Possible Solution to Stutter

I'm afraid, I didn't understand exactly : so, we can create clouds, with dynamic weather?

In this case, what would be the difference? If the heavy clouds create the stuttering, the issue will remain. With or without the Dynamic Weather

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

The cloud stuttering is different than what Goa was talking about with trackir. The cloud stutter is an obvious and blatant stutter. You can actually watch the fps counter drop by half or more when it occurs.

I only get this with cumulus clouds enabled. I've yet to experience it just flying around with clouds set to zero. I really wish ED would show us some progress on the new weather engine. Or at least enable editing of the cloud lua's. There's a bunch of settings in there that look interesting. Any changes to them will disable all clouds though. I wish I could just make cloud setting 8 thicker to where they almost cover the entire sky.

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

The cloud stuttering is different than what Goa was talking about with trackir. The cloud stutter is an obvious and blatant stutter. You can actually watch the fps counter drop by half or more when it occurs.

I only get this with cumulus clouds enabled. I've yet to experience it just flying around with clouds set to zero. I really wish ED would show us some progress on the new weather engine. Or at least enable editing of the cloud lua's. There's a bunch of settings in there that look interesting. Any changes to them will disable all clouds though. I wish I could just make cloud setting 8 thicker to where they almost cover the entire sky.

You could do it by add to six fronts and anti-cyclon wheather, try putting in each front a different presure index, better in negative that seems to create more clouds.

Exactly its more shimmering than stuttering, when looking around in the cockpit the frames are still good, there is no CPU or GPU usage drop, but there is no fluidty.

This a video I've made not long time ago

So bandit, with yout new motherboard and the new monitor , are you still running the game with lock fps at 60?

I don't think this trackir issue is really a DCS issue. People have this same problem in other sims. I also have less than smooth trackir in Aerofly FS 2, even with framerate locked at 120fps. I even found a thread about it on the Natural Point forums (link below). I tried the suggestion by the OP but it didn't make any difference for me in Aerofly.

I'm still experimenting with running DCS at higher fps than 60. If I leave the fps unlocked then my 1080TI tries to achieve the highest possible framerate and maxes itself out. The fps fluctuates wildly and can go anywhere from 50 - 120 fps. Normally its around 70 - 90. If I leave it locked at 60 things are smooth, and my GPU stays around 75% utilization. This gives me some headroom to add in higher settings if they ever add some better AA options.

Aerofly FS2 thread:

https://www.aerofly.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/12599-help-trackir-not-smooth-but-everything-else-is/

Edited by bandit648

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

I don't think this trackir issue is really a DCS issue. People have this same problem in other sims. I also have less than smooth trackir in Aerofly FS 2, even with framerate locked at 120fps. I even found a thread about it on the Natural Point forums (link below). I tried the suggestion by the OP but it didn't make any difference for me in Aerofly.

I'm still experimenting with running DCS at higher fps than 60. If I leave the fps unlocked then my 1080TI tries to achieve the highest possible framerate and maxes itself out. The fps fluctuates wildly and can go anywhere from 50 - 120 fps. Normally its around 70 - 90. If I leave it locked at 60 things are smooth, and my GPU stays around 75% utilization. This gives me some headroom to add in higher settings if they ever add some better AA options.

Aerofly FS2 thread:

https://www.aerofly.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/12599-help-trackir-not-smooth-but-everything-else-is/

hi bandit648 , i am aware about that post on aerofly2, i read it many times, I've run the process of unistalling trackir, even tough I have a fresh installation of WIN10 1803 and there is no change at all.

So just to summarize your settings: as of now and in order to run the game smoothly without the shimmering effect when fps range is let's sayh 70-100, are you running the game capped at 60 then , or are you able to run it even without capping them?

You said in same of your previous posts that you change the mobo from the taichi to the hero X, is it better now with the trackir or is it still the same?

Thanks a lot and apologise for the many questions :thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

hi bandit648 , i am aware about that post on aerofly2, i read it many times, I've run the process of unistalling trackir, even tough I have a fresh installation of WIN10 1803 and there is no change at all.

So just to summarize your settings: as of now and in order to run the game smoothly without the shimmering effect when fps range is let's sayh 70-100, are you running the game capped at 60 then , or are you able to run it even without capping them?

You said in same of your previous posts that you change the mobo from the taichi to the hero X, is it better now with the trackir or is it still the same?

Thanks a lot and apologise for the many questions :thumbup:

Switching to the Asus board just resolved my freezing during restart with trackir plugged into USB 3 port. I still have the same shimmer effect with trackir if over 60 fps.

This makes me wonder if high refresh rate G-Sync monitors are worth it for DCS. If I can only run DCS at 60 fps what's the point? I'm not confident Natural Point is going to do anything about this.

Has anyone tried any trackir alternatives (like FaceTrackNoIR) to see if they do the same thing?

Switching to the Asus board just resolved my freezing during restart with trackir plugged into USB 3 port. I still have the same shimmer effect with trackir if over 60 fps.

This makes me wonder if high refresh rate G-Sync monitors are worth it for DCS. If I can only run DCS at 60 fps what's the point? I'm not confident Natural Point is going to do anything about this.

Has anyone tried any trackir alternatives (like FaceTrackNoIR) to see if they do the same thing?

i use Opentrack with a clip.... works extremely well.

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

i use Opentrack with a clip.... works extremely well.

What are using for a camera? The PS3 eye goes up to 120hz so I wonder if that would work better than the trackir camera.

I happen to have a PS3 eye laying around so I tore it apart to take out the IR filter. Turns out I have the one that's impossible to remove :doh:

@bandit648 : also trackir is supposed to run at 120 fps , but if you open msi afterburner with rivatuner to monito the fps, you will notice within the trackir software that you will get a max fps of 60 fps....whch is really strange.

Maybe some trackir units are faulty and they only run at 60 fps whch would explain why some of us are having "stuttering" if above >60 fps?

@bitmaster : please made, use your msi afterburner and let us know how many fps it shows within the trackir sofware?

Mine says : 60 FPS OPENGL Render

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

@bandit648 : also trackir is supposed to run at 120 fps , but if you open msi afterburner with rivatuner to monito the fps, you will notice within the trackir software that you will get a max fps of 60 fps....whch is really strange.

Maybe some trackir units are faulty and they only run at 60 fps whch would explain why some of us are having "stuttering" if above >60 fps?

@bitmaster : please made, use your msi afterburner and let us know how many fps it shows within the trackir sofware?

Mine says : 60 FPS OPENGL Render

This is an interesting theory. I realized yesterday that the TrackIR is infact 120hz. I will test the framerate for mine and report back.

Interesting results for trackir fps. Mine appears to be locked at 30. If I move my head around with the track clip pro on the fps doesn't go over 30. If I move the mouse around the screen it will go up to 120. Strange.

Interesting results for trackir fps. Mine appears to be locked at 30. If I move my head around with the track clip pro on the fps doesn't go over 30. If I move the mouse around the screen it will go up to 120. Strange.

true, just checked, when I move my head it's like nailed at 61 but when I move the mouse it's 116 fps in TiR GUI

Oh man, this is nuts. I am just happy I try to fix it for fun and not because I suffer from it (yet).

About to wipe my system anyway and then we will se eif a fresh rig will go smooth or take chances and go nuts like yours. Coming week when i find the time I will blank it and do it again, having serious "brrrrrrrbrrr" freeze issues for 2-5 seconds, regardless of what the Windows PCV does, it goes on after those few seconds and unfreezes, even DCS MP works and didnt disconn me, but run into the ground..yikes

I suspect my last Audio driver update warning ( RTFM ) was meant serious

whereas I only overinstalled the thing, might have broken things...will find out...watching YT and getting a BRRRRRRRRR every few hours is very annoying.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm using the ED Tracker with Opentrack 2.3 . Works perfectly.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm using the ED Tracker with Opentrack 2.3 . Works perfectly.

What monitor do you have?

What are using for a camera? The PS3 eye goes up to 120hz so I wonder if that would work better than the trackir camera.

I happen to have a PS3 eye laying around so I tore it apart to take out the IR filter. Turns out I have the one that's impossible to remove :doh:

yep.. ps3 eye... also.. you dont even have to remove the filter.. just get some red and blue color gels and place them in front of the lens... will filter out just about everything except ir.. you can cut a hole in a bottle cap and stack the gels inside of it to make a quick removable ir filter to just place over the lens.

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

What monitor do you have?

Nothing Fancy. Just a little guy that fits my space requirements.

Acer K212HQL 1920 X 1080 @ 60 HZ

(And a good pair of reading glasses :-) )

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing Fancy. Just a little guy that fits my space requirements.

Acer K212HQL 1920 X 1080 @ 60 HZ

(And a good pair of reading glasses :-) )

that's the point, the majour issues are with gsync monitors.

• 1 month later...
What issues with Gsync monitors ? Am about to pull the trigger on one of those.

I mean that the trackir stutter seems to be gsync related, but its not very clear what's causing this issue.

:)

We can turn it off and do some test runs...heck..why not ;)

Last night I had a 60fps-50% GPU flight...and said to myself "You are missing 60fps, this could be 120, DO SOMETHING to solve that TiR issue".

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

We can turn it off and do some test runs...heck..why not ;)

Last night I had a 60fps-50% GPU flight...and said to myself "You are missing 60fps, this could be 120, DO SOMETHING to solve that TiR issue".

hahha mate, pls contact me via pm , we need to talk over discord or ts3 or via satellite, whatever :D

• 2 weeks later...
TrackIR stutters on my end, mostly 45 degree angles. Same old story, DCS has a field of view problem. Terrain stutter at certain angles which transfers to TrackIR. No Gsync here if that helps ...

actually I am not quite sure it is DCS or trackir..If I only use the keyboard or the joystick hat to pan around I will not suffe any form of stuttering, this happens only in conjuctiion with trackir.

I have the same issue also in other games as ARMA3.

There is a simple fact: trackir runs in OPENGL, DCS runs in D3D with direct X.... and Naturalpoint is not updataing their drivers/firmwares since 2016!!!!!