Update of the F-5E to the F-5N level? - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you interested in a payware update of the 80´s F-5E to the present F-5N?
Yes 57 52.78%
No 40 37.04%
It would depend of the sale price. 11 10.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #41
Zilch

The F-5E, in my opinion, has very high value because of its unique mix of performance and limitations. It is fantastic, not in spite of its lack of digital nav systems and sophisticated guidance weapons that lighten your work load, but because of these limits.

The F-5E as it is now will make you better. Whether you're flying BFM, CAS, or strike, or even trying to nullify someone else's BVR advantage to get in close, the F-5 demands that you adapt your skills to overcome odds stacked against you.

So, I love the F-5 as-is and have learned a ton because of it.

HOWEVER, COMMA...

The airframe itself had a huge potential that was unfortunately never realized, mostly its well-known under-powered engines and simple avionics. Unleashing this beast's final form, seeing what it should have been, would be a great addition to DCS. So, despite many people only wanting combat-proven aircraft, I think DCS would be a great sandbox platform to realize some great designs that absolutely should have been produced.

The F-20 Tigershark is a batshit awesome aircraft that really harnessed the full potential of the F-5's basic design, remedied the thrust problem and added (among other things) full BVR and Maverick capabilities, INS nav system, digital displays, and ease of use. Just top notch.

So, if you're talking upgrades to the F-5 (though the Tigershark was really a new airplane,) I think the F-20 is the ultimate incarnation of it.

Fat chance of it happening, though...

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:
A-10C Guides
F-15C Guides
F-5 Engagements
My Cheap and Easy Sim Cockpit
Zilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #42
Knock-Knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
So, if you're talking upgrades to the F-5 (though the Tigershark was really a new airplane,) I think the F-20 is the ultimate incarnation of it.

Mm, sadly, cause that I would throw money at in a heartbeat.

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |
Knock-Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #43
Kongamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
The F-20 Tigershark is a batshit awesome aircraft that really harnessed the full potential of the F-5's basic design, remedied the thrust problem and added (among other things) full BVR and Maverick capabilities, INS nav system, digital displays, and ease of use. Just top notch.

That's a 100% different aircraft: different engine, different cockpit, different 3D model, 100% different flight model since the F-20 was to have Fly By Wire... It would not be an update of the F-5E. It would be a brand new plane that should be done from zero.
Kongamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #44
Chuck_Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongamato View Post
I don't want this plane to be "abandoned" by ED for the Hornet, the Viper or other. I want the module continue evolving and improving with updates and expansions, even paying a few bucks for it. And I want to know if other people think like me or I'm the only one and people have their attention centered in the new modules and this one is being cornered in their virtual hangars.
I wouldn't necessarily call the F-5E abandoned. It's feature-complete in every sense of the phrase. Belsimtek just picked a rather bare-bones variant of the F-5 to simulate. I mean, for Christ's sake, it doesn't even have ILS, VOR, or an INS. Technologies that all existed upon the aircraft's inception and could have been easily integrated.

You're far from the only one who wants a more modern, or at least more capable, version of the F-5. I wouldn't say I've pushed it to the side of my virtual hangar in favor of the newer modules, but I definitely fly it a lot less than I used to. I pretty much treat it like a T-38 now. Every now and then I'll hop in to sharpen my skills for flying an entirely manual airplane, particularly when it comes to flared landings since you shouldn't do those in the F/A-18 or F-14 (my other 2 modules). Besides that, I have zero desire to take the F-5E into combat ever again.

I would love an F-5N with the redesigned radio stack and center MFD.
Chuck_Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 PM   #45
CYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcet View Post
As an update? No.

As its own aircraft that would leave the F-5E available (ie as with the two L-39's)? Yes.
I share the same sentiments.

Earlier model F-5's like the A and the C version that was used in Vietnam would be nice also.

Last edited by CYLON; 04-17-2019 at 11:48 PM.
CYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #46
Stratos

I would prefer a variant capable of deploying AGM-65, and If possible an air to air refuelling probe. that, or totally the opposite, F-5A Freedom Fighter.

Last edited by Stratos; 04-19-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #47
SnappShot

This conversation is such a waste of pixels for a moving map, and slightly different radio. Waste of time investment by devs and I fly the F-5 very regularly and slay tomcats with it.
SnappShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #48
Kongamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappShot View Post
This conversation is such a waste of pixels for a moving map, and slightly different radio. Waste of time investment by devs and I fly the F-5 very regularly and slay tomcats with it.
Sincerelly, I think your comment is a waste of pixels. It´s not "a moving map". It´s a new radar, INS and ILS among other things. It´s to make a simple "Day fighter" in a "All Weather" aircraft. And congratulations for slaying tomcats. Your medal is on the mail.
Kongamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #49
Kev2go

+1

Did a wishlist thread on the F5N in the past.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217012

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Crucial Ballistix DDR4 16gb ram (2400 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote