ASQ-173 for Hornet

Ironwulf

Pretty handy as a Laser spotter whilst we await the TGP... Mounts on a fuselage missile station so don't take up a A/G stores location.

Partially modelled already on the AI F/A-18C it would seem.

Could go the AN/AAS-38 (which it complimented) too, if you wanted to do a set up for earlier period Hornets... but I think that would be a distraction from the other TGP.

My argument is the ASQ-173 would allow better location/designation of the drop point for LGBs, in the meantime.

Edited by Ironwulf

I wish they would go with the AN/AAS-38 and ASQ-173 as well. I think they were more appropriate for the 2005 time period. And I used to work on them both so, I'm a little biased. I never saw the ATFLIR in use but I understand the resolution is a lot better, so there is that I guess.

I wish they would go with the AN/AAS-38 and ASQ-173 as well. I think they were more appropriate for the 2005 time period. And I used to work on them both so, I'm a little biased. I never saw the ATFLIR in use but I understand the resolution is a lot better, so there is that I guess.

yeah I know what you're saying, but it would then be yet ANOTHER FLIR for them to do.

I figured the laser spotter would help fill the gap a bit, without the huge workload of doing a whole TGP... worst case once LITENING and ATFLIR are done, maybe they can come back to it if they want to do the more classic hardware.

• 4 weeks later...

Also saves carrying an AGM-65E to spot a laser from a JTAC (when it takes a station that could accommodate 2x500lb GBUs. Given the ASQ-173 is essentially equivalent to the maverick laser seeker head I would've thought perhaps the mechanics of this would be perhaps fairly easy/quick to replicate.

I for one would like to see it. But my interest is simulating slightly older hornets.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).