Excessive HUD and Instruments glare?

Breakshot

OK, so the current patch brought some cockpit changes to the Flanker. The instrument glass is a nice addition, however it causes a complete whiteout glare at certain sun angles. :doh:

All instruments including MFD and HUD become completely blanked with a mat white texture, thus unreadable, the HUD filter (whats the point of having it?) also causes the HUD to become invisible rather than fixing the glare (what it is intended for) in those conditions.

I believe the effect is completely overdone and unrealistic:

Watch the above vid for reference.

I hope this issue is fixed in next patch as it is a HUGE handicap to a Flanker pilot who would be suddenly completely blinded by the sun at angles. The HUD filter also needs a rework...

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

Whoa, just launched Su-27 after reading this post. The effect in game is terrible and has nothing to do with how tinted glass behaves in reality. Besides, the HUD glass is not tinted IRL, it's barely visible.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The glare has always been in the flanker... done very well, up until now, unlike the Darth Vader mask on F15 with constant lighting easy mode. LOL

The effect is now however is totally botched. Doesnt take a scientist to figure it out. And obviously not shadows related... but thanks for asking.

Sent on mobile Android via Tapatalk

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

This new effect is totally unacceptable to me. Before there was nothing wrong here, now the Flanker is, for me at least, un-flyable in this condition. ED please get this repaired immediately. I would also recommend to not spend time and resources messing around with things that are not broken. "If it's not broken... don't fix it!" Perhaps it's better to spend the manpower for now on 2.5 development, or fixing things that need to be fixed?

Edited by Winston 60

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Wipe off more dust or wipe off less dust, either might help.

Other than that it looks a lot like glass or plastic covered displays under direct sunlight. Can't read a bloody thing until you move a hand to shade it.

Either that or you need glasses or a visor that are polarized. Though in the case of display screens that are polarized things can be just as bad with the filter as it goes either completely dark or turns a sort of rainbow/oil-spill color and the glare is gone but you still can't read anything.

So I guess they should implement a helmet visor setting?

Those aren't just plain white overlays though. It looks like an alpha/transparency layer with a gradient oriented toward the sun as a light source. It's just that the saturation is so high that you have to look really closely to see the gradient.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

I expected that this will be nice effect after I saw it in DCS2.0. And then we have pointed out that it is unusable like this. I do not understand why nothing had improved since the first edition and besides released in DCS1.5. Definitely the non-usable as it is. Should be more transparent and shadow to negate it and i`m not sure that any reflection can be on HUD.

Edited by Falcon_S

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Completely unrealistic. Needs to be fixed and fast please, ED.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitch:

My Specs:

i7 8700K, 32gig Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz, 2080ti, Obutto R3volution, VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro EN, Warthog Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Oculus Rift S

MMSOBGYTAST!

The glare has always been in the flanker... done very well, up until now, unlike the Darth Vader mask on F15 with constant lighting easy mode. LOL

The effect is now however is totally botched. Doesnt take a scientist to figure it out. And obviously not shadows related... but thanks for asking.

You're aware that the Eagle canopy has the same MiG-29 shadow/brightness issues, right? Changing some shadow settings made that somewhat workable, as I remember. I think that's what GG was getting at. This seems like a distant cousin of that issue.

Can't wait to update now...

...Just kidding.

#MakeDCSBrightnessEffectsGreatAgain

Edit: I wonder if changes are being done in preparation for 2.1 or whatever the new major update will be?

Lord of Salt

You're aware that the Eagle canopy has the same MiG-29 shadow/brightness issues, right? Changing some shadow settings made that somewhat workable, as I remember. I think that's what GG was getting at. This seems like a distant cousin of that issue.

Can't wait to update now...

...Just kidding.

#MakeDCSBrightnessEffectsGreatAgain

Edit: I wonder if changes are being done in preparation for 2.1 or whatever the new major update will be?

I fly 15 all the time, its fine. This is a completely different matter on 27, the effect is just broken...

Edited by Breakshot

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

I fly 15 all the time, its fine. This is a completely different matter on 27, the effect is just broken...

You know what, it's only in 2.0 that the Eagle has that issue. I probably should have mentioned that! This Flanker update in 1.5 looks far more unplayable though.

Echoing other comments here, but man that change doesn't make much sense...

Edited by Sweep

Lord of Salt

... The HUD filter also needs a rework...

Amen to that!

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Aye, this is extremely annoying at present. Is it a feature, or has it been reported?

Ta,

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

Its an ED conspiracy to let the F-15C wining all fights.

In the end ED employers are all from Wisconsin, assuming russian nationality only for bothering russian fighters fans.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

What a strange response?

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

If it hasn't been reported, it should be.

The cockpit textures are located in this directory:

Mods\aircraft\Flaming Cliffs\Cockpit\Textures\SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip

The latest update is clearly using a different SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip than previous builds. I saved the previous .zip so I could compare. Perhaps using the old SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip would fix the problem. I haven't tested it but I uploaded the old textures to my dropbox if someone wants to try it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swr1twaf5cp0vx6/SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip?dl=0

Old textures:

ZaVqQhh.png

New textures:

RyEdBhI.png

This issue first appeared in 2.0 and it has been reported (the backup compass is now a beautiful backup artificial horizon ;) ), so it's probably just a temporary version.

The Su-27 cockpit model has been updated, so my guess is that the glare/reflection value is bound to the material properties of the model and not directly related to the texture used.

(I'm not sure it could be fixed with a user-made modification)

If someone could share the previous version of …\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Su-27\Cockpit\Shape\Cockpit_SU-27.EDM.

It might be possible to use it (OvGME/JSGME) but I'm not sure it would be certified for MP use (or even fix that issue).

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

This issue first appeared in 2.0 and it has been reported (the backup compass is now a beautiful backup artificial horizon ;) ), so it's probably just a temporary version.

The Su-27 cockpit model has been updated, so my guess is that the glare/reflection value is bound to the material properties of the model and not directly related to the texture used.

(I'm not sure it could be fixed with a user-made modification)

If someone could share the previous version of …\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Su-27\Cockpit\Shape\Cockpit_SU-27.EDM.

It might be possible to use it (OvGME/JSGME) but I'm not sure it would be certified for MP use (or even fix that issue).

Good catch, I didn't check if the .edm had been updated. If anyone does decide to test it, I'd recommend replacing both the textures and edm at the same time.

This should be the previous version of the Cockpit_SU-27.EDM: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gary7iqkzdkrka9/Cockpit_SU-27.EDM?dl=0

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing the files SinusoidDelta!

After my post I decided to roll back to the previous DCS version to get the files and it's still slowly downloading (less torrent peers I guess).

I'll test the files with the latest DCS 1.5 next and I'll report back.

[update] : I tried using the v1.5.6.4546 files (.EDM + textures) but it didn't help - same issue.

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Using the older cockpit zip files causes missing / corrupt textures.

Perhaps someone with textures knowledge can make a Mod to the new files so we can fix this for good if ED won't do it in due time... I'm sure it is doable

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg