How effective are the cannons against armored units?

Passero

I was just wondering... I build a mission where I put a few APC Sd. Kfz 251but my bullets don't seem to be able to go through...

It requires a few passes before it is destroyed while it looks a lot of bullets do hit...

I'm just wondering if it's me who is crap at shooting this plane or if the bullets are really not effective against these units?

I was just wondering... I build a mission where I put a few APC Sd. Kfz 251but my bullets don't seem to be able to go through...

It requires a few passes before it is destroyed while it looks a lot of bullets do hit...

I'm just wondering if it's me who is crap at shooting this plane or if the bullets are really not effective against these units?

In reality, most probably, you won't do any critical damage to a tank. In DCS you probably can kill it with sufficient rounds put on it.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

It's an AFV and thus pretty sturdy, so I'd be suprised if you could kill it immediately with .50s. IRL, you could always incapacitate the crew - but this, to my knowledge, is not modelled.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

anything more armoured then a half track would likely struggle, the way dcs does damage is strange though, i've destroyed ships with a few thousand 50 cal rounds yet i can't kill a tank.

It was also true in reality.

During the Failaise gap retreat in 44’, RAF and USAF strike aircraft claimed a large number of tank kills. When the army caught up, they conducted an analysis of the carnage and found that hardly any tanks were genuinely knocked out by the aircraft.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Autocannons for example 20mm or 30mm are quite effective against light armor, if proper ammunition is loaded.

MGs from P-51 are a a lot less effective.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

From what height do you need to start because even if I start at 7000 foot I am unable to kill it in one pass... It will have 20% damage or so if I'm lucky but usually less...

You don't need a lot of altitude or speed. Your not going to fire until your inside gun convergence range.

Here's a trk. You need Normandy, WW2 pack and the P-51.

P51vCM_01.trk

oh... Don't have Normandy... just the default map... I do have the WW2 pack but can't buy all at once :)

I also find it very difficult to beat the AAA units as they shoot back... when I go in with a high AoA, I usually get shot because it's rather easy for them to hit me...

Yep, you would need to clear threats in the best sequence for your survival. Unless your plan is 1 pass and haul ass.

AAA and flak have some limits to their rotation speed. Sometimes this can help you if you are not alone, or if you can make the turn around fast enough. Also, don't follow a strait line into them. This just helps them hit you. You need to sway, bob, weave, and generally keep them guessing as to where you will be. Even as good as the AI targeting is, it still needs to predict and lead to hit you.

Also, don't follow a strait line into them.

Yep. Using a concave flight path helps as well, you just need to avoid pancaking your crate at the end. But it's doable and survivable still.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.