How Long Did Your Update Take?

volvodriver

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Just curious how long the PG update has taken to apply for ppl in different areas.

I live in the UAE (naturally very excited for PG map) and I've just clocked over 6.5 hours and still going.

1) Game update

2) Map download and update

3) Another 10gb download I wasn't expecting (it also strangely went over the size of the download - see attachement)

I did the normal GUI method for update (no command lines etc.)

Long time but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Hoping to still play tonight after update finishes but it is getting a bit late for old ppl like me.

Either way first up is landing the Mi-8 on the helipad of the Burj Al Arab

Capture.PNG.a66cc2354d294ac96442430837ec8503.PNG

Edited by volvodriver
Adding attachment

Mine overall was maybe 2-2.5 hours.

USA.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Still going on the DCS update (DCS 2.5.2.17559 Open Beta) after eight hours here in Australia and only getting ~70 KB/s download. I'm actually uploading faster!

Haven't even got to the Persian Gulf map download yet.

Very disappointing once again. Have reported it.

Five hours :(

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

Interesting responses, some of you have had nothing buy joy.

After 9 hours of various stages of updates I get the message attached, second attachment is from the log file.

I then start DCS in some vain hope that the update has applied however am prompted yet again to download the entire PG DLC again.

I am now going through another download (which is excruciatingly slow) that says 0% out of 3570.5 MB, yet another new number. Based on the last attachment where it was 24gb of 10gb I can only guess how much this will download.

Not exactly impressed. My optimism is fading.

Capture2.PNG.37a60442340d9c725e0574f51b22b349.PNG

Capture3.thumb.PNG.8c321c4195f1e23b7da99c56afcd152d.PNG

Capture.PNG.5419153cbfcb500adbb38746791c0bf3.PNG

Edited by volvodriver

It's really BW and # of torrent user dependent. I do have a gigabit service (up and down from FiOS) and tend to reach those numbers for the most part. When I updated about 2 hours ago, it took about 15-20 min for the OpenBeta update, then another 20 min(?) for the map download. I wasn't exactly stopwatching it, but the times are about right.

PS: I did peak at about 70MBytes/sec and in the first 1/2 of the download. Then slowed down considerably when I got to about 95% of the download. It then dropped to 20KB/sec or so.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Update Time

The update took longer - about 2.5-3.0 hours. The Persian Gulf Map took a little less. Lots of folks on Torrent!

Setup and flew an area checkout.....wow! Really going to enjoy this when the Hornet is released next week. Until then, me and my Harrier will create mayhem!

Run your DCS Open Beta Updater.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

With fiber, it took me about 20 minutes.

A little longer for me, still less than an hour though for both the update and the terrain download and installation, it was a slow download at the start but towards the end it was getting faster topping out at around 12MB/s

Edited by Alicatt
typo

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

@4.5 hours - just finished and it looks beautiful! Great FPS too.

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

About an hour and a half. Despite 1gig connection I never got above 30MBps. The annoying part was the need to run the DCS_updater on its own to update the game first. Otherwise I'd get a "persiangulf_terrain not available" error when using the module manager. That meant a manual process to update the game (~7GB) then another interaction required to get PG from module manager. It should have been a seamless, one click process.

Since I got it this morning I've been seeding it all day on my gig connection.

I think a big issue with speed is the updater only seeds while you download. The updater needs an option to keep it open and seeding until you close it.

3800X, X570, 32GB 3600, RTX 2080Ti, SSD, Odyssey+ VR

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Just curious how long the PG update has taken to apply for ppl in different areas.

I live in the UAE (naturally very excited for PG map) and I've just clocked over 6.5 hours and still going.

1) Game update

2) Map download and update

3) Another 10gb download I wasn't expecting (it also strangely went over the size of the download - see attachement)

I did the normal GUI method for update (no command lines etc.)

Long time but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Hoping to still play tonight after update finishes but it is getting a bit late for old ppl like me.

Either way first up is landing the Mi-8 on the helipad of the Burj Al Arab

I didn't time it but I"d say less than an hour for the world thing. I was expecting it to take much longer. I guess it good to sleep in sometimes :)

Mine took about 1.5 to 2 hours between about 1000, and 1300 U.S.A. Eastern time. I ran a Huey quick mission, spawned into an FARP in Iran, took off, and immediately became a ball of flame due to a Chinese SU-33.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1