Vietnam War - POLL

Hueyman

Vietnam War - POLL  

1090 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam War - POLL

• Yes, it would create a new dimension to the DCS World simulator
    • No, I prefer 3rds to still work on aircrafts, and to fly in the same old Caucasus

Gosh, we need a heavy CAS prop driven A/C, such the Skyraider, and a good theater... intimely convinced we'll see 'Nam coming up one day !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

• 1 year later...
Flying nowadays in the Huey in Northern France makes me wonder when we'll see a true Vietnam map !

Well, if the announcement message of the F-18C at E3 can be taken serious on all notes, then we can expect the map after Strait of Hormuz.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Rather than a map per say, maybe just better suited tools to be able to make a close approximation ourselves? The mission editor dosent allow us to alter the terrain right?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

• 1 year later...

I would bet my own sister that the Vietnam map would beat the sale of the Dubai's one in few weeks after its release.

If I had a dime every time I read about people wanting a Vietnam map ... I would be out of misery.

This conflict is by far the most well known war after WWII.

• 4 months later...

GOOOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM !!!

Well, I'd say I really do not understand why we have no sight of a Vietnam map even today.

What's planned so far : Syria, other WWII theatre and Falkland right ?

Do you think there's a particular reason Vietnam is so overlooked ? If you read this whole thread, many people and some who seems to know well what they are talking about stated that such a terrain has a huge potential for the A/Cs we have now, in the hands of skilled campaing makers who are not afraid to go beyond conventions to really give the feeling of this so particular war.

I mean , common guys :

- WE HAVE : Huey, Mi-8, MiG 15, MiG 19, MiG 21, A4 Skyhawk, and F-5 , which is pretty HUGE for DCS !

- WE WILL HAVE : AH-1 Cobra, A-1H Skyraider, F4 Phantom, F100D Super Sabre, A6 Intruder, A7 Corsair II, OV10 Bronco, DHC-4 Caribou plus those I'm still not aware of !

That's roughly 15 aircrafts that will fit this particular terrain, with also great opportunity for Naval Ops with the nearby sea, and Combined Arms may finally have a good utility and expansion ..

I actually see only advantages of such theatre, and now we even have collidable trees !

1500km long, 400km wide roughly, 330 000 Km²... Its indeed a massive ammount of work to do and fill it appropriately, but for now, only Caucasus is really large and actually filled with details, others are mostly desert and Normandy slowly expands but that takes time.

I didn't find much on the current maps development, but I feel that only ED , Ugra Media and Razbam are doing the job, it's better than nothing but I see no other companies only dedicated to maps.

Anyway, let's continue dreaming and cross fingers, in the meantime here is the expression of my dreams coupled with what is achieved nowadays in the game indutrsy regarding Vietnam Green Hell ...

Enjoy !!!

wHr4lb4.jpg?2

48S6vHh.jpg?2

fX2KmsX.jpg?2

JAB5umN.jpg?2

pb9jIKZ.jpg?2

36ljPSY.jpg?1

km5uzlB.jpg?1

BN2DhtC.jpg?1

Hueyman

Edited by Hueyman

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A Vietnam era would make me orgasm uncontrollably, tbh, and probably like 4 out of 5 other people, too. As others have mentioned, it's a sweet spot in aviation history. Supersonic aircraft, missiles, radar, guns and dogfighting without artificial hibbling or balancing, intensive multicrew, varied operations, respectable opposition... and great music. It is the Holy Grail of combat aviation, and strangely absent throughout gaming history. I only know of one campaign in the old Jane's Fighters that centered on Vietnam, and maybe one or two games on Korea.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I believe there was a quite a good Caucascus reskin back in 1.5 with some Vietnam touch.

I would rather see tools for modders to easily change cities names and buildings, trees on the existing maps, so we could have such a mod again. ED is quite busy with their too many projects, Falkland map is just waste of time and resources, so the community is the only hope - like in ARMA 3. They just have everything - great Vietnam mods up to the modern times.

I am sure 100% that ED knows how a Vietnam map would be popular. Everyone knows that a Vietnam map would sell more that the Dubai map.

I think that the reason why it is not planned is due to the amount or work required as well as the processing power needed. TONS of trees and objects. This is the complete opposite of Dubai and Nevada.

I personally think that they know that this map would be the holy grail of maps. They are keeping that card in their pocket and wait for the hardware to evolve a bit ...than BAM they will hit us with it when unexpected in few years from now.

Could you imagine ... announcing DCS world version 3.0 with the optional Vietnam map. This would be a marketing dream for them, and a golden mine.

It will come. Just be patient. We just need to continue showing our interest into it.

Edited by Frag

I believe there was a quite a good Caucascus reskin back in 1.5 with some Vietnam touch.

I would rather see tools for modders to easily change cities names and buildings, trees on the existing maps, so we could have such a mod again. ED is quite busy with their too many projects, Falkland map is just waste of time and resources, so the community is the only hope - like in ARMA 3. They just have everything - great Vietnam mods up to the modern times.

Falkland Maps is a 3rd party project and actually the way for these developers to learn the ropes to build maps. The "waste of time" may(!) pretty much serve as a skill building excercise for them to take on bigger (Vietnam) maps. At least it would be another developer who is able to do a map...

and I am sure there is a bigger audience waiting for the Falklands (South Atlantic) than you think. For me it's an instant buy! Basically any map is! Can't wait for Syria and Afghanistan to see the light of day... :)

EDIT also keep in mind a Vietnam map would cater for a realistic environment for roughly the Huey, the Huey and maybe the Huey... add the way too modern MiG-21 Bis against the community mod A-4 Skyhawk and AI F-4 Phantoms and with much artistic license the F-5E3... Persian Gulf, Afghanistan or Syria are currently catering over half a dozen modules!

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

By "Napalm" Mk-77 fire bomb has planned to F/A-18C hornet, but surelly has added to other aircrafts (F-5).

About the "actual" Vietnam modules:

-A-4 Mod -(comunity)

-A-6/KA-6 (IA) -Heatblur

-A-7E -RAZBAM

-AH-1F -ED

-F-5E -ED

-F-4E -ED

-F-8 Crusader -Magnitude3

-F-14A -Heatblur (yes, the F-14 was deploy on Vietnam: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-14_Tomcat_operational_history#American_withdrawal_from_Saigon_(1975) )

-Forrestal Class Carrier (AI) -Heatblur

-Mig-19 -RAZBAM

-Mig-21Bis -Magnitude3 Not "exact" version but has applicable.

-OV-10 Bronco -Razbam

-UH-1H -ED

Edited by Silver_Dragon

By "Napalm" Mk-77 fire bomb has planned to F/A-18C hornet, but surelly has added to other aircrafts (F-5).

About the "actual" Vietnam modules:

-A-4 Mod -(comunity)

-A-6/KA-6 (IA) -Heatblur

-A-7E -RAZBAM

-AH-1F -ED

-F-5E -ED

-F-4E -ED

-F-8 Crusader -Magnitude3

-F-14A -Heatblur (yes, the F-14 was deploy on Vietnam: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-14_Tomcat_operational_history#American_withdrawal_from_Saigon_(1975) )

-Forrestal Class Carrier (AI) -Heatblur

-Mig-19 -RAZBAM

-Mig-21Bis -Magnitude3 Not "exact" version but has applicable.

-OV-10 Bronco -Razbam

-UH-1H -ED

Of which we currently have exactly the UH-1H, the MiG-19 (forgot that one), MiG-21 in a faaaaar more modern version, a more modern F-5E and the community mod A-4E in a too modern version... can make do, but it is still a more late 70ies to 80ies mix of aircraft.

The other "ideas" may be around in 2025, but I prefer the Afghanistan and Syria maps, may be a Balkans map, until they arrive, especially with the F-16C coming soon. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Falkland Maps is a 3rd party project and actually the way for these developers to learn the ropes to build maps. The "waste of time" may(!) pretty much serve as a skill building excercise for them to take on bigger (Vietnam) maps. At least it would be another developer who is able to do a map...

and I am sure there is a bigger audience waiting for the Falklands (South Atlantic) than you think. For me it's an instant buy! Basically any map is! Can't wait for Syria and Afghanistan to see the light of day... :)

EDIT also keep in mind a Vietnam map would cater for a realistic environment for roughly the Huey, the Huey and maybe the Huey... add the way too modern MiG-21 Bis against the community mod A-4 Skyhawk and AI F-4 Phantoms and with much artistic license the F-5E3... Persian Gulf, Afghanistan or Syria are currently catering over half a dozen modules!

FYI - An F-4E was in development but was put on hold to develop and push out the F-16 first. It might not be the ideal variant for this era but its still a Phantom that many people would be more than happy with.

FYI - An F-4E was in development but was put on hold to develop and push out the F-16 first. It might not be the ideal variant for this era but its still a Phantom that many people would be more than happy with.

Why is not a Phantom for this era. The block 43 has arrived in the late 1960.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Of which we currently have exactly the UH-1H, the MiG-19 (forgot that one), MiG-21 in a faaaaar more modern version, a more modern F-5E and the community mod A-4E in a too modern version... can make do, but it is still a more late 70ies to 80ies mix of aircraft.

The other "ideas" may be around in 2025, but I prefer the Afghanistan and Syria maps, may be a Balkans map, until they arrive, especially with the F-16C coming soon. ;)

I think it is an understandable idea that the planes are modeled a little later than their respective most famous conflicts simply because they can be used in way more scenarios which is a nice idea.

I always thought that the biggest difference between the MiG-21MF (which saw combat in Vietnam) and the MiG-21bis was really just the special afterburner. Does the latter add loads of A/G capability too?

Why is not a Phantom for this era. The block 43 has arrived in the late 1960.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

From the last updates before Belsimtek became a part of ED, we are getting something like the F-4E Block 50+ with maneuvering slats, TISEO and ARN-101 navigation/bombing system. This is representative of the project Rivet Haste F-4E's that saw combat from November 1972 to January 1973 (and also in Cambodia the following years) except for the ARN-101. Rivet Haste F-4E's operating with the 555th TFS did indeed drops bombs and fire AGM-65s in anger but only 3x AIM-7's were ever fired at MiGs, none of which resulted in a kill. All slatted F-4E kills would subsequently go to Israel and Iran.

Has the same situations with the in progress Malvinas / Falkland map. Do you think mission makers has been stop to make combat missions on that scenery by not have Sea Harriers or Mirage V? we can see the same situations with "outside time" modules (Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/As, UH-1H, etc) fly over that war zones.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

• 2 months later...

I've been told it was in the planning from one of our 3rd parties company, but was eventually cancelled...

That means they are getting interested in it and someday, something will come out, very probable ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 9 months later...

+1

This would fit amazingly well with the Huey :)

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

• 1 month later...