Journey of a new pilot...

Buckeye

Lots of great advice, thanks as always fellas. I will give all of this stuff a shot when I can hop on MP in a little bit. I am guilting of not doing a lot of the "best practices" mentioned (I fire from too high without trading altitude for speed, I don't crank, I fire from way too far out to force them defensive when it's not necessary, etc.), so the tips should prove to be quite useful.

Not sure you meant it, but firing from high altitude is great, the missile will convert altitude into airspeed by itself also :)

It's the getting fired at at high altitude what causes problems :D

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I wasn't specific enough there, my bad. I more meant engaging and staying too high, which ultimately leads me to being high when I need to go defensive and that never works out well for me.

Using the tips you guys gave last night helped a good bit. I still need to learn to be less aggressive and know when to turn defensive. I wait way too long.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I'm getting much better with MP experience and the tips you all have given in here, I've even had a few of the regulars in the 104th tell me the same, so it feels good to be improving at a noticeable pace. A focus of mine now is learning when to turn defensive...currently I'm way too aggressive and I turn defensive too late because I have a natural instinct to press until the absolute last second. I need to overcome that.

Thanks again to all who have helped out so far and to those who I've had a chance to fly with, it's been a blast.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I'm getting much better with MP experience and the tips you all have given in here, I've even had a few of the regulars in the 104th tell me the same, so it feels good to be improving at a noticeable pace. A focus of mine now is learning when to turn defensive...currently I'm way too aggressive and I turn defensive too late because I have a natural instinct to press until the absolute last second. I need to overcome that.

Thanks again to all who have helped out so far and to those who I've had a chance to fly with, it's been a blast.

I'm glad you're enjoying it :):):)

Don't worry about pushing to the last second.. I mean, how can you learn the limit better than by pushing past it occasionally? ;)

I'm glad you're enjoying it :):):)

Don't worry about pushing to the last second.. I mean, how can you learn the limit better than by pushing past it occasionally? ;)

I'm having an absolute blast, man. I have found that I am very streaky...seems like some nights I can barely do better than a 1:1 kill ratio, then the next night all of the sudden I have 7 to 10 kills to only 1 or 2 deaths. Also, I am terrible with getting shot down by SAM's, I really need to find a better way to evade them or just learn to stay away from them all together... at least 25% of my deaths come from SAM's.

Stuge, just wanted to say that you have been a great help the few times we have gotten to fly together, so thanks for that. I hope to fly with you many more times in the future.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 2 weeks later...

Random question: With TrackIR, do you fellas leave the Z axis binding on for the "In Cockpit move forward/backward" or do you remove it? I find that I have to recenter my TIR quite often while flying due to small natural head movements. Tonight I removed the Z axis assignment all together for zoom and it made it much more simple (albeit less "realistic"). Curious to hear what you guys run with on this.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

In case you are still looking for free video capturing software, I've tested a few programs (probably you have too).

Fraps is one option, but my favorite is msi afterburner combined with rivatuner statistics server. With it you can monitor pretty much everything and you can capture video too (I recommend using MJPG compression and AVI container).

It will work with your R9 280x, it works flawlessly with my R9 290.

PS: Do you experience artifacting in games with that R9 280x?

Thanks I actually have both of those installed of my GPU monitoring and over clocking, never realized I could capture video as well! Thanks for the heads up!

I do not experience artifacting, or at least I have never noticed it. It runs games pretty damn well on my single ultra wide display.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Thanks I actually have both of those installed of my GPU monitoring and over clocking, never realized I could capture video as well! Thanks for the heads up!

I do not experience artifacting, or at least I have never noticed it. It runs games pretty damn well on my single ultra wide display.

Yep, you can capture video too, and this is the best solution I've found so far. I had trouble with Fraps because the uncompressed video files it generates can fill up 100GB in no time. Also, there were sync problems, lag, compatibility issues, etc. I tried Mirillis Action! too (it isn't free) and worked much better, but it decreased fps too much when recording (compared to afterburner). I also tried a couple more, but I wasn't convinced.

When I discovered I could capture video with afterburner I was skeptical at first, but then I tried and I couldn't believe my eyes, LOL.

It allows different types of compression (you can still use uncompressed format), you can use different containers, enable different options to maximize compatibility, in addition to the rest of options this kind of software always offers.

Fps impact is rather low compared to other video capturing software and the MJPG compression format seems to work rather well (output video files seem to preserve fps much better than Fraps ones).

Nice to see that your R9 280x doesn't artifact. I was concerned because there seems to be some people who have experienced artifacting with custom versions of this card when playing certain games (Battlefield 4, AC IV, etc.).

I guess that was just a bad batch.

Edited by Hardcard

Guys

I would recommend if yu have an AMD card, raptr for recording or if you have a Nvidia card use Shadowplay. Both of them are proprietary pieces of software from each company respectfully .

Both of them can record constantly with virtually no overhead what so ever, they can also do replay recordings and obviously take screenshots.

I know raptr can also link to your youtube account to upload your videos. Great pieces of software which I would recommend.

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth