Where are the Cold War and Warbird multiplayer servers?

pegg00

Warbirds serers are very few at the moment. But lower server numbers is really a consequence of low plyer interest, I would suggest. The online warbirds player-base has all but dried up over the past year as players are apparently getting more value and spending their time elsewhere.

Burning Skies, the ACG Server and RAF662 server are the three 24/4 (ish) servers most often seen online.

I'm currently working on getting Storm of War server running in DCS, but it will start off with specific events before I think about a 24/7 server.

I don't expect to see solid player numbers in DCS warbird multiplayer until,

1. The B17 damage model is improved a bit

2. Assets-pack ground units are fleshed out some more

3. a couple of new AI types are added to the aircraft set (i.e. a couple of twin engined AI aircraft)

4. The much discussed "damage model" improvements for the player-flyable-modules make their way into release state.

When the above might happen is really anyone's guess though, but when it dos happen, that's when I'd expect to see a repopulation of DCS warbirds online.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Other WW2 combat flight sims dont feel the same as DCS. Its hard to explain but others feel like the cockpit instruments are useless, like all the planes are the same because you dont pay attention to whats inside the plane. Nothing beats DCS fidelity and it saddens me that WW2 combat is all but dead :( Hell, anything thats not FC3 or Hornet is all but dying, at least thats how it feels..

Other WW2 combat flight sims dont feel the same as DCS. Its hard to explain but others feel like the cockpit instruments are useless, like all the planes are the same because you dont pay attention to whats inside the plane. Nothing beats DCS fidelity and it saddens me that WW2 combat is all but dead .

Here's the funny thing, I feel the same as you and I am willing to bet there are many other who do too. But, a lot of people are waiting for everyone else to go online first and populate the servers before they do. How do I know this? Because I put a server up with 10 mates who had agreed to fly at the same time, and within 20 minutes a whole lot of other players were joining, apprently out of the blue..

I've watched Burning Skies go from zero players; then a squadron like the 362nd will join with 6 or 8 guys.. and then 30 minutes later there are 25 people in there.

DCS multiplayer suffers the same problem as loads of other sims.. poeple log in, they check to see if any of the servers are busy and if none are, they log off. They don't realise than 50 other people are doing the same thing!

This is why a lobby system is so good, and why hyperlobby was so successful for all those years - with a quick glance you could see how many people were hovering about watching multiplayer, but not in a server. You could send out a quick call-to-arms and within minutes 25 people were piling into a game together.

The Burning-Skies server is really crowded since the updates to the normandy map.

And the cold war server still exists and is called Cold War 1946-1991 with the same missions the ACG server had.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

The Burning-Skies server is really crowded since the updates to the normandy map.

And the cold war server still exists and is called Cold War 1946-1991 with the same missions the ACG server had.

I've checked everyday and have never seen it, however I only check if it has more then 1 player. Am I doing something wrong?

I've checked everyday and have never seen it, however I only check if it has more then 1 player. Am I doing something wrong?

Busiest times are from 1900 Central Europe time until around 2230.

Friday and Sunday nights are busy (25+ players) but other nights are getting busier.

I have to refresh the server list 2 or 3 times before Burning Skies shows on my list. So don't just give up if you cannot see it first time.

The WW2 servers have added labels mods to resolve this.. sure, they shouldn't have to, but they have.

ACG Cold War server didn't have any labels. I loved the Mig21Bis vs F-5 combat, but I gave up due to inability of spotting targets 1km away from you.

Am I special?

• 2 weeks later...

Spotting has stopped me . Waiting for fix .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

I don't expect to see solid player numbers in DCS warbird multiplayer until,

1. The B17 damage model is improved a bit

2. Assets-pack ground units are fleshed out some more

3. a couple of new AI types are added to the aircraft set (i.e. a couple of twin engined AI aircraft)

4. The much discussed "damage model" improvements for the player-flyable-modules make their way into release state.

When the above might happen is really anyone's guess though, but when it dos happen, that's when I'd expect to see a repopulation of DCS warbirds online.

This is correct IMHO. When you start seeing more assets in theater for people to shoot down, bomb etc., then I think you will see an improvement in people putting time and money in modules for WW2.

really hope the servers repopulate. I just got an F-5 and an L-39 and hope to get into the air tomorrow. Will be a bit, but I should be able to provide a target to ppl who know what they are doing before to long. Really shocked that multi-player is dying. Hell, Elder Scrolls Online has hordes of ppl swarming to kill Orcs and such. What's the problem?

really hope the servers repopulate. I just got an F-5 and an L-39 and hope to get into the air tomorrow. Will be a bit, but I should be able to provide a target to ppl who know what they are doing before to long. Really shocked that multi-player is dying. Hell, Elder Scrolls Online has hordes of ppl swarming to kill Orcs and such. What's the problem?

Im no expert, but from what I know, Visibility and damage models seems to be the most urgent and popular complaints. Without radar I cant see or find a damn thing, kinda ruins anything not FC3.

Im no expert, but from what I know, Visibility and damage models seems to be the most urgent and popular complaints. Without radar I cant see or find a damn thing, kinda ruins anything not FC3.

So this fascinates me, because isn't this realistic. I've been able to spot planes in the distance on VR. I know it's difficult, but it's also the type of pattern you fly. The other problem is that the majority of players are solo and much harder to spot than a flight of P51s.

DCS multiplayer suffers the same problem as loads of other sims.. poeple log in, they check to see if any of the servers are busy and if none are, they log off. They don't realise than 50 other people are doing the same thing!

This is why a lobby system is so good, and why hyperlobby was so successful for all those years - with a quick glance you could see how many people were hovering about watching multiplayer, but not in a server. You could send out a quick call-to-arms and within minutes 25 people were piling into a game together.

Couldn't have said that any better!

Every time I log in to multiplayer and find my server - Cold War 1947 - 1991 - empty, I simply connect to it. By the time I'm rearming and preparing myself for some air to ground mission, other players start joining. in a matter of 20-30 minutes we end up having 8-15 players flying! No body wants to be the first guy to join. That's why I have air to ground objectives in all the 10 missions I have. In case you join and you're the first, you can still pound something until others join.

Connect by IP if you don't see it: 158.69.122.193

really hope the servers repopulate. I just got an F-5 and an L-39 and hope to get into the air tomorrow.

The F-5 is a main module on my server and the L-39 is included in most missions. Here's the server's thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=211361

The Cold War theatre is dying or maybe dead already due to the following, according to my analysis:

1- The F-18 hype. And if the Cold War is dying only, then wait for the F-14 to rip its head off.

2- Just like philstyle said, if the server or any server is empty, no one joins.

3- Obviousley the spotting issue. Wouldn't have thought that myself, but seems to be something.

4- And this ones gets my blood pressure rising... ACG... A name in DCS without a name. Not sure how to get players to understand that the missions they used to love on the ACG server are still out there, running smoothly on an even more stable server, BUT has a different name all it is. I swear to God, if I'd change the server's name from Cold War 1947 - 1991 to ACG, it would be swarming with players, or so I believe. Is it that players are just unaware or simply ignorant to the story behind ACG (which I've explained multiple times, even via pm's to at least 40 players!)? Or is it really something else that I can't think of?

I actually do think, it's the F-18. Many avid players who used to fly my missions almost every day/night on the ACG server are now flying the F-18 here and there. If that's the case then there is nothing I can do about it. I even designed a dynamic mission based on the scenario I have in my 10 missions to maybe encourage players to fly more Cold War. However, I released the campaign by the time the Hornet arrived! 2 months later I took it out and went back to the missions -> Same result. So it's definitely the F-18 :pilotfly:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

So this fascinates me, because isn't this realistic. I've been able to spot planes in the distance on VR. I know it's difficult, but it's also the type of pattern you fly. The other problem is that the majority of players are solo and much harder to spot than a flight of P51s.

Realistic? Im not sure. However even in a simulator, I dont think gameplay should be sacrificed for realism (assuming you cant see planes in a clear sky 1km out in real life). I understand making the systems and flight models as realistic and challenging as their real life counterparts, but alot of people want gameplay to use those planes with. And sometimes gameplay sacrifices realism(because computer screens dont have millions of years of evolution like your eyeballs do). Perhaps a setting of “realistic visibility” and “game visibility” would be a good solution. I strongly believe multiplayer will bring in ALOT of players, and if ED is willing to sacrifice realism for something like FC3 or keyboard and mouse Modern Air Combat to bring new players in, surely a core mechanic of the game like visibility should be high on the priority list. Although, sadly, the topic seems to be ignored.

Edited by pegg00

3- Obviousley the spotting issue. Wouldn't have thought that myself, but seems to be something :

Have you considered trying a label mod? Maybe the one with just a black dot? That one made single player campaigns/ missions really enjoyable for me at least. It still isn't easy, you need to know where to look. And it doesn' t help with that weird distance when you're kind of close but not super close, in a turn fight, and the opponent just melts into the background and disappears. Even though you know exactly where to look...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

And it doesn' t help with that weird distance when you're kind of close but not super close, in a turn fight, and the opponent just melts into the background and disappears. Even though you know exactly where to look...

Oh, just found the thread "a smeared label mod (2.5)" where there is a mod that kind of helps with this perticular issue. I've only tested it in Caucasus, F5 vs Mig 21, but it actually works really well!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk