Pilot Gestures, useful wish, useless curio, other.

ouPhrontis

Pilot Gestures, useful wish, useless curio, other.  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Pilot Gestures, useful wish, useless curio, other.

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (discuss?)

This is not the first time someone put the idea out there, but I happened across these posts from 2013 and the response made me smirk;

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1705405&postcount=1

I think it would be great if there were a selection of pilot gestures that could be keystroke activated [snip]

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1705577&postcount=2

It made be needed if we get an F/A-18C for the cat launches....

To my mind they are more useful in ground-based milsims, but the mention of carrier ops might make it more useful than just flipping people off whilst in a 4G inverted dive, or friendly-in-Cherno-wiggle, so are pilot gestures on your wishlist?

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

one of the things about hand gestures irl is they are convenient. unfortunately our virtual pilot bodies are not such organic extensions of ourselves.

considering the effort of having to push buttons to command a specific hand gesture you might as well just reach for that push to talk button instead.

the other thing curbing this idea is that you might be giving them the birdie in an inverted 4g dive but it 99% of the time the other guy would never even notice.

the average dcs pilot has a hard enough time identifying the silhouette of the aircraft to be looking into a cockpit for a hand gesture.

Edited by probad

I'm in agreement, also on pondering about operations whilst on-deck, most if not all hand gestures are for ground crew, we currently don't have any human playable position for marshalling and though I'm sure there'd be plenty who'd love to fill that slot on MP, priorities exist.

Totally willing to see other viewpoints though, if someone has a compelling reason why such a thing should exist.

I do also know that hand gestures are used for signalling your wing, but due to our simulated chair-force limitations that's probably not going to be easy for most of us to see, let alone get the subtle nuances of a middle-finger to an index.

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Well i think there are good solutions like the wheel selector Heatblur is going to implement for Chester AI.

I would love to be able to make some one finger, two fingers ( ala Harrier ) signs on my cockpit.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

one of the things about hand gestures irl is they are convenient. unfortunately our virtual pilot bodies are not such organic extensions of ourselves.

considering the effort of having to push buttons to command a specific hand gesture you might as well just reach for that push to talk button instead.

the other thing curbing this idea is that you might be giving them the birdie in an inverted 4g dive but it 99% of the time the other guy would never even notice.

the average dcs pilot has a hard enough time identifying the silhouette of the aircraft to be looking into a cockpit for a hand gesture.

To be honest this is really just a good argument for ED to implement a mouse/hat enabled radial wheel menu system. They could use it for radios and perhaps pilot animations and I'm sure 3rd parties and modders could find other uses for it. Let content creators have custom menus that can be mapped to a button or key.

Whilst I'm not opposed to the idea I agree with probad

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

To be honest this is really just a good argument for ED to implement a mouse/hat enabled radial wheel menu system. They could use it for radios and perhaps pilot animations and I'm sure 3rd parties and modders could find other uses for it. Let content creators have custom menus that can be mapped to a button or key.

I think (but don't know for sure) that pilot bodies are implemented per module, so that any potential gesture system would also be modelled and coded per module.

I always thought it would be beneficial if ED maintained a 'DCS official' pilot body (male and female) with all the bells and whistles (so that it is consistent and customizable, including custom handgestures, motion captured getting in-and-out of cockpits, etc), and 3rd party developers then tweak it accordingly it to match the desired outfit, era, hand positions for throttle and stick, etc. Such 'unified approach' could thus provide a well animated, high quality pilot that is pliable enough for any and all modules. (I assume that everything is built to scale and a thus generated pilot should fit into any DCS module...)

I know, I know, I am only "dreaming out loud". :D

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 1 year later...

I've dreamt of that a lot too rrohde ! Would be such a sick upgrade ! (have custom helmet built in so that everyone can see how cool you wish you were)

Proud member of the french Virtual 31ST TOMCATTERS squadron :pilotfly:

Wishing for a DCS SUPER ETENDARD (MODERNIZED ?) :joystick: