IFF?

Kongamato

Our F-5 does not have an IFF interrogater IRL. The IFF panel is only the IFF-transponder that is used to reply to IFF interrogations by other aircraft or ground stations and IFF transponders are not functional in any DCS module unfortunately.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ehh, it's a visual range fighter, just visual ID the target and hope the ROE requires the other side to verify hostile as well.

Also why is a solid IFF system not Global at this point? The game engine knows who's what. It's not the real world, you just fake up an IFF "transponder" that can read the already known info. Not everything has to be modeled realistically, it just needs to seem like it is, The ground crew isn't a real AI being simulated but nobody has a problem with that.

Also why is a solid IFF system not Global at this point? The game engine knows who's what. It's not the real world, you just fake up an IFF "transponder" that can read the already known info. Not everything has to be modeled realistically, it just needs to seem like it is, The ground crew isn't a real AI being simulated but nobody has a problem with that.

I have often wondered this myself, but I'm also not privy to the code or the plans (or the limitations under which ED operates).

In theory they could model the IFF controls and displays...ish...and use other in-game information to handle the back end. No need to model classified interrogation systems, just the front-end for the pilot.

If we assume that I am not the smartest human being on the planet then someone else has thought of this. Statistically one of those someone elses probably works for ED or one of their partners. Consequently, one can theorize there is another reason for not having done so, even if it is as simple as a time limitation.

Typically I fly solo, which doesn't mean I haven't fragged a friendly once along the way during a pre-packaged mission. Now days I write my own missions and the lack of IFF is less of a problem.

It is a source of great curiosity, though. There are a few of those hanging out there.

Ehh, it's a visual range fighter, just visual ID the target and hope the ROE requires the other side to verify hostile as well.

Unfortunately a global IFF system that magically pulls IFF information from the game engine is already in place. Every aircraft in DCS is assumed to have an IFF-transponder that is active and configured correctly, even aircraft that don't even have (compatible) IFF transponders like the WW2 prop planes. That means if you interrogate any aircraft in DCS (including the WW2 aircraft) you will get a positive reply if the target is friendly.

I hate that as it is nothing else but pure magic, because aircraft that don't have IFF transponders or haven't turned them on or configured correctly should not respond to IFF interrogations...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Code-wise, it's aligned to the limitations of AI, who need a black and white decision on engaging not engaging and thus anything in a grey area like cold war interception isn't handled well enough to make use of a transponder that replies to an interrogation.

It's probably best left this way until there are some good scripting API's that third party tools could be used for interrogations, along with humans doing some radar work on comms. The alternative is a PvP world which would be frustrating to say the least.

AI already magically have their knowledge on all planes, you can force them to VID roughly with some Mission editing or weapons limitations.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

AI restrictions shouldn't apply to player. Just implement transponder functionality for human players and let the AI keep using their magic knowledge based on coalitions. The AI has their own flight and damage models too.

Tornado3 small.jpg

But this comes down to kind of a fundamental Fidelity vs Usability issue. In the end it's just about pulling a magic trick to LOOK like it's behaving realistically. Or in the case of something still actually Classified, just to perform in a way it makes sense to. This is inherent to every Sim all the way back to Andy Hollis' first games.

But this comes down to kind of a fundamental Fidelity vs Usability issue. In the end it's just about pulling a magic trick to LOOK like it's behaving realistically. Or in the case of something still actually Classified, just to perform in a way it makes sense to. This is inherent to every Sim all the way back to Andy Hollis' first games.

I don't see a usability issue here? Quite the opposite: Not having actual transponder functionality takes a lot away from the gameplay. I thought the purpose of the DCS modules is to have full fidelity/interactivity, unlike the FC3 aircraft.

Tornado3 small.jpg

When you butt heads against classified data you just gotta fudge it. I don't know why they don't just have "realistic" IFF and Easy IFF options for missions etc.. And realistic is simply just pretending it doesn't know until it "interrogates" a plane. And the plane can have a "Wrong" IFF code entered.

You CAN play with the IFF panel in the F-5 to "Feel" like you're doing something if you wan't, but it's IFF out only so it's not what you would call that interactive.