Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

3rd time in 12 months for trying this program. rubbish again.

wasted my time and download limit. will not run with my windows1o

if you have it running on your pc, best wishes and lucky you

Can you send me your error logs right after it crashes?

For windows 8 / 10:

right click on the start menu -> computer management -> expand 'event viewer' -> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

To save your all events: right click on application -> save all events as -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

To save a single event: right click on the event(s) you want to save -> save selected event -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

E-mail the logs to me at s13solutions@gmail.com.

Thanks.

3rd time in 12 months for trying this program. rubbish again.

wasted my time and download limit. will not run with my windows1o

if you have it running on your pc, best wishes and lucky you

Pe, are you running as admin?

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

• 2 weeks later...
Hum, cant get this to work either, i tried the hotfix as well. I have win 7 64bit and all i get is the loading screen and that's it.

It appears that for some users Kneeboard Builder is not getting the correct DCS installation directory from the Registry. Haven't quite pinned down why that is, possibly old registry entries. In any case, I am working on modifying the initialization logic so that KB will ask for the correct directories when first started.

In the mean time, this fix should work for anyone having this issue:

1) From the Kneeboard Builder folder open the ‘KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config’ in a text editor like Notepad++ or VS Code.

2) Between the ' </configSections> ' and ' <startup> ' tags add this code:

<appSettings>
       <add key="DCSpath" value="D:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\" />
       <add key="SavedGamesPath" value="E:\Karl's Libraries\Saved Games" />
   </appSettings>

3) Manually change the DCSpath and SavedGamesPath values to the correct DCS version paths for your system and save the file.

4) Try running Kneeboard Builder. If it loads up, first thing to do is go to Options -> Preferences, set the correct paths there as well, set your other preferred options and click ‘Save’.

You should only have to do this the first time you run Kneeboard Builder.

I recommend having a separate Kneeboard Builder installation for each version of DCS World you are using(1.5, 2.0 Beta, 2.0 Alpha).

It appears that for some users Kneeboard Builder is not getting the correct DCS installation directory from the Registry. Haven't quite pinned down why that is, possibly old registry entries. In any case, I am working on modifying the initialization logic so that KB will ask for the correct directories when first started.

1) From the Kneeboard Builder folder open the ‘KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config’ in a text editor like Notepad++ or VS Code.

<appSettings>
   </appSettings>

3) Manually change the DCSpath and SavedGamesPath values to the correct DCS version paths for your system and save the file.

4) Try running Kneeboard Builder. If it loads up, first thing to do is go to Options -> Preferences, set the correct paths there as well, set your other preferred options and click ‘Save’.

I recommend having a separate Kneeboard Builder installation for each version of DCS World you are using(1.5, 2.0 Beta, 2.0 Alpha).

This is already there for me, but still in options -> preferences I am still seeing my old path D:/...... and not my new F:/...... no matter I have changed it and clicked save . I did change the DCS path in the registry as well. Saved games is fine and I can do custom kneeboards but I can't modify the position and size of the kneeboard.

Also the new version 7.0 crashes on startup for me while 1.6.9.8 works fine. Win 10 x64.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

<appSettings>
   </appSettings>

That did the trick...thanks you!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to try and use one Profile for All my aircraft today and so I right-clicked on the KBB icon in the SysTray and selected Profile-->All-->My Profile and received this error message:

Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: path

I checked and edited that profile and tested it several times in my Stock game and the Alpha with the same results.

Both copies of KBB throw that error and then crash ever time. Attached is my Event Log for this error. Thanks. ;-)

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

I wanted to try and use one Profile for All my aircraft today and so I right-clicked on the KBB icon in the SysTray and selected Profile-->All-->My Profile and received this error message:

Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: path

I checked and edited that profile and tested it several times in my Stock game and the Alpha with the same results.

Both copies of KBB throw that error and then crash ever time. Attached is my Event Log for this error. Thanks. ;-)

Thanks. Several users are reporting experiencing that problem.

I'm getting the "...has stopped working with Windows." error upon trying to start the program. Freshly downloaded 1.7.0.0. What can I send you to help assess what the problem may be?

Could you please look at your windows error logs right after you try running Kneeboard Builder and e-mail them to me.

To view the error logs in windows 7:

click on the start menu -> control panel -> system and security -> administrative tools -> event viewer-> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application.

For windows 8 / 10:

right click on the start menu -> computer management -> expand 'event viewer' -> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

To save your all events: right click on application -> save all events as -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

To save a single event: right click on the event(s) you want to save -> save selected event -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

E-mail the logs to me at s13solutions@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Version 1.7.0.1 Released

Version 1.7.0.1 is now available.

-Fixed crash on load when Kneeboard Builder has wrong DCS World installation path

-Fixed error and crash when trying to set "All" aircraft profiles

Lets give this another shot. Hopefully this will fix the crash on load many of you are experiencing. If it still doesn't work for you let me know.

Fixed the crash when select Profile/All. Great! Thanks!!!

Link to 1.7.0.1? Great app BTW!

Version 1.7.0.1 is now available.

-Fixed crash on load when Kneeboard Builder has wrong DCS World installation path

-Fixed error and crash when trying to set "All" aircraft profiles

Lets give this another shot. Hopefully this will fix the crash on load many of you are experiencing. If it still doesn't work for you let me know.

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I already have the message about incorrect path

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Flaming Cliffs\Cockpit\KneeboardLeft\device_init_original.lua

I haven't FC3 but i have F15C and other stand alone FC3 airplanes

as i sow it was solved...

I already have the message about incorrect path

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\Flaming Cliffs\Cockpit\KneeboardLeft\device_init_original.lua

I haven't FC3 but i have F15C and other stand alone FC3 airplanes

as i sow it was solved...

Sorry about the problem you are having. I must have the folder structure setup wrong for the FC3 standalone planes. I don't own any of the standalone aircraft, so could you locate the correct directory for the 'device_init.lua' file in your F-15C installation path? ( I am assuming it will be somewhere like ...Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Mods/aircraft/F15C/Cockpit/KneeboardLeft). Let me know the correct path and I'll put together a fix for it.

Thanks for your help.

don't worry, here are some stand-alone product path

Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\F-15C\Cockpit\KneeboardRight

Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\Su-33\Cockpit\KneeboardLeft

Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\Su-27\Cockpit\KneeboardLeft

Big Problem with Kneeboardbuilder Mig-21 and AJS37 Viggen!

Hello AlaskanGrizzli

I'm having trouble ecting at the Mig-21 and the AJS 37 viggen when starting a mission. do not get any png (image and text) created by me in your Kneeboardbuilder? The Kneeboardbuilder shows only a few pages from the original charts of the Mig-21 and the Viggen ...:helpsmilie:

Ask for help, what am I doing wrong? My english is not good enough.

Thank you

There are some concepts of this app I simply do not understand.

I click "Create Custom Kneeboard", seletect P-51D in the "Select Aircraft" pull-down, add a couple of "Groups", select the "Groups" I want and copy them over to "Groups Selected for Custom Kneeboard", and click "Build Custom Kneeboard for P-51D". I get a pop-up above the system tray stating:

P-51D

Custom kneeboard built

Kneeboard Builder

Now I cannot click the ".miz" button to select a mission to inject my custom kneeboard into it, and where is the custom kneeboard that I created?

So, I quite Kneeboard Builder, start it again, select P-51D again, and there are the "Groups" I previously created and copied to "Groups Selected for Custom Kneeboard". I can now I can click the ".miz" button, select a mission and inject the selected "Groups" into that mission.

So what is the point of the "Build Customer Kneeboard for P-51D" button?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

If I understand your issue correctly, the kneeboard is "installed" into an aircraft, NOT a mission. Your aircraft will have that kneeboard on board everywhere you go.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Thanks for your answer Chic. I was not aware that that is a thing :doh:

Apparently it can have some issues though. After having installed a custom kneeboard into the P-51D, inadvertently, I ran the first mission in the Charnwood Campaign, where I had no kneeboard at all :huh:

So, to uninstall the custom kneeboard, I assume I simply delete the graphic files in '..\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Kneeboard\P-51D\'? or do I need to be doing something else as well, or something else altogether?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

To delete a kneeboard;

Click "Create Custom Kneeboard"

> "Select Aircraft" > delete the "Available Groups" items one at a time.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Hi Chic, Yes! That was it issue. Many thanks :thumbup:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Sorry about the problem you are having. I must have the folder structure setup wrong for the FC3 standalone planes. I don't own any of the standalone aircraft, so could you locate the correct directory for the 'device_init.lua' file in your F-15C installation path? ( I am assuming it will be somewhere like ...Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Mods/aircraft/F15C/Cockpit/KneeboardLeft). Let me know the correct path and I'll put together a fix for it.

Thanks for your help.

Worked around creating the FC3 directory and lua files (taked it from F15C kneeboard directory)