Jester Not Locking Contacts

Horns

Most times when I ask Jester to lock up a radar contact he affirms and then does nothing and says nothing of it, despite the contact still being visible on radar. This problem has gone on long enough often enough that I feel confident that these aren't latent contacts that have since been lost every time. Jester's affirmative response suggests to me that the command has been accepted so that is not where the problem originates, but I have still tried using every way of referring to a contact I could (ie bogey ahead, target ahead, contact ahead, target number etc).

Has this been a widespread problem? I had just figured this was something that would get sorted out as the module develops, but since I didn't see other people mentioning this problem I thought I'd better check.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

I'm kind of new to and learning the module, but something seems to get borked up after losing a contact or breaking lock. I'm not sure what because I haven't learned to use the backseat yet, and am controlling Jester with vaicom pro, but basically whenever I lose an STT lock or break lock, he won't re-lock a target. I can call target single bogey ahead over and over and he will just say no can do. Then I call wake up, it resets his state, and he instantly locks a target.

I've had situations where I call wake up and he refuses to reset also, in which case if i give some other command, like scan range auto, then wake up again, he will reset and start finding targets again.

This problem has been mentioned before, and you are not alone. Almost every single flight I see a bandit on the TID, tell him to lock him, he says "OK", followed immediately by "lost lock". Maybe the bandit is maneuvering, maybe it's flying perpendicular to the radar so you can't lock him, despite him being on the data link... there are, actually, quite a few legitimate reason why this would happen. To sort out legitimate reasons from Jester just being stupid, I'd need to see a track file

This problem has been mentioned before, and you are not alone. Almost every single flight I see a bandit on the TID, tell him to lock him, he says "OK", followed immediately by "lost lock". Maybe the bandit is maneuvering, maybe it's flying perpendicular to the radar so you can't lock him, despite him being on the data link... there are, actually, quite a few legitimate reason why this would happen. To sort out legitimate reasons from Jester just being stupid, I'd need to see a track file
Cheers, track file attached. I'm using AIRIO at the moment (had the same issues using default menu system) so I'm afraid the track file won't be too informative. I did check in Tacview and that seems to show that one of the targets was flying to meet us head on rather than notching, but I will keep an eye on that to make sure I don't confuse a problem with normal behavior.

I'm kind of new to and learning the module, but something seems to get borked up after losing a contact or breaking lock. I'm not sure what because I haven't learned to use the backseat yet, and am controlling Jester with vaicom pro, but basically whenever I lose an STT lock or break lock, he won't re-lock a target. I can call target single bogey ahead over and over and he will just say no can do. Then I call wake up, it resets his state, and he instantly locks a target.

I've had situations where I call wake up and he refuses to reset also, in which case if i give some other command, like scan range auto, then wake up again, he will reset and start finding targets again.

Good to know, I hadn't thought of using the wake up call. It hasn't helped yet but it's certainly worth trying when this happens, thanks!

F-14 Jester.trk

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

I have Jester working as normal now, but I had to revert to the menu system for giving Jester instructions. For anyone who finds this looking for a solution:

reset everything but license data in the Vaicom configurator

uncheck Vaicom in the Voice Attack plugin manager, and

repair DCS.

Please note: this isn't a magic fix, it still takes patience and persistence to get Jester to lock anything via the onscreen menu. I found the most success STT locking "enemy target ahead". Here's hoping that improves and we get a chance to successfully use AIRIO in the future.

• 8 months later...

"Call Wake Up"????????????????

How do you tell Jester to Wake up?

"Call Wake Up"????????????????

How do you tell Jester to Wake up?

Say "wake up". That dude was saying that's how it's done while running Vaicom Pro and AIRIO.

last week on a MP server, I was at 40000 ft, a huge red AWACS was in front of me at the same height and it was the only plane. I could see its trail clearly, and also on f10 map, and also our awacs was telling the same. I ordered him to lock STT, he was unable, unable, unable. very strange.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

last week on a MP server, I was at 40000 ft, a huge red AWACS was in front of me at the same height and it was the only plane. I could see its trail clearly, and also on f10 map, and also our awacs was telling the same. I ordered him to lock STT, he was unable, unable, unable. very strange.

Flying similar direction and speed?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Flying similar direction and speed?

Yes, I was too high and loaded so I was kinda slow. AWACS was also slow

If you can't see this, then there is a problem

5acfdd93146e7126008b4779?width=1200&format=jpeg

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

Yes, I was too high and loaded so I was kinda slow. AWACS was also slow

That means possibly that closure speed was less than +/-100kts which is filtered out by AWG-9. "Problem" solved?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I don't think that closure speed less than 100 kts because it wasn't running away from me.

And isn't this filtering thing applies to certain radar modes? All modes have same weakness?

Youtube

I don't think that closure speed less than 100 kts because it wasn't running away from me.

And isn't this filtering thing applies to certain radar modes? All modes have same weakness?

I specifically asked about his aspect. Filter applies to Doppler modes of course.

• 11 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 6:46 AM, ebabil said:

Yes Heatblur treats Jester like some RIO who was never trained how to use a radar.  Basic 101 is seeing datalink, getting the altitude and adjusting the radar scan.  Instead as a pilot you have to tell him what to do.  I love the F-14 flight model but HB gets a C- overall until they stop testing Jester like a untrained Rio...