Dogfighting the Spitfire

I've been flying the German props a bit lately and while I have no issue fighting against AI Mustangs and just cannot seem to fight the AI Spitfires. They just seem to be able to turn on a dim and latch to your tail and never let go. Even my AI wingmen are hopeless to them.

So what do you experienced German pilots do to fight the Spitfire? Particularly in the Fw190D-9 given I really don't see many strengths in her. She's gets outturned and I don't find her faster than the others.

I've been flying the German props a bit lately and while I have no issue fighting against AI Mustangs and just cannot seem to fight the AI Spitfires. They just seem to be able to turn on a dim and latch to your tail and never let go. Even my AI wingmen are hopeless to them.

So what do you experienced German pilots do to fight the Spitfire? Particularly in the Fw190D-9 given I really don't see many strengths in her. She's gets outturned and I don't find her faster than the others.

what dificulty is set on your AI oponents if the highest is set. AI in the highest difuculty is using phisics laws from other dimention set it to easy this will make your life easier if you want proper challange join online pvp server

basicly AI dont use PFM like players do. so at high dificulty ai will hit you from 500m and more and spitfire will catch up to bf109 in vertical climb no problemo

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Don't bother with offline play in the warbirds, unless you have a campaign or something with a stoy you are working through.

The AI has a simple flight model which allows the aircraft/ pilot to execute maneuvers which are not possible for humans. They are also able to claculate the precise location for placing defelction shots, which of course they execute perfectly.

Finally, the AI will often all target the first aircraft that comes into their sphere. As this is often the human (with his AI wingmen trailing behind) this means you have to fight off all the bandits yourself.

If you go online, and fly against humans you will exeprience a much more believeable combat environment.

In short, the DCS AI is bogus and has been for years. It's less noticeable with the long-range missle play of hte modern jets, but (perhaps in a bit of surprise news for some, DCS has more modules than the F18 and F14) for close up fighting (which is the only option in the WW2 aircraft) the problems become glaringly obvious and borderline game-breaking.

• Like 1

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Fully aware that they don't use the PFM but I was probably expecting the AI to be more dumb like the other prop AIs to compensate for my (lack of) ability :D.

I had it only the default skill setting but when I reduced it to the easiest I latest a little longer and got a few pot shots off but they still minced me and my wingmen.

Fully aware that they don't use the PFM but I was probably expecting the AI to be more dumb like the other prop AIs to compensate for my (lack of) ability :D.

I had it only the default skill setting but when I reduced it to the easiest I latest a little longer and got a few pot shots off but they still minced me and my wingmen.

practise pracitse that is only answer

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

This is odd, becasue if I set up 4xFW190 v 4xspitfires with me in one of the spitfires, I almost always loose 2 or more of my wingmen in the fight.

What happenes if you put 4xFw190 v 4xSpitfires, all AI of the same level and let them duel it out. Do you always get 4 dead 190's and no dead Spitfires?

practise pracitse that is only answer

Yeah practise would help a lot, still not sure what strengths the Fw190 has that I can use to my advantage though.

This is odd, becasue if I set up 4xFW190 v 4xspitfires with me in one of the spitfires, I almost always loose 2 or more of my wingmen in the fight.

What happenes if you put 4xFw190 v 4xSpitfires, all AI of the same level and let them duel it out. Do you always get 4 dead 190's and no dead Spitfires?

Yep ran it twice just then, 4 dead 190s and pristine Spitfires, not a German gun fired.

I might look into (the ever daunting) online gameplay soon, I'll need clean up some of my skills in the warbirds first though. What's the best bet to go to that's casual and suits a player from Australia (with rubbish internet and all).

Yep ran it twice just then, 4 dead 190s and pristine Spitfires, not a German gun fired.

I might look into (the ever daunting) online gameplay soon, I'll need clean up some of my skills in the warbirds first though. What's the best bet to go to that's casual and suits a player from Australia (with rubbish internet and all).

OK, That seems farily convincing. There's nothing about the historical Spitfire 9, especially gainst the FW190D9 that should determine such an outcome.

I am guessing that the AI's ability to pull rediculous G and hold un-naturally high AoA is responsible.

As for multiplayer options... to be honest .. they are few. I've even seen some comments on r/hoggit referring to "the ww2 server", by which I think people are referring to Burning Skies.

There are a limited number of options:

1. Burning Skies - dogfight server on the Caucasus map. No WW2 assets. Non-historical low-level furball syle server - server is based in Europe.

2. Storm of War server (www.stormofwar.org) - historical missions on the Normandy map with Ww2 assets. Currently only up on Sunday nights, once per week - server is based in Europe.

3. RAF662 server - low-realism settings (icons on) and exterbnal views too I think. Has AI aircraft. Based in the USA or Austraia, am not sure.

OK, That seems farily convincing. There's nothing about the historical Spitfire 9, especially gainst the FW190D9 that should determine such an outcome.

I am guessing that the AI's ability to pull rediculous G and hold un-naturally high AoA is responsible.

As for multiplayer options... to be honest .. they are few. I've even seen some comments on r/hoggit referring to "the ww2 server", by which I think people are referring to Burning Skies.

There are a limited number of options:

1. Burning Skies - dogfight server on the Caucasus map. No WW2 assets. Non-historical low-level furball syle server - server is based in Europe.

2. Storm of War server (www.stormofwar.org) - historical missions on the Normandy map with Ww2 assets. Currently only up on Sunday nights, once per week - server is based in Europe.

3. RAF662 server - low-realism settings (icons on) and exterbnal views too I think. Has AI aircraft. Based in the USA or Austraia, am not sure.

i fly only on Burning Skies preaty good mission with dogfight and ground targets, map is caucasian becouse very small ammount of ppl actualy had bought normandy map + asset pack price on those are rediculous for casual player so caucasian map is as good as any other, anyway in caucasian map region north part during ww2 took great air battle so not so unaccurate after all

i have normandy map and asset pack but to find any server filled with players is almot impossible i dont like AI flaying on map while fighting another player

Edited by grafspee

The AI uses SFM, thats means by no way you can not beat them on Expert..have still the same Limitations as the normal plane except he flys perfectly clean without making mistakes..simpley need a strategy thats suits your plane..

For the Fw190 currently MP and SP you can use your top Speed to runway as fast as Possilbe...

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

dont forget this one!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=191068

if u want to play as a team that is

Went on there for a bit. Server looks pretty daunting, honestly, and for some reason my frames were hit really hard.

Steel Balls is a good server for people in the US...but people never go there. Why?

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Why daunting, is it too complicated? Server is somewhere over the pond so yeah frames can be bad i guess
There were capturing points, which iirc required you to land on or next to them, but didn't see anything about where the points were. There was something (can't remember what) that said to look at F10 for info. There was nothing on the map. I didn't see anything given for what the heck those B-17s were for or doing. It looked pretty messy, on first impression. I'll take a look again, later today.

Honestly, more North American users should go on Steel Balls. That server doesn't have a ridiculous ping like BS. If anything, SB should host their own events to get attention to themselves. They're sitting on a gold mine with their server, but just kicking dirt around.

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

yeah the us and a has alot of peops shouldnt be that big of a problem to fill one server^^

if u wanna know what blueflag normandy is all about press comms - F10 - F3 FAQ/Help and you get all the info u need.

there are some squadron battles from time to time so check out the discord, other than that its a bit empty which is a shame too.

Well looking at the server lists I'm lucky to find an open server (yet alone a WW2 server) below 300 ping so I guess multiplayer isn't much of an option (I'm a single player kinda guy anyway). Easiest solution for beating the Spitfire is replacing it with the Mustang in my mission :D. Maybe down the track it won't defy physics as much like how after years of struggling against the gravity defying Mustang it became much easier and more reasonable to fight after one update.

• 2 weeks later...
That's interesting because Fw190D is the fastest aircraft by far we have at low level. I wouldn't say 610Km/H at sea level isn't faster than others :huh: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

That's interesting because Fw190D is the fastest aircraft by far we have at low level. I wouldn't say 610Km/H at sea level isn't faster than others :huh: .

S!

yeap fw190 w/o mw50 is quite fast at SL and with mw50 on even faster you can buzz off form spit preaty quickly just dont try slow speed climb with spit. spit has outstanding slow speed climb prefomance

He is asking how to Dogfight Spitfire? and your Answere is dora have 610km/h top Speed? Did miss something?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

He is asking how to Dogfight Spitfire? and your Answere is dora have 610km/h top Speed? Did miss something?

Apparently so....

He was pointing out one of the Dora's strengths, the Dora is not a Dogfighter so she shouldn't be used so, however she makes a great energy fighter.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

topic skid off long time ago :P

Yeah looks like I have been going the wrong way with the Dora. I've been focused on just out turning like I would the with the other warbirds but when I took the approach of maintaining energy I downed my first Spitfire with a head on pass. Think I just need to be more disciplined with how I fly her. And as they say... practise, practise, practise.

• 2 weeks later...

You can beat the spitfire in the german planes against the AI. I had a terrible time with it at first too. Altitude and B an Z tactics just as in real life and it's not thatdifficult. I prefer proper dogfighting in the spitfire though!

Learning the German planes actually made me better in the spitfire to be honest, cause whereas with the spitfire standard dogfight, it's about getting on the bandits tail and lining it up, german planes you have no choice but to learn deflection shooting, which works just as well for the spitfire too obviously.

Apparently with the new damage model the AI is also getting improvements too so fingers crossed, cause I am sure in RL it cannot have been as difficult as it is, for the 109 and 190 (especially) to hold their own against spitfires when at similar altitudes. The main problem is that its almost impossible to escape once they are on your tail.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

• 2 weeks later...

Spits don't loose energy somehow. Try this with a friend: take a 109 and fly head on with a spit. Let the Spit turn in on you while the 109 just starts to climb straight without turning. The Spitfire is like glued to your six after the turn. Clearly seen in the replay or in 3rd person view.