world navigation? (how to find airfields?)

fael097

hi, I always like to return to base after a mission, but sometimes I'm too far away to return to the base I came from, and I always have trouble finding nearby airfields when I'm somewhere without waypoints.

there isn't an easy to use gps at hand, the HSI map doesn't show you much information such as ils frequencies, or tacan, or a simple heading for the runway, or even comm frequencies.

I mean, there's a list of tacan frequencies in the database but they don't say anything, where are they from, etc.

I know I can just contact an airfield via radio and ask for directions, but I don't know which is which, which is closest, runway heading, and when there are two fields next to each other, I have no idea how to figure out which one I'm talking to. no instrument info either.

what I mean is, what if I'm in the middle of nowhere with low visibility and I just wanna land somewhere nearby?

am I just too used to civilian flight sim?

also, when I'm given instructions via radio such as Fly heading 240 for 45, what does the 45 mean? distance in nautical miles? if so, how do I know how many miles I've flown since that moment? (or at all)

Edited by fael097

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

I set up a runway waypoint in flight then set 'course select' to line up to the given runway # and you're good to go.

Good old aviation nav math is what you'll need to use to figure distance travelled in a given time without having a waypoint.

I always use TACAN to find the nearest field. You can also use the F-10 map. Use the ruler tool to find distance and heading to airfield. Then zoom in and run the ruler tool down the runway you intend to use. This will show what heading the runway is. Turn on the TACAN for that runway then set heading on HSI. Intercept the heading a couple miles back and turn into your approach. If no TACAN for that airfield set a manual waypoint for the center of the runway. Then set your heading.

hi, I always like to return to base after a mission, but sometimes I'm too far away to return to the base I came from, and I always have trouble finding nearby airfields when I'm somewhere without waypoints.

Mission planning/notes and use the F10 map in place of a paper chart.

there isn't an easy to use gps at hand, the HSI map doesn't show you much information such as ils frequencies, or tacan, or a simple heading for the runway, or even comm frequencies.

The F10 map substitutes for paper charts, it has a ruler for measuring distances and True bearings. Clicking on an airport will give a list of nav aids and ATC frequencies for that airport.

I mean, there's a list of tacan frequencies in the database but they don't say anything, where are they from, etc.

I'm not sure which list/map you mean, you can add your own notes (.jpg, .png) to your kneeboard ("Saved Games\DCS\Kneeboard\FA-18C_hornet") if needed or use the F10 map.

I know I can just contact an airfield via radio and ask for directions, but I don't know which is which, which is closest,

The ATC at the top of the coms menu, is the closest (but may not be the one you wish to use), 2nd - 2nd closest, etc.

If you don't want to cheat using that, HSI > Data > A/C will give you your own Lat/Long position in Degrees and Decimal Minutes (DDM) - which you can use to look for on the F10 map using the mouse cursor.

runway heading,

When you talk to ATC, you have the name of the airfield and are given the active runway i.e. RWY 08 is on approx 080°

when there are two fields next to each other, I have no idea how to figure out which one I'm talking to. no instrument info either.

If you are not using 'easy coms', ATC will only reply if you are on their frequency (which you made a note of before takeoff or got via the F10 map airport info).

what I mean is, what if I'm in the middle of nowhere with low visibility and I just wanna land somewhere nearby?

Ok, you've messed up, the Hornet has FPAS that tells you how much fuel you have and your expected range - but I'll go with the flow and assume you've done no pre-planning and want to land for 'reasons'.

• HSI > Data > A/C for own position.

• Choose a suitable airfield from the F10 map that's close by.

• Look for ATC info via the F10 map including what nav aids it has

• If the airport doesn't have TACAN and isn't a pre-planned waypoint - get the airport Lat/Long/Alt and create a new steerpoint, add it to your flight plan and select it.

• Contact ATC for the active runway and guidance to the IAF (10-20 NM out) you may or may not want to fly that far out from the airfield.

• Get the runway bearing from the F10 map and set your approach course.

• Intercept the runway centre line (course line through the newly created waypoint) using 300-400 ft Alt per NM from the airport,

• Decision Height 600 ft / 1.5 NM visibility

This is a lot of work while running on fumes, which is why this stuff should be pre-planned and bingo set, etc., the first flight plan is the hardest as, after you've done one and perhaps found what works for DCS, alot can be copied and pasted to the next.

I'm not sure, in the Harrier it'd have a database of pre-loaded theater nav aids and airports - that could be copied to an existing or new steerpoint to use for an INS update or to land in an emergency. Obviously, there's still need for paper charts etc. as a backup and 'just in case'.

The A-10C is also similar and it's feature is even modelled in DCS.

also, when I'm given instructions via radio such as Fly heading 240 for 45, what does the 45 mean? distance in nautical miles?

240 for 45 = 240°T for 45 NM

Note: ATC/AWACS gives True bearings, while the new carrier Air Boss uses Magnetic.

... if so, how do I know how many miles I've flown since that moment? (or at all)

The HSI shows your ground speed i.e. 360GS = 6 NM/min, 45/6 = 7:30 min, so you might expect to reach the runway's IAF in 7-8 minutes.

300GS = 5 NM/min, 240GS = 4 NM/min, etc., etc.

The IFEI Elapsed Time 'ET' button starts the stop watch, so you'll use that with your ground speed when using dead reckoning to estimate your position.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Could be mistaking here (only use TACAN myself), but I think you can also request airfield azimuth (heading) from the radio/ATC menu.

Might be easy to use if you don't yet understand how to use TACAN

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The Hornet works with waypoints. Use the F10 map to obtain coordinates for an airport you want to fly to and enter them in your nav system. Your nav system also tells you your current position which you can use to find your position on the F10 map (if you set the game settings to not show your positon on the F10 map).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I’m guessing you are like me and you don’t use the F10 map much. I fly in VR and hardly use the F10 map since it’s a break from immersion. I use the kneeboard a lot, and there are plenty of maps in the kneeboard and you can also add whatever you want to the kneeboards, just like in real life. DCS is quite realistic and if you really want to get into it, nothing beats preflight planning. A pilot always knows when to return due to fuel, where they are, and where the divert airfields are.

I’ll admit, I enjoy realism, but I often skip the preflight planning and just go for it, only in DCS, never IRL. I’ll usually run into the same problems you mentioned, but I deserve it at that point.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I know I can just contact an airfield via radio and ask for directions, but I don't know which is which, which is closest, runway heading, and when there are two fields next to each other, I have no idea how to figure out which one I'm talking to. no instrument info either.

also, when I'm given instructions via radio such as Fly heading 240 for 45, what does the 45 mean? distance in nautical miles? if so, how do I know how many miles I've flown since that moment? (or at all)

You have all the info [see previous post] you need to input and use the F-18 technology to fly and land.

When/If MK option gets implemented:

4. MK Option. Pressing the MK option button saves a mark point at the location of the aircraft

when the button was pressed. Up to nine mark points can be created. After the ninth, the

first mark point will be over-written and so forth. Not implemented at Early Access release.

(Coming later in Open Beta)

P.9

Edited by fitness88

DCS need more realism with landings and ATC, not only in carrier's. I hope after finishing carrier module, they will rework ATC comms too.

+1

I remember very early versions had ATC bringing you in, telling you when to turn final, mentioning other aircraft in the area etc. Maybe as early as Locon or FC?