Carrier's motion

oldcrusty

I just noticed a weird visual anomaly when I was taxiing around the deck.

The boat's speed was 20 knots. Headwind 10 kts and the waves were quite visible.

When my jet was stationary, regardless of direction I was facing, everything looked good. The ship's motion through water was clearly visible. Same when taxiing toward the stern of the ship.

When taxiing toward the bow, the motion of the ship was not visible. The waves were there but no water movement past the ship was visible... weird. I guess it's just some sort of illusion related to waves motion:unsure:

I just noticed a weird visual anomaly when I was taxiing around the deck.

The boat's speed was 20 knots. Headwind 10 kts and the waves were quite visible.

When my jet was stationary, regardless of direction I was facing, everything looked good. The ship's motion through water was clearly visible. Same when taxiing toward the stern of the ship.

When taxiing toward the bow, the motion of the ship was not visible. The waves were there but no water movement past the ship was visible... weird. I guess it's just some sort of illusion related to waves motion:unsure:

Some ships are so heavy, most waves don’t affect them. It’s usually the rolling waves that make them move around at sea. The carrier I was on, Shangri-La, was actually built in three sections that were connected by hinges. This kept the keel from breaking if the front section was on top of one roll, and the back section was on another, leaving the middle section in the trough. When we were at anchor, the waves seemed to go up and down with the ship seemingly setting on the bottom. Made some moves from ship to liberty boat, and vice versa, dicey.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Some ships are so heavy, most waves don’t affect them. It’s usually the rolling waves that make them move around at sea. The carrier I was on, Shangri-La, was actually built in three sections that were connected by hinges. This kept the keel from breaking if the front section was on top of one roll, and the back section was on another, leaving the middle section in the trough. When we were at anchor, the waves seemed to go up and down with the ship seemingly setting on the bottom. Made some moves from ship to liberty boat, and vice versa, dicey.

Perhaps I should have worded my post a little better... I was referring to the perception of forward motion of the ship.

Perception of forward motion is less noticeable in US made aircraft carrier for me compare to Russian aircraft carrier.

Also it seem one only feel the side-to-side rocking of the ship when you are physically standing on the deck in F2 view but once back in the cockpit of the aircraft, that rocking or heaving movement is absent.

It would take a real pilot/sailor to judge actual motion on deck.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

It's just a visual illusion. Since the carrier deck is closer to you, it's seemingly moving towards the stern when you are taxiing towards the bow, and the movement of the waves passing toward the stern is cancelled out with respect to the deck. This gives the illusion that the carrier stops, while it certainly doesn't.

It's just a visual illusion. Since the carrier deck is closer to you, it's seemingly moving towards the stern when you are taxiing towards the bow, and the movement of the waves passing toward the stern is cancelled out with respect to the deck. This gives the illusion that the carrier stops, while it certainly doesn't.

It's crazy but I think this is correct. I covered the deck with my hands while watching the video on my smartphone and I could not tell when the aircraft starts to move and when it stops. weird.

EDIT: it is even more visible on a 42" monitor while covering the deck. and as a bonus: just put the mouse cursor on the water and cover the deck. so, no bug, just an illusion to me.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

Normally I don´t like these posts like "I don´t have the problem" without any further explanation, cause they are highly useless to the person that has the problem.

But here you go:

I tested it. No track, no vid sorry. But I cannot reproduce this. My waves/sea move/s as intended, no matter the direction I taxi on the deck.

I can reproduce the illusion completely. I see it on the smartphone and on the big screen. But as soon as I cover the deck it is gone. It is just an optical illusion here.

The puzzling thing for me is that I experience this 'illusion' regardless of whether deck's relative motion is in my view or not.

Also, when approaching the bow and looking forward, the water is clearly stationary with reference to the front edge of the deck. As soon as I turn past 90 deg toward either side, keeping my eyes locked on the same spot in the water, the water starts flowing past the ship.

Anyways... I think I need to get away from staring at VR or even the pancake screen for a while or... stop boozing :D

There have been several visual bugs with water in the past few years.

For example, I remember one where the waves on the Normandy map would instantly freeze when you flew over it in a Ka-50 and turned on the Shkval. After turning it back off, the waves started moving again.

So it's quite possible something's going on.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset