F/A-18C INS for JTAC - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
YoYo

Default F/A-18C INS format from JTAC

It looks like DCS will need be updated also for format for JTAC for F/A-18C.
Please see this:

As You see in UFC You have digits only (and directions), so near similar like in INS in DCS M2KC.

(from Hornet check list:
On the UFC -
5. POSN option - PRESS, type N/S latitude, ENT
6. Type E/W longitude, ENT
7. CHDG option - PRESS, type true heading, ENT
8. CVEL option - PRESS, type velocity, ENT)

A-10C and current coordinates from DCS 2.5 looks like this:

so this code from JTAC is useless for Hornet. On INS You must put data as Lat Long format

Fortunately, there is a mod ( https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208614 ) for this:

Lat Long Decimal.

but it's a good idea for new option in DCS settings: option of format coordinates from JTAC.
Win 10 64, i7 7700k@4.5, GTX 1080Ti 11Gb, RAM 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX, 4xSSD+1SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TrackIR 5, TH Warthog, Throtlle Quadrant CH, MFG Rudder, Go Flight GF-P8, Saitek: Pro Flight Radio Panel, Pro Flight Switch Panel, Pro Flight Multi Panel, FiP and BiP, iPad2 for maps [FSX, P3Dv3, DCS, TOH, RoF, Condor, WT, IL-2 CoD/BoS/BoM/BoK]

Last edited by YoYo; 05-18-2018 at 10:03 AM.
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
Poko24
Veteran

Check this out: https://youtu.be/gNd84BEFyYE?t=3m16s
You can put coords as grid also on WYPT page.

"Excellence without arrogance"
Poko24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
Keakaha

Chapter 24 page 25 of the NATOPS manual details how to enter UTM coordinates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	424
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	184760  
Keakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Oban

Don't JTACS use the MGRS system, or are they solely using UTM?
From previous experiences when talking to Helo's in Iraq, we always used MGRS for our 9-Lines etc.

i7 7700 @ 2.8 Ghz
16 GB RAM
128 GB SSD
GTX 1050 4GB
Windows 10 64 bit
Oban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
Keakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oban View Post
Don't JTACS use the MGRS system, or are they solely using UTM?
From previous experiences when talking to Helo's in Iraq, we always used MGRS for our 9-Lines etc.
Last time I used a JTAC in DCS they gave coordinates in UTM, unless its changed since then.

Anyway here is what the grid selection page looks like on the DDI in the hornet, as far as I understand you do not actually enter "XY" grid on the UFC but rather select the grid using the TDC, which I thought is pretty neat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	1006
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	184762  
Keakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Oban

I've not used it (JTAC) at all, as don't have the A10 module, isn't UTM the default INS system for all aircraft, maybe you can't change the unit's to MGRS within the sim.

Been caught out before between standard Lat/Long and UTM Lat/Long, so now have a UTM convertor on my works phone

i7 7700 @ 2.8 Ghz
16 GB RAM
128 GB SSD
GTX 1050 4GB
Windows 10 64 bit
Oban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
YoYo

Ok, see this, GRID is present so it will be ok with current JTAC coordinates.

You can use it by GRID function, RDDI screen and TDC (like in post of @Keakaha). Very smart & cunning function.
Not in pre early access yet I think, but maybe soon?
Win 10 64, i7 7700k@4.5, GTX 1080Ti 11Gb, RAM 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX, 4xSSD+1SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TrackIR 5, TH Warthog, Throtlle Quadrant CH, MFG Rudder, Go Flight GF-P8, Saitek: Pro Flight Radio Panel, Pro Flight Switch Panel, Pro Flight Multi Panel, FiP and BiP, iPad2 for maps [FSX, P3Dv3, DCS, TOH, RoF, Condor, WT, IL-2 CoD/BoS/BoM/BoK]

Last edited by YoYo; 05-18-2018 at 12:19 PM.
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
Vitormouraa
Veteran

Sorry for being offtopic but man does that cockpit look amazing...

Love it.

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Vitormouraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
ChickenSim

Coordinate systems have very little to do with whether a system uses INS or GPS. They're just projections that data from the navigation systems use to display information to the pilot.

MGRS should be the default coordinate system for targeting and CAS briefs since it allows for 1-meter precision and is easy to conceptualize distances between two given coordinates with. It was derived from UTM but UTM has long since fallen into disuse.

Lat/Long is usually the standard for (aero)nautical navigation but may be displayed in degrees minutes seconds (XX° YY' ZZ" N XX° YY' ZZ" W), decimal minutes (XX° YY.ZZZ' N XX° YY.ZZZ' W), or decimal degrees (XX.YYY° N XX.YYY° W) depending on the system. It isn't desired for targeting because the numbers and digits don't correspond to standard measurements of distance (which change depending on your latitude), so they're more arcane and harder to catch mistakes with. This has led to a number of fratricide incidents over the years, especially before MGRS became the gold standard and some aircraft didn't then have the capability to enter anything but L/L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston85 View Post
Very interesting feature indeed. But IMHO also very inefficient for combat. Having to slew the cursor into the desired GRID??? OMG. I'd rather being able to type it in 1 second.
The Grid Zone Designator for the target is more often than not going to be the same grid zone as the attacking aircraft, or one immediately adjacent.

For aircraft without full keyboards with which to type alphabetic letters, being able to select the appropriate designator with a single quick slew and confirmation, or even with an automated and intuitive UFC keypad system, is probably even faster than having to type it in.

Last edited by ChickenSim; 05-18-2018 at 04:14 PM.
ChickenSim is offline   Reply With Quote