Issues with GBU-38

xoxen

Oh my. I always thought MSL is pretty much a global definition, but after reading some more on Wikipedia from the above link, it seems MSL is indeed a lot more localized and is defined locally (as in: country-wide) by long term measurements at some fixed reference point.

So if the actual MSL values can be different from country to country, that should indeed cause errors in calculation. Unless, of course, the aircraft in question uses the same (local) MSL value that's also true for the target. Sooo... is this only a problem for intercontinental attacks (B-52, B-1, B-2)?

Man, that really is an interesting topic! :thumbup:

As i'm not a aviationist i studied physics and looked in this topic a while ago. As you are interested i will give a longer answer from my knowledge. There are geodesics on this sphere called earth. A geodesic is the shortest connection between two points on a plane (or in a space). On a euclidean plane this is a simple line. On a sphere the geodesic lines are parts of a circle. An infinite long geodesic on the earth is the Equator (for example). Now there are some well defined geodesics for aviation (and other things) and they are collected in the World Geodetic System 1984. In this system there is a reference geodesic for the MSL. So this defines MSL international and not only country wide. But there are indeed local areas where this definition for MSL is not exact enough. If the flight plan goes through one of these areas it will be noted in the flight plan and the flight crew has to account for it.

• Like 1

Interesting reading. I came looking for answers to my missed tank after repeatedly missing it by that 30 ft. Frustrating for me as I have been away from DCS for several years and am trying to 'relearn' everything all over again. To the point now where I am just trying to complete the first 'easy' quick mission with the stock loadout. Use one GBU 12 for the bridge and the other on the first tank. Spot on. Then the first GBU38 always seems to miss. And even at 30-50 ft the tank never lights up. Seems to me in the good ol days I never had this problem. Guess maybe they have made it more realistic.

Perhaps I should save the 38s for the moving column.

Hi,

I´m flying the Hog since 2013 and believe I´m not a beginner anymore. I´m fine in dropping JDAM´s like the GBU-38. But actually I have issues with it, as I always slightly miss the target, even though the TGP is directly pointing at it. Some friends figured out the same behavior. Even if I´m lasing the target and make it the SPI with laser on I have no success. For soft target this is not of a problem but e. g. a tank only get´s damaged.

Am I missing something new? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Xoxen

A few things can be an issue.

TGP

Point mod will latch on the picture, however when creating a SPI, projects through the imaged target through to the ground. Which if the Target is 10m in size, can place the SPI, depending on angle, off target behind the tally.

Fix

Use Area mode and set SPI slightly above where tire/tracks touch the earth. This will put SPI most certainly underneath the tally.

Other issues as some mentioned is to ensure you have your LASTE windage/temperatures accurate.

Fixing these alone will significantly improve your accuracy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk