Noworossiysk Airfield

BitMaster

I tried to locate that Airfield on Google Earth and couldnt find it.

Is it me & my eyes or has this airfield been given up and the land used for skyscrapers and civil use ?

just curious, nothing urgent or such.

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.144c20657425e7a7aefc8edf6d2e8337.JPG

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Yeap, that's it. In some older satellite photos, you are still able to find the former runway.

Caucasus map is "exotic". Looks like its based in 1992 aprox. . When still former soviet airbases exist but with all former soviet names dropped (Mikha Tskhakaya, Novo Aleeksevka...). A lot of things happened there so it's normal find closed airbases or worst, like in the Novorosyisk case

I hope that in the new Caucasus they change Novorossyisk for Marneuli at least. Marneuli was a PVO airbase until the collapse of the USSR and later used by the new Georgian Airforce. There are no excuses for exclude it in this map (Marneuli is 15 nm South of novo Alekseevka, renamed Lochini).

• 4 weeks later...
I tried to locate that Airfield on Google Earth and couldnt find it.

Is it me & my eyes or has this airfield been given up and the land used for skyscrapers and civil use ?

just curious, nothing urgent or such.

Several airbases on the map are now either international airports, a combination of military/international airport, or their land has simply been re-purposed. Be interesting to see what the new Caucasus map brings. The area covered by the map includes may diverse cultures and histories. Hopefully some of that flavor will be reflected in the new 2.5 map.

A portion of the Novorossiysk base's runway is still visible in your image, BTW. I've outlined it on yellow, though you've probably spotted it yourself.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 1 year later...

Zooming in a bit further, looks like what used to be Myshako airfield has been re-purposed in to a residential area. Looks like one of the old hangers is now a gym & football pitches with some of what used to be the NE end of the runway being taken up by a road and the other side of the runway being parking for high-rise blocks of flats (apartments for our US friends).

Myshako.jpg.ae6d095e2c703cb0b1c053b287706060.jpg

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.