[REPORTED]WW2 multiplayer tracer bug?

Bounder

I’d like to report a bug whereby tracers become invisible online and post 2 videos I’ve captured of this occurring – the Spitfire and P51 Mustang.

The bug appears to affect the visibility off all tracers - all aircraft (not just my own) and ground units / anti aircraft. I’ve had it occur numerous times online and friends I fly with on teamspeak have also confirmed they suffer the same bug.

The problem isn't running out of ammo or damage. You can see hits on aircraft as you fire into them but see no tracers. I've tried re-spawning in new aircraft on the server and still experience the bug. The only thing that fixes it is shutting down DCS and starting it back up again.

The bug seems to occur after flying for a certain length of time on a server. You start out and can see tracers just fine but after a certain amount of time on the server the bug occurs. I can’t say how long but I would guess at least after 1 hour of being connected to the server. I’ve had a friend who connected the same time as me have the bug occur at the same time and others who joined shortly afterwards then report the same bug.

Both videos recorded on Burning Skies WW2 Server:

Spitfire

P51

Edited by BIGNEWY
TITLE

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

I can confirm that I and numerous others I know have this bug fairly regularly. All the stuff about it affecting numerous people after about the same length of rime sounds familiar as well. We noticed that the worse that server lag seems to be, the sooner it occurs. For us a disconnect and reconnect solved the issue.

It also seems that when you shoot things without tracers, it tends to do less damage. Maybe they arent invisible, but disappear alltogether?

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

• ED Team

We do have some tracer issues reported, but this seems to be different.

I will take a closer look into this in the morning.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Me and some friends observed this too with a 23mm AAA emplacement. One of us made the joke to fire the AAA from few hundred meters away on our parked planes and we took damage from nowhere. Because we had some bailed pilots near our planes we thought they were doing the damage somehow but in the end he started to laugh amazed that we didn't see the tracers while he saw them very well. So yeah... bug :) .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

We do have some tracer issues reported, but this seems to be different.

I will take a closer look into this in the morning.

interesting, as this bug exists since at least the P51 got released, and has been mentioned several times throughout the years....and its not just about P51 and spit, but all ww2 birds at least...

in addition to the missing tracers, it seems that only half the rounds are calculated from this point onwards, and the server will not give you any credits anymore, regardless of how many you keep killing.

a really frustrating bug, which comes more frequent, when more people are on a server.

• ED Team

Like I said we do have some tracer issues reported. I had never known of this issue to be honest, but I don't generally frequent busy servers, mainly group run private servers.

Any way, we have a public test coming up, please join and assist if you have time, we will be looking for some data on this tracer issue also

Dear players,

This Wednesday Feb. 22 at 17-00 GMT (20-00 MSK) we want to make wide multiplayer test. Main goal is to catch server issues when a lot of connected clients and events appears.

We invite all who has DCS World ver. 1.5.6.1938.247 (release or Open Beta). Mandatory conditions:

1. Pure client, Integrity Check is ON

2. Chat window should be opened all the time in READ mode. You can use chat in WRITE mode only in the last resort

3. You should comply with ED employee instructions (Server admin, BillyCrusher, Dzen, Nim, FrogFoot, USSR_Rik)

4. No other special rules. You can do what you want from aerobatics up to self destroy. Server mission contains several A/C and ground groups with different tasks (dogfight, A-G attack, ship attack). Do not forget to connect-disconnect, slot (role) change. Do not think about your personal score - we want to get as much as possible game events. Being killed just change role and play again. Labels are ON, all views are opened.

In case of any issue (server crash, disconnect etc.) return to server list, wait for our test server appears and connect again. We will inform you about testing finish in game chat.

Date and time can be detailed here.

Server name: ED Debug Server.

TeamSpeak server: teamspeak.eagle.ru. TS channels will work only for listening.

Please discuss details here (but don’t ask ‘why 17-00? will be better 18-00’)

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Like I said we do have some tracer issues reported. I had never known of this issue to be honest, but I don't generally frequent busy servers, mainly group run private servers.

Any way, we have a public test coming up, please join and assist if you have time, we will be looking for some data on this tracer issue also

yeah if ww2 modules will be there, we might join in

Is this the same bug we classified as a sound bug here? https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=176949

Because I feel I cant score hits and dont see tracers when this happens to me, which would elevate this "sound bug" to more severe levels.

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Nope. Although that bug is also still there. Even got worse with the latest patch.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

So interestingly enough tonight even though I joined much much later than a Squadmate we both lost tracers within 10 seconds of one another. Later on it happened again within 5 seconds of one another. Obviously this seems to be independent of time connected to the server.

I can also confirm that the Scoreboard doesn't record kills if you shoot aircraft down without tracers.

9./JG27

• ED Team

thanks for the info, I will pass it on, we are still looking into this.

I will make the effort to drop into the server tomorrow and try and get some first hand data

thanks for the info, I will pass it on, we are still looking into this.

I will make the effort to drop into the server tomorrow and try and get some first hand data

That'd be great Bignewy, getting this bug every time I'm on the server. Tonight I and other squadmates got it again. Frustrating as it's not apparent until we're in a fight and find ourselves neutered. I agree with David and Defaultface that it seems once the bug occurs even when I land lots of hits it doesn’t seem to register much / any actual damage and if an opponent ends up crashing following hits no kill is recorded. Thanks for looking into this, would be great to find the cause(s).

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

• ED Team

We did get some data during the MP test related to overflow of data, this maybe related.

I will try and get on while it is busy early evening

If it helps I can post a track or video as well, whatever you need.

9./JG27

• ED Team

any data you have showing may help.

Tracks are best but can be unreliable if to long, and server / client logs

Ok apparently the forum wont let me upload them. They are both very long though and surely fairly far from reality as the tracer bug occurs at the end of the tracks.

9./JG27

• ED Team

no worries, I will get on tonight, if you are on burning skies server you can laugh at me trying to take off

• ED Team

was on for a couple of hours tonight, did not see the issue, but I will pop in again over the weekend.

We did get some data during the MP test related to overflow of data, this maybe related.

thats good to hear...could this be related to people starting to spike/lag once they make rapid hard manouvers as well??cause thats a typical scenario you see as well in dcs, while they fly steady manouvers, everything seems to be ok, but once you are behind them, many start to go crazy on the controls, and thats where usually they start to seriously lag/spike, while their ping isnt an issue...i know not related to the tracer bug here, but just asking whether this overflow of data could be a cause of this?

• ED Team
thats good to hear...could this be related to people starting to spike/lag once they make rapid hard manouvers as well??cause thats a typical scenario you see as well in dcs, while they fly steady manouvers, everything seems to be ok, but once you are behind them, many start to go crazy on the controls, and thats where usually they start to seriously lag/spike, while their ping isnt an issue...i know not related to the tracer bug here, but just asking whether this overflow of data could be a cause of this?

Honest answer is, I do not know.

I will speak to the ED team after they have had their break and try and find more out.

I plan to pop in to the server again today, had some fun and some kills, but spent most of the time trying to figure out why I suck so badly with the spitfire :)

Edited by BIGNEWY

Bignewy after dont see this anyone mentioned before, the Tracer Bug is only occour after more then ~1.5 Hours of constant Flying. To locate this Bug you should bring fare amount of Time for Flying.

Hopefully this help a littel bit

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

• ED Team

I will continue to check for it as time permits, had about 2 hours over the weekend, will try to do more.

I have mentioned this to the billycrusher on the ED team and we are looking out for it

• ED Team

eekz was kind enough to send me the server logs where I found

01834.276 WARNING LOG: 34 duplicate message(s) skipped.

01834.276 ERROR VFS: Can't open file //models/tracer_bullet_green.edm.json.

01785.457 WARNING LOG: 34 duplicate message(s) skipped.

01785.457 ERROR VFS: Can't open file //models/tracer_bullet_red.edm.json.

After speaking with billycrusher on the ED team he was able to reproduce the overflow of data for tracers.

It has been reported and ED are working on a fix.

Thanks all

• Like 1

Nice work guys!

• Like 1

9./JG27