8/19 Open beta version: Wake turbulence?

Voyager

Your formation reference is to be forward enough to see the cockpit windows of the tanker. That means the pilots can see you. I usually stay below their wings, though I have seen pics with fighters holding slightly above the wing level. You always start on the left side of the tanker and work over to the hose on the right, even if its the right hose. Then move to the right reform area.

Make sure you have wake turbulence turned on in the options. Both have wake turbulence (all the planes do).

It is on and I know they both have wake turbulence. I've gotten caught in it during rejoin when I'm not paying attention. What I'm saying is that I've never experienced turbulence while actually plugging up, which I thought was the question being asked....

If you follow correct procedures there is no point where you cross wake turbulence. You join up from below with minimum vertical separation of 1000ft until 1nm and visual contact, then climb up to observation area on the left of the tanker. You drop a little to precontact area - that's below wake turbulence too. Same with reform - move aft below, then right, fwd and up to join the formation. The correct formation in the reform is echelon right.

The wingman AI doesn't follow this procedures (go straight for AAR) so you just have to watch out for him - afair he doesn't get in the way in the training mission.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria