assigned aircraft and climb aboard.

OR you eject over enemy territory. A squad mate or AI asset flies to your position in a Huey and you climb in the back where you get a ride back to base. I see no need to have to actually own the Huey module to ride in the back.

I think it would be pretty neat. Obviously low priority though. Vulkan implementation ect are more important.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

The pilot control with WSAD and mouse look with a couple gestures like salute, pointing and hand wave could bring more to the game.

Yes, we are still talking about flight simulator, but not anymore a singleplayer at 90's.

Someone couple years ago suggested a virtual bar where to hang. And I do agree that we would need something like that. A virtual debriefing space. A roster list, a projector with all the tactical information for the selected sortie, assets information etc. You would sit there and everyone would have a own client-side projector and data on front. Pilots could get the updated information there like the Viggen ELINT information once landed successfully and pilot enters back to "lobby".

19367-menu-M1-Tank-Platoon.png.a9951daab79d876ae29502ea66198a4c.png

The virtual pilots could there write down their own kneeboards, like choose the support units around the general area of the sortie and get them nicely added to the kneeboard. Meaning the pilots are there then building their mission in client-side sortie editor. Like look the reports on map, select the aircraft for task, add the waypoints to their sortie and assign the callsigns etc for flight as mark the target areas etc.

And then all those gets added to the server public mission list. Where everyone on the debriefing room can see on large map those waypoint lines and that way build a own situational awareness what people has planned. A CA owner could be there as well adding own sorties that pilots can choose to fly, so pilots do not need to do anything than select a pre-made sortie, or make own based reports that is received with delay.

When pilot ejects, the pilot needs to do few things to get the Search and Rescue sortie generated automatically.

1. Before ejecting, do a radio call of the coordinates of the general area.

2. After landing with parachute, open a radio and do a call and turn on the distress beacon with specific frequency.

Then pilot can jump away and there is the automatic SAR mission tasked and if no one takes it in specific time, AI starts it.

The pilot would have the animation for sprinting toward helicopter and warp to inside helicopter (no need for animation to climb in etc).

As well the SAR crew could make an radio call to downed pilot to move a specific location on map with coordinates (safer area) where the AI would control the pilot.

The AI would need many kind pilot animations anyways, and considering all kind ground crews etc are needed to be done, it is not much to really demand that virtual pilots could have some better animation and controllability for added content for the helicopter pilots as on the field operations, be it then just allowing pilot to walk around the aircraft to perform "check" of the weapons etc. Warping pilot in cockpit as out of the cockpit so no animation required for climbing etc.

So simply adding better pilot animation and walking, could open some other nice options for multiplayer as for the campaign etc. Where the campaign/mission briefings could be done in the Single-Player mode as well in the airfield, in a tent on FOB or at the carrier etc.

It would partially be similar to the old 90's simulators.

The last thing I still would like to see is something from the MMORPG/RPG games where you need to run from booth to booth or room to room to do things. It should be just click of the mouse/key to move across the different places.

In a future such animations would be very much required if wanted to do better multiplayer co-op modules like a SAM simulator where two players are operating same vehicle as CA players.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I use Cntrl+EEE to exit the cockpit after opening the canopy of my WWII fighters, after a mission, however you can't re-enter the cockpit.

You can use various views to look from the pilots eyes or view him from afar, and the HOTAS pitch for walking, backup and rudder pedals to turn.

I've walked all over airfields and into buildings and hangers etc with this command.

Edited by fiddlinjim

I see no need to have to actually own the Huey module to ride in the back.

I see ED has a missed opportunity to get the Co-Op modules be such that you can have free slots in them for those who doesn't own the module (but can install it anyways).

Like a getting a door gunner position for free, as it is so difficult to get someone fly with you as you are pilot or co-pilot and someone would be a door gunner. There would be far more players to jump to even AI piloted helicopters as door gunners if they would be free. You still would be restricted from other seats and controls than what the free could use.

A Mi-24 that comes could have a free side/rear door gunner. Mi-8MTv2 could have even the flight engineer seat free at the rear to help in the lifting and SAR operations. The ATC on the airfield tower, a GCI in somewhere else, a boom operator in AI controlled tanker etc.

Some could require a CA module (ground operations etc) and some nothing than installation of the module.

Eventually we need more content/action. Like have thousands of infantry located on the map, controlled by CA commander that would bring more and more gamers to create the whole military simulation for virtual pilots.

Playing with other people is fun when you can have the surprising and challenging element. Like alone being a requirement to get a SAR mission to pickup the ejected pilot would turn a lot of elements in game. No more would a pilot take a risks to die on the mission if it would have some kind penalties from not surviving. It would be the simulation of the "virtual life" that so many is willing to waste just to try something funny. Be it ejecting at the airfield or crashing on other players aircrafts etc.

A dedicated server could open a lot of performance capabilities to DCS multiplayer where we finally could do more than just shoot other aircrafts and look a chat/killfeed.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

+1

I admit it would be immersive feature to start on the ground in first person and the walk to your plane and climb into the cockpit.

And be able to get out without having to eject.

( ie look at arma 3 or star citizen fir good animation of climbing into cockpit)

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

in all the military barracks there is a room where the pilots gather and is called CLUB HOUSE and then when you start a mission you go to the BRIEFING ROOM the purpose in a mission and return with your own back home, but not with your plane. THE PURPOSE AND BRING THE ASS TO HOME.

bringing your ass home means that to finish a mission you have to go back to your clubhouse with or without airplanes. You have to go home by any means even with a rescue sar.

Edited by Xilon_x