Looking for a 2nd A2A aircraft.

VHOEI

Hi There, I have the F/A-18C and love it and I want to add another western (primarily A2A) aircraft to my collection. Would anyone here recommend the F-5E as an aircraft to compliment the F/A-18? I like that it is a maneuverable (from what I've seen) but I'm worried that it'll feel a bit limited in what I can do with it as: (please correct me if I'm wrong) - There are no radar-guided missile options. - Capacity for only two sidewinders. (and droptanks + a light load of bombs) - Limited Ground Attack Capability (requires buddy-lasing or dumb bombs only). Due to this, I'm worried that the F-5 will become less attractive compared to other aircraft over time as I'll be required to either create simplistic/short missions myself (as due to my geographical location and poor internet connection, online play isn't feasible and there is a limited payload capability) that lack as much complexity as I could make in a Hornet mission. Would I be correct in coming to this conclusion? Any input is welcome.

you got plenty to do but its less about the airplane and more about you

the f-5 has no computerized assistance so it will all be about you sharpening up your manual skills in flying and bombing

if you dont care for that then the f-5 isnt for you

maneuverable? it's more responsive, but it's less "maneuverable" than the fa-18 in a dogfight.

if you just want to see things blow up and feel like a superhero just stand pat with the fa-18

Edited by probad

I'd say just stick with the Hornet and save your money, If you really want something else to fly I'd say go with the F-14 or Mirage 2000. The F-14 would be the most similar to the F-18 in terms of capabilities. the Mirage is like a modern version of the F-5, it a great A2A platform but has limited A2G also needing a buddy laze for precision bombs. You start off saying you want A2A but it seems more like you want all the F-18's capabilities in a different airframe, i.e. F-14.

Just went from the 18 to the 5, it's a great plane to train your BFM and ACM tactics, you can still win vs any kind of f14 or modern jet that's not really knowing what he's doing, or just bad at dogfighting, it's really not easy to fly correctly and even less to fight on it (i've seen really few good pilots on it), but if you're looking for something to commit yourself and you like dogfighting f5 is what you looking for, go for it

Hi There, I have the F/A-18C and love it and I want to add another western (primarily A2A) aircraft to my collection. Would anyone here recommend the F-5E as an aircraft to compliment the F/A-18? I like that it is a maneuverable (from what I've seen) but I'm worried that it'll feel a bit limited in what I can do with it as: (please correct me if I'm wrong) - There are no radar-guided missile options. - Capacity for only two sidewinders. (and droptanks + a light load of bombs) - Limited Ground Attack Capability (requires buddy-lasing or dumb bombs only). Due to this, I'm worried that the F-5 will become less attractive compared to other aircraft over time as I'll be required to either create simplistic/short missions myself (as due to my geographical location and poor internet connection, online play isn't feasible and there is a limited payload capability) that lack as much complexity as I could make in a Hornet mission. Would I be correct in coming to this conclusion? Any input is welcome.

The 80´s F-5E is a simple but difficult plane. You have to do everything by hand. You want to know where are you flying? You have to use the TACAN or the compass, your eyes and a map. You want to fly at night or all weather? You can't. There is not even ILS. You want an autopilot? Nope. You want to know where your bombs are going to hit? You have to use tables of depression of the reticle, angles of dive, altitudes and speeds. And, if your angle, altitud or speed is not the correct one in a 10%, your bombs are going to hit half a mile away from the target. Your radar is crap, totally blind when is looking down, and you only have two not full aspect sidewinders. Against the F/A-18 or the Tomcat, the 80´s f-5E is a sitting duck 20 miles before the merge.

The verision of the F-5E simulated in DCS is actually an advanced trainer and "sparring" for the USAF, not a real fighter. It wasn´t meant to survive against real enemies in a real war. Of course, you can have fun against Mig-19 and 21, and against modern fighters if you don´t allow them to have missiles. That´s all.

Or since rumor has it, that a Easter Sale is coming, you might be able to get a 2 for 1 deal (since they might 50% off), and grab a F-5E and a Mirage 2000 for example.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I'm a big fan of the Mirage. Nothing against the F-5, but it seems like a very limited aircraft. The M-2kC has a pretty decent radar, some cool autopilot modes, a solid and easy to use INS, can mid-air refuel, and is pretty zippy and fun to fly. I would definitely recommend the Mirage over the Tiger (although, full-disclosure, I've never flown the F-5 so....)

All 3 are great planes, Mirage, F-5E and the F-14B. If you don't mind the deep dive, I'd recommend the F-14 the most as it has more capability and a flight model that will require you to learn a lot. The F-5E is more pure in terms of making you rely on learning to fly a jet well. It can be a good WVR dogfighter, but only if you fly it right. It's otherwise very simple and satisfying.

The Mirage is a real treat to fly and has FBW, so it's fairly easy to run around in. It doesn't require the same level of piloting as the older 2, and has fairly capable A2A functionality. But in terms of flavour, it isn't as much of a departure from the F-18 as the other two. How much challenge and variety are you looking for?

In a modern environment, the F-5 is an underdog. It's advantages are its high traveling speed at MIL power, it's fast small (one) turn circle, and it's low visual signature.

In its own era and scenario, the F-5 is great. Fighting against the Mig-21BIS, Mig-19, and Mig-15 in a simulated proxy war scenario between developing countries is a blast as they are peer opponents.

The F-5E is a little weak air to ground for a 70's aircraft, as it lacks AGMs and any kind of automatic bombing system, but it does carry a large amount of ordnance for its size.

I highly recommend the F-5 for online play, if you play on one of the 70's themed servers like Bushwar or Coldwar. It's by far my favorite PVP gameplay in DCS. The dogfighting, especially at low level, is amazing!

I highly recommend the F-5 for online play, if you play on one of the 70's themed servers like Bushwar or Coldwar. It's by far my favorite PVP gameplay in DCS. The dogfighting, especially at low level, is amazing!

+1 on this

Flying against equivalent fighters it really where this aircraft shines.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat