How to enable IFF on Hornet?

jamius19

Hey everyone, new Hornet player here!

I had some problems regarding the Hornet IFF. For the love of God, I can't quite figure out how this works. Regardless of whether I've locked a friendly or a bandit (verified in single player), it always shows up as Box and not a Diamond. It's driving me crazy! Can any kind soul give me the exact instructions on how to get it working?

My current config looks like,

jae9vdh.jpg

Currently, I have an enemy Mirage on lock, but it's showing up as friendly!

Thanks in advance! :D

IFF is enabled in your picture. Its only function is to interrogate the target and log whether the target responded with a correct reply or not.

What you're talking about is the ROE Matrix. It determines whether a contact is classified as Hostile, Ambiguous or Friendly, based on a set of criteria.

The current implementation (that the player cannot change, at the moment) requires that a two-source verification is required to declare a contact as Hostile and one-source to declare is as Friendly.

When you are without donor support (AWACS, Friendly fighters on Link-16), one source is your own IFF system and another is the radar's NCTR mode, so it becomes (Negative IFF response + Aircraft type belonging to the hostile coalition = Hostile). NCTR works below 20nm and requires you to have the target at a +- 30 degree aspect.

When you have donor support, you can classify contacts from much further away, because they provide one source and your IFF can provide another.

tl;dr If you don't have an AWACS, you need to lock them with STT and NCTR enabled and also IFF them to declare them hostile. If you have AWACS or another donor, just IFF them and they'll be declared hostile, as long as the donor has also declared them as hostile.

Don't fly without AWACS, if you can help it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Now I can identify hostiles correctly. :)

On another note, I have to press Sensor Depress multiple times before the aircraft it properly identified as hostile. Is it normal behavior?

Edited by jamius19

Just to add something, the ROE Matrix determines under which criteria a contact is classed as hostile, friendly etc. We can't change how this works now, but I've read that we'll be able to, in the future. For example, a different ROE Matrix would be used in an all out war, a different one in a contested region with multiple coalitions present, a different one in case the enemy has the same aircraft as you etc.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Given that all aircraft in DCS are either friendly or enemy, I believe it's safe to assume an ambiguous contact is an enemy. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Not really. It could be that you're without donor support, the aircraft is not Link-16 capable (or your Datalink is off) and either your or their IFF transponder is damaged or off. You'll see an ambiguous contact on your radar, which won't respond to IFF interrogation, even though it's a friendly aircraft.

If the above doesn't happen, you're right, for now. In the future, I remember reading that a neutral coalition will be added.

-

Hey everyone, new Hornet player here!

I had some problems regarding the Hornet IFF. For the love of God, I can't quite figure out how this works. Regardless of whether I've locked a friendly or a bandit (verified in single player), it always shows up as Box and not a Diamond. It's driving me crazy! Can any kind soul give me the exact instructions on how to get it working?

My current config looks like,

jae9vdh.jpg

Currently, I have an enemy Mirage on lock, but it's showing up as friendly!

Thanks in advance! :D

What do the following buttons do, 1, 2, 3, 4A, C in UFC, IFF?

Are they supposed to be pressed?

Given that all aircraft in DCS are either friendly or enemy, I believe it's safe to assume an ambiguous contact is an enemy. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Actually a target is designated as ambiguous if it's been designated differently by two different sources. So if one unit determines a contact is hostile, but another determines it's friendly, that would create an ambiguous contact. Of course the AI always know what's true, but with the Hornet's ability now to manually set a contact's PLID on the radar, it's possible (yet unlikely) to see ambiguous contacts through human error.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

PLID.... So that's interesting now. If one Hornet were to ID a friendly as hostile using PLID, and one other aircraft were to interrogate correctly as friendly, when you try to IFF it, is there a 50 50 chance you get an ambiguous ID?

Is the button supposed to be active beside 4a because I don't see the colon : lit up indicating selected item?
AFAIK, the IFF system is working only on a On/Off basis for now, so none of the options do anything or work.

-

PLID.... So that's interesting now. If one Hornet were to ID a friendly as hostile using PLID, and one other aircraft were to interrogate correctly as friendly, when you try to IFF it, is there a 50 50 chance you get an ambiguous ID?
As per my understanding, if one pilot identifies a target as friendly and another pilot identifies it as hostile, then it'll show up on your radar as unknown.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Diagnosis by type of aircraft, unfortunately, does not work when the same planes fly on both sides. AWACS często brakuje w misjach, więc mamy tylko IFF. This in multiplayer missions works very capriciously, like RWR (has a long delay and is misleading). Range 20kts for IFF? Very often I have no identification with 5kts ...

IFF works for much longer distances than 20nm. It's just without Datalink (or donors in the Datalink), it's only one source and then you have to wait for the NCTR print to provide the second source to declare the target as hostile. And don't forget that NCTR requires that the target's aspect is within +-30 degrees from the front or +-30 degrees from the back.

But on a friendly target, even with Datalink off, IFF is enough to declare them as friendly and it works from far away.

Edited by Harker

-

"I believe it's safe to assume an ambiguous contact is an enemy."

And that's how it happens folks :).

No offense man :)... Just made me laugh :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

is it just me or is the iff and datalink and radar in the hornet so inconsistent and so unreliable that they are worse than useless. fly multiplayer with tomcats while they engage multiship waves of migs while you sit there "what? where? who?...