Shared my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Template file

Since the early access release I have been wanting to have a flexible controls diagram/template and was finding that the PDF versions that many have created were hard for me to edit. Thinking there would be a bit of tweaks needed as this plane evolves and gets updated I decided that I would make my own MS Word based template that I could easily edit.

Wanting to share that with the awesome community here, I just posted the .docx template file and a PDF version of my current setup to the User Files section hosted by DCS. Feel free to grab and enjoy them as is, but I am very open to suggestions to enhance this and add some finishing touches.

*Direct link to the DCS User Files section: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300680/

814627457_FA-18CTMWHHOTASTemplate1.0.thumb.png.5597a48a23eced1f3f648ae0958535c3.png

1215459887_Screen02.thumb.png.155d88d42cebbf02e0a65622b73cc0e8.png

Edited by SinandGrin

Thanks +1

Homecockpit F/A 18C MK4 von Dogfight Boss | i7-8700k | Asus Rog Strix Z370-F | ASUS GEFORCE® GTX 1080 ROG STRIX | 16 GB RAM 2666 | 500 GB Samsung EU 860 EVO SSD | Corsair Hydro H100i V2 | TM Warthog |3 * TM MFD‘s | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Wow! Pretty damn close to what I've mapped. At a glance, (filling in blanks) I have engine operate switches as crank left and right and engine flow to move throttles to idlle left and right. They also shut off the engines as well. APU start I use for APU start lol. Everything else is very close to what I have other than your master mode switch. I have mine set to the boat switch because if you select the mode twice it turns it off and back to nav.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Wow! Pretty damn close to what I've mapped. At a glance, (filling in blanks) I have engine operate switches as crank left and right and engine flow to move throttles to idlle left and right. They also shut off the engines as well. APU start I use for APU start lol. Everything else is very close to what I have other than your master mode switch. I have mine set to the boat switch because if you select the mode twice it turns it off and back to nav.

Same here - but Sin’s ideas are very good and am adopting/changing some of my settings.

Thanks for sharing!

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

Some good ideas here and I thought about doing a few of them too, like the ENG start and APU start, but I hate that switches on the physical HOTAS can get out of sync with the sim. For example, lets say I used the APU start switch to start the APU. In the sim, about 1 minute after the second generator comes online the APU is automatically shutdown and the switch in the aircraft moves back to the OFF position (switch's magnetic hold is released). In this scenario, my physical HOTAS would now be out of sync and I'd have to remember to select the OFF position. I guess that's not a big deal but the OCD in me hates this. I do like the spring loaded ENG OPER (IGN) positions for the ENG Crank L/R, so I may adopt that.

For the ENG Idle/OFF action, I just mapped this to buttons 30 (left engine) and 29 (right engine) so that I just move the physical throttle out of the idle detent to start introducing fuel to the engine. I forgot to add this to the template, so I will make that change now and include it in the next version that I release.

I do have a question about your last comment about the Master Mode Switch. Are you talking about the RECCE/Event/Mark that I mapped to the Master Mode Control button on the stick or are you saying that you mapped the Master Mode (A/A, A/G) switches to the Boat Switch?

I actually like the latter idea and would love to set this up so that moving the Boat Switch FWD engages the A/A Master Mode, returning the Boat Switch to the neutral position sets the Master Mode back to NAV and moving the Boat Switch to AFT would engage the A/G Master Mode. I looked in the DCS controls configuration and unfortunately we don't have mapping options that would allow us to do this with the sim alone and a custom TARGET profile may be needed here. The alternative is to re-select the active A/A or A/G position to return the jet to the NAV Master Mode. Doable but again the OCD in my isn't a huge fan of this workaround.

Since I am already playing with a custom TARGET Profile to get the TDC Slew to work with the Slew Control (I used Epoch's guide here) I will look into what it will take to get this Master Mode mapped to the Boat Switch as I mentioned. If this turns out well I can post my results and profiles if folks are interested.

Thanks for sharing! On the TMS you've mapped TDC to HUD, etc. I can't find the corresponding line in the control setup for any of these??

Also how do you use a modifier to switch to select Boresight, AACQ, WACQ, VACQ?

Thanks!

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Thanks for sharing! On the TMS you've mapped TDC to HUD, etc. I can't find the corresponding line in the control setup for any of these??

Also how do you use a modifier to switch to select Boresight, AACQ, WACQ, VACQ?

Thanks!

Hey CrackerJack - The TMS switch on the stick I have mapped to the Sensor Control Switch (FWD, RIGHT, AFT, LEFT). This switch performs different functions in the jet depending on the Master Mode that you are in (NAV, A/G, A/A), roughly speaking. I think the "A/A" mode I appended in my template example should really be "ACM" for Air Combat Maneuvering but A/A made sense to me. So I do not need a modifier switch, it's already part of the aircraft's logic.

Hi Sir,

Thank you for your profile. I am trying to bind all the controls and im stuck at all the functions on the TMS sections. Im unable to find the four settings...TDC to HUD nav and so on. Would appreciate abit of guidence please on where i can fund them.

Thank you

If you want Peace, be prepared to fight for it ! :pilotfly:

Hi Sir,

Thank you for your profile. I am trying to bind all the controls and im stuck at all the functions on the TMS sections. Im unable to find the four settings...TDC to HUD nav and so on. Would appreciate abit of guidence please on where i can fund them.

Thank you

Happy to help here, in fact just take a peek 1 post up where I explained this for CrackerJack. Let me know if you still have any questions though.

Thanks for sharing this Template SinandGrin, very useful!

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Where is the file???

Since the early access release I have been wanting to have a flexible controls diagram/template and was finding that the PDF versions that many have created were hard for me to edit. Thinking there would be a bit of tweaks needed as this plane evolves and gets updated I decided that I would make my own MS Word based template that I could easily edit.

Wanting to share that with the awesome community here, I just posted the .docx template file and a PDF version of my current setup to the User Files section hosted by DCS. Feel free to grab and enjoy them as is, but I am very open to suggestions to enhance this and add some finishing touches.

*While the files are waiting for approval by a moderator, I will post them temporarily here. Once approved I'll update this post and provide the link to the User Files instead*

SinandGrin,

I was interested in the thumbnail print thinking it could be customized to my rendition of the DCS A10C profile but clicking on the "here" pointer it went nowhere. Is it still posted somewhere I can access?

SinandGrin,

I was interested in the thumbnail print thinking it could be customized to my rendition of the DCS A10C profile but clicking on the "here" pointer it went nowhere. Is it still posted somewhere I can access?

Hey Sawbuck, the user files have been up for bit now so that temp location was turned off. Sorry I didn't update my original post sooner but I shared the direct link to the files now.

Let me know if you have any issues accessing them.

• 2 months later...

Warthog boat switch

would love to set this up so that moving the Boat Switch FWD engages the A/A Master Mode, returning the Boat Switch to the neutral position sets the Master Mode back to NAV and moving the Boat Switch to AFT would engage the A/G Master Mode. I looked in the DCS controls configuration and unfortunately we don't have mapping options that would allow us to do this with the sim alone and a custom TARGET profile may be needed here. The alternative is to re-select the active A/A or A/G position to return the jet to the NAV Master Mode. Doable but again the OCD in my isn't a huge fan of this workaround.

... I will look into what it will take to get this Master Mode mapped to the Boat Switch as I mentioned. If this turns out well I can post my results and profiles if folks are interested.

Hey, SinandGrin.

Did you ever figure this out? I would love to get the Warthog throttle boat switch to control A/A, NAV, and A/G modes in the way you described.

Cheers!

Nate

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Hey, SinandGrin.

Did you ever figure this out? I would love to get the Warthog throttle boat switch to control A/A, NAV, and A/G modes in the way you described.

Cheers!

Nate

Yes, sort of. DCS still does not allow for this control natively, although I hear this might be possible by editing some LUA scripts but I worry about having to backup and restore these after DCS updates so for the moment I solved it using a TARGET profile. See the attached screenshot where I used the boat switch with a Press and Release setup to make this work. It's not 100% fool proof but it works most of the time.

728388640_TargetProfile.thumb.png.2503c991bf047c39f4f1360cdaa9a88f.png

Yes, sort of. DCS still does not allow for this control natively, although I hear this might be possible by editing some LUA scripts but I worry about having to backup and restore these after DCS updates so for the moment I solved it using a TARGET profile. See the attached screenshot where I used the boat switch with a Press and Release setup to make this work. It's not 100% fool proof but it works most of the time.

[ATTACH]198685[/ATTACH]

Cool. Thanks for sharing! Would you mind elaborating on how it doesn't work some of the time?

Thanks!

Cool. Thanks for sharing! Would you mind elaborating on how it doesn't work some of the time?

Thanks!

Oh just that if you hit the weapon select button to engage an ACM mode, it automatically puts you into A/A mode even though the boat switch hasn't moved. So then if you move the boat switch from center to FWD position it will actually move you from A/A mode back to NAV mode. You can just click the cockpit A/A master mode button though and things are then back in sync.

Oh just that if you hit the weapon select button to engage an ACM mode, it automatically puts you into A/A mode even though the boat switch hasn't moved. So then if you move the boat switch from center to FWD position it will actually move you from A/A mode back to NAV mode. You can just click the cockpit A/A master mode button though and things are then back in sync.

Got it. That makes sense.

Hey, SinandGrin.

I've done a lot of .lua editing, but unfortunately what you would like to do won't work.The problem is, that in the "default.lua" file there is no command for "Master Mode Nav". The logic is programmed so that if master mode is NOT = "A/A" AND NOT = "A/G" then it's = "NAV". And it's programmed so that A/A and A/G are selected and deselected with the same pushbuttons. And that you can switch directly between A/G and A/A by hitting the opposite button.

Therefore the only practical way to control the master mode is via two pushbuttons, or a 3-position switch (ON1-OFF-ON2) with spring return to OFF.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I've done a lot of .lua editing, but unfortunately what you would like to do won't work.The problem is, that in the "default.lua" file there is no command for "Master Mode Nav". The logic is programmed so that if master mode is NOT = "A/A" AND NOT = "A/G" then it's = "NAV". And it's programmed so that A/A and A/G are selected and deselected with the same pushbuttons. And that you can switch directly between A/G and A/A by hitting the opposite button.

Therefore the only practical way to control the master mode is via two pushbuttons, or a 3-position switch (ON1-OFF-ON2) with spring return to OFF.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll be honest: it's pretty disappointing that my old X-55 HOTAS has more functionality and user-friendliness than the $400 Warthog. :-(

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll be honest: it's pretty disappointing that my old X-55 HOTAS has more functionality and user-friendliness than the $400 Warthog. :-(

The China Hat would do exactly what you want. If that's already used, you can make the boat switch do what you want with TARGET (advanced mode).

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5