Excessive HUD and Instruments glare? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Breakshot

Reputation power: 34
Breakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to all
Default Excessive HUD and Instruments glare?

OK, so the current patch brought some cockpit changes to the Flanker. The instrument glass is a nice addition, however it causes a complete whiteout glare at certain sun angles.

All instruments including MFD and HUD become completely blanked with a mat white texture, thus unreadable, the HUD filter (whats the point of having it?) also causes the HUD to become invisible rather than fixing the glare (what it is intended for) in those conditions.

I believe the effect is completely overdone and unrealistic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-f1BZ3zSc

Watch the above vid for reference.

I hope this issue is fixed in next patch as it is a HUGE handicap to a Flanker pilot who would be suddenly completely blinded by the sun at angles. The HUD filter also needs a rework...

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov, #24 of the 51st 'Bisons' PVO Regiment
Breakshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
some1

Reputation power: 21
some1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nice

Whoa, just launched Su-27 after reading this post. The effect in game is terrible and has nothing to do with how tinted glass behaves in reality. Besides, the HUD glass is not tinted IRL, it's barely visible.

Owned modules: A-10C; Ka-50; P-51; FW-190D; UH-1; FC; FC2; FC3; L-39C/ZA; MiG-15bis; F-86F Sabre; Bf 109 K-4; F-5E; Mi-8MTV2; M-2000C
Owned betas: SA-342; NTTR; MiG-21bis; C-101 Aviojet; Hawk T.1A; Spitfire IX; AJS 37; AV-8B
Hardware: Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Rift CV1
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
GGTharos
Veteran

Reputation power: 307
GGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant future

The glare comes to the flanker, huh . Try adjusting the cockpit shadows to see if it helps at all.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
Breakshot

Reputation power: 34
Breakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to allBreakshot is a name known to all

The glare has always been in the flanker... done very well, up until now, unlike the Darth Vader mask on F15 with constant lighting easy mode. LOL

The effect is now however is totally botched. Doesnt take a scientist to figure it out. And obviously not shadows related... but thanks for asking.

Sent on mobile Android via Tapatalk

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov, #24 of the 51st 'Bisons' PVO Regiment
Breakshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
Scarrface

Reputation power: 0
Scarrface is on a distinguished road

Pic related, how i feel flying the flanker now

Scarrface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
Frostie
Veteran

Reputation power: 102
Frostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud of

Unbelievable, we have white discs over the dials now just like PS2 graphics. What was so wrong with the original glare?
I'm so glad ED are working on such critical stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	haha.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	162158   Click image for larger version

Name:	ha.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	162159  
"FROSTIE" #55
Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10
www.51st.org
Frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
esb77

Reputation power: 7
esb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the rough

Wipe off more dust or wipe off less dust, either might help.

Other than that it looks a lot like glass or plastic covered displays under direct sunlight. Can't read a bloody thing until you move a hand to shade it.

Either that or you need glasses or a visor that are polarized. Though in the case of display screens that are polarized things can be just as bad with the filter as it goes either completely dark or turns a sort of rainbow/oil-spill color and the glare is gone but you still can't read anything.

So I guess they should implement a helmet visor setting?

Those aren't just plain white overlays though. It looks like an alpha/transparency layer with a gradient oriented toward the sun as a light source. It's just that the saturation is so high that you have to look really closely to see the gradient.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.
esb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
Winston 60

Reputation power: 8
Winston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really niceWinston 60 is just really nice

This new effect is totally unacceptable to me. Before there was nothing wrong here, now the Flanker is, for me at least, un-flyable in this condition. ED please get this repaired immediately. I would also recommend to not spend time and resources messing around with things that are not broken. "If it's not broken... don't fix it!" Perhaps it's better to spend the manpower for now on 2.5 development, or fixing things that need to be fixed?

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit
VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti
FTW
MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080
MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit
GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Last edited by Winston 60; 05-14-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Winston 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
100KIAP_Falcon

Reputation power: 55
100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold100KIAP_Falcon is a splendid one to behold

I expected that this will be nice effect after I saw it in DCS2.0. And then we have pointed out that it is unusable like this. I do not understand why nothing had improved since the first edition and besides released in DCS1.5. Definitely the non-usable as it is. Should be more transparent and shadow to negate it and i`m not sure that any reflection can be on HUD.

100-й Корабельный Истребительный Авиационный Полк

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

Last edited by 100KIAP_Falcon; 05-14-2017 at 07:52 PM.
100KIAP_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #10
Low Blow

Reputation power: 4
Low Blow will become famous soon enoughLow Blow will become famous soon enoughLow Blow will become famous soon enough

Completely unrealistic. Needs to be fixed and fast please, ED.

My Specs:
Spoiler:
Core i5 2500K @ 4.4 Ghz, MSI GTX 980, Custom pit by JEDI, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFDs, Saitek Combat Pedals, Gear Handle by GoFlight, Track IR 5

MMSOBGYTAST!
Low Blow is offline   Reply With Quote