Best Mods and or utilities as juni 2019

GulfWarFighter

Hello,

I like to know from die hard dcs mission editors

What is at the moment the best mods or utilities?

I am struggling with moose but thats my problem not understanding it at the moment.

So besides moose what do you guys use the most at this moment in time?

Edited by GulfWarFighter

The Utilities that I use the most are:

- OvGME Mod manager

- Kneeboard Builder

- Tacview

- Model Viewer 2, for livery & mods preview

- My Hotas programming software

- Teamspeak 3

- Msi Afterburner for performance tuning

- DCS Simple Radio

- Notepad++ for editing scripts

- WinRar for Mission file touch-up

And that's about it :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I am just getting started with dcs from flying years with bms.

I did own lock on way back but did not have a great pc back then.

So never got in to dcs style of mission editting etc.

5 year ago i did try dcs with a good pc but i did not like it back then.

Now with 2.5 i really start to like it.

I am waiting for 2 planes to come out, the f16 and the a6/a6e.

In the meantime i want to learn/getting up to speed with mission editor.

So thats why i ask what are the best/essentials mods and or utilities.

In the meantime i want to learn/getting up to speed with mission editor.

So thats why i ask what are the best/essentials mods and or utilities.

If you are just starting with the Mission Editor (ME), I would not start with Mods ... the big handicap of the ME is that its documentation is very inadequate ...

.. on /program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS/Doc you will find the manual "DCS User Manual" .. starting on Page 59 there is a whole chapter on the ME ... the problem is that it's very obsolete, dating back to 2017, but it will serve as an introduction and to learn its User interface.

After giving that chapter a read, you might want to try your hand at creating small missions ... and thereafter I suggest giving a view to the videos of this playlist:

If you have a background on programming, you could try to learn lua scripting, but again the documentation is even more sparse than that on the ME .. so I would start first with the ME and leave scripting for later on, when you have some more experience with the ME.

Best regards and welcome.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

If you are just starting with the Mission Editor (ME), I would not start with Mods ...a

If you have a background on programming, you could try to learn lua scripting, but again the documentation is even more sparse than that on the ME .. so I would start first with the ME and leave scripting for later on, when you have some more experience with the ME.

Best regards and welcome.

I have been schooled in computer.

experience in mission editing from falcon 4 when it come out in 1998 to first operation flashpoint untill arma 3 strike fighters 1 and 2. Falcon bms

Gtr2 compleet ai overhaul. Flying sims way back from sierra's pro pilot

This mission editor of lock on/dcs looks and feels like a hybrid of arma style and strike fighters

• 1 year later...

A couple to add to the list that I just found in the last few weeks and wish I had have known about earlier!

ScratchPad

(Ability to bring up a scratchpad and type down notes - kinda like a virtual interactive notebook). Especially handy in VR when the 'pen and paper' hack is more cumberson.

VoiceAttack

Ability to bind keystrokes to voicecommands. To be able to program things such as "Smoke On/Off", "Ground Crew" "Remove Wheel Chocks", (and many others).

FPS VR

Steam app that brings up a panel in VR that allows user to see performance information. Memory usage / GPU and CPU performance as well as the real / local time. (Handy to know when I'm playing too late!) ;-)

Any particular reason why it has to be "juni 2019"?

I highly recommend starting with the DCS World Wiki mission making section, and doing some small projects to get acquainted with the ME and/or scripting, e.g. a vehicle group starts moving when a player enters a zone, a message and sound is played when a unit has been destroyed, etc. There's also a quite a few mission editor tutorials, from simple to complex, on youtube and other media sites.

A couple to add to the list that I just found in the last few weeks and wish I had have known about earlier!

ScratchPad

(Ability to bring up a scratchpad and type down notes - kinda like a virtual interactive notebook). Especially handy in VR when the 'pen and paper' hack is more cumberson.

VoiceAttack

Ability to bind keystrokes to voicecommands. To be able to program things such as "Smoke On/Off", "Ground Crew" "Remove Wheel Chocks", (and many others).

FPS VR

Steam app that brings up a panel in VR that allows user to see performance information. Memory usage / GPU and CPU performance as well as the real / local time. (Handy to know when I'm playing too late!) ;-)

This list bears repeating.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Care to elaborate why this is so important for mission making?

I thought this would be more than apparent, but if you can't see the value, sure.

ScratchPad

As I am testing, I make quick notes of coordinates, places to shift assets to, things that have to be copy-pasted into map marks, etc. And they still appear on the screen in the ME unlike the non-persistent marks.

VoiceAttack

I use this for automating functions that I am testing while creating nested structures of menus, or anything that requires numerous sequential keypresses or inputs. Having it walk the CTLD or CSAR tree and test your pickups is a great example of using this to save time and speed up mission development.

FPS VR

Quite obviously - for checking the frame rate in your missions for performance. Identifying possible objects that are producing too many draw calls and tanking your frame rate. I have this on literally all the time.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

.. on /program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS/Doc you will find the manual "DCS User Manual" .. starting on Page 59 there is a whole chapter on the ME ... the problem is that it's very obsolete, dating back to 2017, but it will serve as an introduction and to learn its User interface.

ED actually made an effort recently to revamp the manual. In the said folder \DCS World 2\Doc there is the new DCS User Manual EN 2020.pdf

It covers all the basics of the editor, the various triggers and conditions as well as the advanced waypoint actions (pages 79 to 350).

What it lacks is some tutorials or walk through example. This existed in the past as an PDF that came along the DCS installation. I can't find it anymore however... I used that to get into mission building with the editor years ago...