JUST DOGFIGHT server thread

Flighter

JDF-Banner.png

This is the JUST DOGFIGHT server thread.

https://justdogfight.com/ : Server Web pages, live connected players etc

https://twitch.tv/flighterg : Twitch streaming / channel.

YouTube Live Sometimes live streaming on YT

Server addresses (use if the servers do not appear in the server browser) :

Stable         : dcs1.justdogfight.com:15608
Openbeta GR : dcs2.justdogfight.com:15308
OpenBeta DE : dcs3.justdogfight.com:15308

Example (be careful with the port numbers) :

serverAddresses.png

OverviewC1.png

5-APR-2022-:

After a long time here's the news :

- Due to unforeseen circumstances there was 0 time for server maintenance. Only the GR Open-beta was operational after a point in time.

- One of the servers running Stable was on Windows Server 2019. For some reason DCS stopped supporting that operating system (see here). The server was ditched and a new one set with Windows 10 pro.

- The Open-beta server's hard disk space (150 GB) was not enough for the latest server update . The server had to be also updated. This turns out to be an expensive affair.

- The latest mission (v2.7b) has the following changes:

• Added AH64 helli in the 1v1 helli area
  • Added Mi helli in the 1v1 helli area
  • Removed the AI auto-respawn plane- Planes for practice (when the server is empty) can always be spawned manually by the OTHER-> JDF Menus
  • Changed fuel to 80% in GUNS area for F16
  • The in-game voice chat got some love. Use Left-CTRL + Left-SHIFT + TAB (default keys) to use it.

This thread is monitored again.

Have you tried the 2 vs 2 area ? For functionality check this.

PS. Have missed you all..

20-MAY-2020-:

A third area for 1vs1 (area 3) has been created. This area is only for the beta testers.

15-MAY-2020-:

The "Nickname reservation" system is now in beta test. Beta testers may join. Also History of one's used nicknames is available after linking his/her account. See this post.

reserveok.jpg

nicknamesPage.jpg

7-MAY-2020-:

The justdogfight.com site is starting to take shape. Watch this space as we add content and most important functionality (eg connected players).

JDF_page..png

1-MAR-2020-:

A new machine is now used for the stable version of the Server. Please update your Teamspeak Address.

19-FEB-2020-:

Server version 2.5.6.43503 suffers from crashes and restart issues.

25-OCT-2019 -:

Team-killing will cause automatic kicks and temporary auto-ban. Be careful !

19-OCT-2019 -:

The World War 2 aircraft are back. They are of course Guns-only, close to the GUNS area. Slot names begin with WW2.

07-APR-2019 -:

For the past 3 months we have serious issues with the server browser and network connectivity in general. We have already done serious attempts to rectify this issue and we are still working on it. We hope that this will be resolved soon, hopefully with the help from ED.

Please if you get sudden disconnections let us know the date and time either in this thread or with a PM.

Thanks

06-JUL-2018 - :

The main sever is now on 2.5.x stable.

The backup server may run periodically one of the maps on latest Open Beta.

17-JUN-2018 - :

In the 17 months of operation we had (both servers):

• more than 99.9 % uptime
  • 8185 players with multiple connections
  • 15998 unique player names
  • 79584 connections
  • 228 GB of ziped tacview records

Thanks for all your flying hours !

What it is :

A friendly place to go into immediate action.

Why :

• Because (most of the times) we do not have 1 hour for preparation and another hour for getting where the AIM120 will want to be friends with us.
  • Because (most of the times) fur-ball is fun.
  • Because (most of the times) we do not like Long Range BVR missiles.
  • Because (many times) when we play we like as little rules as possible.
  • Because (most of the times) we like air to air.
  • Because (some times) we like taking off from the taxiways !

If you want to get proficient in close air combat, this is the server to join.

Servers

We run three servers:

• Release version / Caucasus classic map.
  • Open beta version / Caucasus classic map - Germany Server.
  • Open beta version / Caucasus classic map - Greek server - small capacity.

Please note that the Small Open Beta server has all data export turned off because of limited bandwidth.

Areas of operations

We have two main areas plus three 1vs1 and one 2vs2:

• IR missiles and Guns.
  • GUNS only.
  • 1vs1, two players max per area.
  • 2vs2, 4 players total, selectable AI aircraft up to a total of 4 (AI  + Human)

Slot naming and meaning

The beginning of the slots and their meaning is listed below :

• 1v1 : "Just the two of us". Only one player per area/team
  • 2v2 : 1 to 4 human players with auto fill AI up to a total of 4 Aircraft. Info here
  • AIR : Planes spawn mid air armed with 4 IR missiles (usually) and guns in the IR fight area.
  • CARR : The plane is spawned in the IR fight area on the red or blue carrier.
  • GND : The plane is spawned in the IR fight area on the ground.
  • GUNS : The plane is spawned mid air armed only with guns in the GUNS fight area.
  • WW2 : The plane is spawned airborne close to guns area. These are World War 2 planes for gunfights.
  • ZZ : Various tests and fun items - experiments.

IR Area notes ("AIR", "GND","CARR")

Bases in IR area have most weapons available (including medium BVR). Please keep in mind that this is a close dogfight server. Use BVR weapons as little as possible.

There is 1 red AI always flying so even 1 player can have some fun and practice.

You may spawn more opponents if less than 2 players are connected. Use the F10 -> other menu. PLEASE DO NOT ABUSE.

You can attack any ground target you like if you can survive the enemy planes. All units are on an auto re-spawn system.

Note: Nukes, AIM120s, R77s AIM54s are available from carriers due to a game bug. Still they will disappear upon launch.

Also, Other BVR A2A weapons have a high failure rate in our server's stock. Use at your own risk...

1vs1 areas ("1v1") Notes

There are 2 areas with 1vs1 slots.

Slots begin with "1v1", followed by the area id/coalition, eg 1B for Blue or 1R for Red; "1" being the area ID (1 or 2 for the two available areas).

Only one of the available planes may be occupied at any time (per coalition and area ID). If the area is occupied a message will inform the attempting player with the message "Already taken by \<playername\>"

1v1 planes have 2 IRs missiles, if you want only guns, don't use them (or just launch them to save weight).

Some tips :

-On main map, most of the fun is along the line between Batumi (blue base) and Senaki (red base).

-Turn your labels on. They are only small dots, and only active when the other plane is about 6 nm away. Ground assets are shown much further away and are good for visual orientation. They can be distracting though and you can switch them off separately. Also, labels help to only shoot enemies and not friendlies (they are red or blue).

-You can also spawn two red AI planes in the GUNS only area.

! IMPORTANT !

- Keep the chat decent. We have very young people connecting, please be cautious of what you type.

- DO NOT BE LAME. Do not eject from a healthy plane because you are about to be shot out of the sky. Be a sport.

- When out of missiles, either stay for the gunfight or make a run for your base. Bases are protected by AAA. Again, Be a sport.

- Keep the teams balanced.

- Be nice and courteous, have fun !

- Keep your canopy on. Do not spoil it for the screen-shooters !

- Do not disconnect/reconnect with no reason, especially to fix your stats. It creates lag !

And remember, it is OK to be shot down.

Keep smiling

DCS v2.5.xx Release : 46.4.95.74:10308

DCS v2.5.xx OpenBeta : 94.70.240.200:15308

TEAMSPEAK:

Server name: "JUSTDOGFIGHT"

IP: 46.4.95.74 Password: "JDF"

P.S. We could have statistics but we are afraid that it will make the site "serious" and people less expressive. This may change...

OverviewC1.thumb.png.3ccbaf5c89e774e7ea69134ee35f2044.png

JDF_page..png.de410aad25bef2eb1aeafaa83d17ccf0.png

JDF-Banner.thumb.png.823339d39b818c71bd85d68304f9381c.png

nicknamesPage.jpg.fc6db74641ddfbf454528f11d818420f.jpg

reserveok.jpg.76d50244441d06df9bf10b28a4348bce.jpg

Edited by Flighter

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

You wouldn't consider perhaps removing the markers on the server and having the liveries become distinct enough per team so that visual ID is possible?

Perhaps include in the briefing what each aircraft looks like for red and blue

Just a suggestion, I did have fun the other day seeing who I could take on in my F-5! :megalol:

/да бойз/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Op.Jack

By removing the markers you mean the labels ?

If all is according to plan, we should "enforce" labels that are just dots. This is below 10 km. We have done it for obvious reasons.

Is this the feature you would rather see removed ?

The dots are mainly for the users in VR mode. They may have amazing immersion but the resolution of their systems is well below that of a normal screen. The color dots help a lot.

Have fun with the gorgeous looking F5 (I do not have it yet) !

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

Hi Op.Jack

By removing the markers you mean the labels ?

If all is according to plan, we should "enforce" labels that are just dots. This is below 10 km. We have done it for obvious reasons.

Is this the feature you would rather see removed ?

The dots are mainly for the users in VR mode. They may have amazing immersion but the resolution of their systems is well below that of a normal screen. The color dots help a lot.

Have fun with the gorgeous looking F5 (I do not have it yet) !

Didn't think about VR users, that's a fair enough reason really

/да бойз/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Frequent server crashes

Our server has seen some amazing dogfights... Congrats to so many dogfighers !

Sometimes I just go observer as the intensity and quality of the dogfights in combination with 4K, "all high" DCS graphics is amazing ! Thanks guys !

We also have frequent server crashes (a common thing btw) :

CThzubNCThzubN.jpg

Cheers !

🙂 Smile 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

3 month statistics

Hi all !

It has been more than 3 months that our players have been exchanging compliments in the form of back-burning cigars and high speed projectiles.

2463 players managed to do an amazing 34813 kills !

Our top 25 scorers are shown in the following two tables. Congrats !!!

Let's keep the aircraft industry busy !

xgw1j55.png

---------------

V8Lq4FC.png

• Like 1

🙂 Smile 🙂

Could you check the F-5E airstarts (the "AIR" ones) at some point? I think they have 3 fuel tanks...Normally I'd just jettison them, but whenever I tried that on your server, I would get a connection timeout...Every single time!

Thanks!

Lord of Salt

Hi Sweep.

Thanks for the info. I have them with 3 tanks so the players have the option (as you say) to jettison.

Unfortunately I do not have this aircraft so I cannot test. Please let me know the desired pre-configuration. I will add a variant with no ext tanks, but let me know if you have a preference.

Tail identification will be "Sweep" :)

Cheers

🙂 Smile 🙂

Yeah I think it was the wing fuel tanks being dropped that caused the disconnect bug. The centerline is jettisonable without bugging. Tbh I think just the two wingtip heaters would be the best configuration, the F-5 is pretty good on gas, after all!

Thanks again!

Lord of Salt

Hi Sweep.

Thanks for the info. I have them with 3 tanks so the players have the option (as you say) to jettison.

Unfortunately I do not have this aircraft so I cannot test. Please let me know the desired pre-configuration. I will add a variant with no ext tanks, but let me know if you have a preference.

Tail identification will be "Sweep" :)

Cheers

1x275 CL tank + 2x AIM-9P5 + 100% HE gun ammo

• 2 months later...

From the guy who got tired of fc3 aircraft and is spending majority of time in mig21 the scenario you guys run here can be really stressful and confusing. Everyone flies everything, can't iff properly like modern planes... Indentifying trough Silhouette would be much easier for an old rusty mig, or taking missiles out. Just suggestion, no offensive of course. If you're not totally into statistics and willing to make a change...

• 1 month later...

I've recently been playing on the Just Dogfight server and I think that the admin should give us the option to start on the ground and not allways in the air. I get the purpose of allways starting on the air. It's so the server is dynamic and there are people constantly dogfighting. But in my opinion, adding that option wouldn't compromise the dynamics a lot and would help the players who want to train scrambling.

FACTA NON VERBA

EX MERO MOTU

Those two I will never forget!

High Flighter,

Thank you very much for the just dogfight server :)

I have a small request which I hope you can grant. I have a Gametrix 908 JetSeat with SimShaker for Aviators software. Please find the link below for more information on this excellent product which delivers aircraft specific seat force feedback for DCS modules. It is very immersive and I recommend it to anyone flying DCS.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175028

For the JetSeat to work in MP the server needs to allow 'player export data'.

Would you be able to enable player export data on your server?

Happy landings,

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 3 weeks later...
From the guy who got tired of fc3 aircraft and is spending majority of time in mig21 the scenario you guys run here can be really stressful and confusing. Everyone flies everything, can't iff properly like modern planes... Indentifying trough Silhouette would be much easier for an old rusty mig, or taking missiles out. Just suggestion, no offensive of course. If you're not totally into statistics and willing to make a change...

Hi there !

You are a brave man for flying the old rusty mig in a field full of F15s and M2000 !

You also make perfectly valid points.

The thing is that we want a light-headed server where we can train in close air combat. How can two friends train if they fancy F15 against F15 ?

I know it's a spaghetti situation for more serious simmers.

Maybe on our next server !

Always welcome and enjoy the merge !

Cheers

🙂 Smile 🙂

I've recently been playing on the Just Dogfight server and I think that the admin should give us the option to start on the ground and not allways in the air. I get the purpose of allways starting on the air. It's so the server is dynamic and there are people constantly dogfighting. But in my opinion, adding that option wouldn't compromise the dynamics a lot and would help the players who want to train scrambling.

Hi Noface !

Thanks for your time in our little server !

You can take off from the ground.

Just choose a slot that begins with "GRND".

Also note that the red SU33s can take off from the carrier. Choose a slot starting with "CARR".

The slots with "GUNS" will only have guns and start on a different map area.

Enjoy your dog fights/flights

Best regards !

🙂 Smile 🙂

High Flighter,

Thank you very much for the just dogfight server :)

I have a small request which I hope you can grant. I have a Gametrix 908 JetSeat with SimShaker for Aviators software. Please find the link below for more information on this excellent product which delivers aircraft specific seat force feedback for DCS modules. It is very immersive and I recommend it to anyone flying DCS.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175028

For the JetSeat to work in MP the server needs to allow 'player export data'.

Would you be able to enable player export data on your server?

Happy landings,

Dear Talisman Hi !

Thanks for the kind words.

We love DCS -- regardless of it's permanent "work in progress" issues and the server crashes...

The reason that the "player export data" is turned off is just for bandwidth reasons.

Unfortunately we do not have that great of an upload speed so we have chosen to try for less lag than more data.

I hope you can understand.

If we increase the bandwidth I will be glad to turn the data export on.

Have fun !

🙂 Smile 🙂

Dear Talisman Hi !

Thanks for the kind words.

We love DCS -- regardless of it's permanent "work in progress" issues and the server crashes...

The reason that the "player export data" is turned off is just for bandwidth reasons.

Unfortunately we do not have that great of an upload speed so we have chosen to try for less lag than more data.

I hope you can understand.

If we increase the bandwidth I will be glad to turn the data export on.

Have fun !

Hi Flighter,

Thank you for getting back to me. No probs. Thanks again for the server.

Happy landings,

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 1 month later...

10 months - Server upgrade

Hi All !

We have some good news as we reached the 10th month of server uptime.

The server availability almost touches 100%, which is remarkable considering the frequent server crashes.

Our first log entry dates 09 JAN 2107.

As of 10 OCT 2017 we had :

6959 unique player names, about 23 players per day.

24275 Connections, about 81 connections per day.

Our server has been upgraded and we are now pushing data with a maximum capacity of 500 Mbps.

We have increased the number of players to 40 and activated all "export data" options.

Keep on flying and smiling !

Happy flying to all !

Edited by Flighter

🙂 Smile 🙂

Hi there !

You are a brave man for flying the old rusty mig in a field full of F15s and M2000 !

You also make perfectly valid points.

The thing is that we want a light-headed server where we can train in close air combat. How can two friends train if they fancy F15 against F15 ?

I know it's a spaghetti situation for more serious simmers.

Maybe on our next server !

Always welcome and enjoy the merge !

Cheers

you could implement different skins for the two coalitions.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is now fixed in 1.5.8.12823

IMPORTANT !

Version 1.5.8 has serious issues with (at least) VR game-play.

See this post : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=197916

It seems that password protecting the server fixes this !!! Nothing is impossible with software...

Not verified 100% but all evidence are strong so far.

Edited by Flighter

🙂 Smile 🙂

• 1 month later...