Chaff and Flare question

aceofspades9963

Why can the max flare count only be 30 ? The buckets for chaff are the same buckets used for flares they are the same size. There can be 4 buckets loaded . I know when a tgp is loaded it is prohibited to put flares on the left side next to the tgp but there's no reason why you can't without a tgp.

A flare takes up two slots, a chaff bundle only takes one. There are 120 countermeasures 'slots', flares take up two slots and chaff bundles take up one. So if you only loaded chaff you could have up to 120 and if you only loaded flares you could have up to 60.

Go to 4:05 or thereabouts.

Edited by The Integrator

Eagerly anticipating DCS: Space Shuttle

Chaff and flare are the same size. One isn't larger than the other. The problem is when loading the buckets you cant just throw them in there all Willy nilley. There are diagrams you have to follow. The buckets have 2 knobs you can turn to set what program is loaded and when you load the bucket into the housing the jet reads what programs the buckets are loaded with

Ok it was 60 not 30 sorry couldn't remember, but in the ALR-47 one chaff is the same size cartridge as one flare so that wouldn't make sense it must be that they can't be loaded on the left for tgp reasons im guessing.

No, they're just bigger in DCS. Look at the F-15's belly in-game sometime for example. I'd pull up a screen of the F-18 but I'm pressed for time. Probably the same way on the Hornet model too.

DCS simulates the 'big' flares (I can't remember the designation lmao)...Ya know, without any real benefit of having them. Remember, countermeasures in DCS are quite simplified, after all. There are some other, smaller types that could be 'simulated' instead IIRC.

And who doesn't want an A-10 with ~400 flares? :D

Lord of Salt

No, they're just bigger in DCS. Look at the F-15's belly in-game sometime for example. I'd pull up a screen of the F-18 but I'm pressed for time. Probably the same way on the Hornet model too.

DCS simulates the 'big' flares (I can't remember the designation lmao)...Ya know, without any real benefit of having them. Remember, countermeasures in DCS are quite simplified, after all. There are some other, smaller types that could be 'simulated' instead IIRC.

And who doesn't want an A-10 with ~400 flares? :D

Yes but that would mean its a different dispenser not the alr-47 which is modeled, in the alr-47 a chaff is the same a flare.

AFAIK it depends on type of countermeasure calibre used, square or cylindrical. On square one flares take 2 slots (at least some flares) and on cylindrical one flares take only one slot just like chaff. Correct me if i'm wrong but F-18 always use cylindrical ones so it should be possible to load 120 flares.

frouch_fa-18d_13.jpg

940917-FY01-F111FALE-40R.jpg

AFAIK it depends on type of countermeasure calibre used, square or cylindrical. On square one flares take 2 slots (at least some flares) and on cylindrical one flares take only one slot just like chaff. Correct me if i'm wrong but F-18 always use cylindrical ones so it should be possible to load 120 flares

The hornets does only use cylindrical tubes. I have loaded buckets with all chaff or all flare. So it is 100% possible to have 120 of one or the other. Normally you'd split it somewhere for obvious reasons.

AFAIK it depends on type of countermeasure calibre used, square or cylindrical. On square one flares take 2 slots (at least some flares) and on cylindrical one flares take only one slot just like chaff. Correct me if i'm wrong but F-18 always use cylindrical ones so it should be possible to load 120 flares.

frouch_fa-18d_13.jpg

940917-FY01-F111FALE-40R.jpg

Yea if its a different shape its not a ALR-47 dispenser which is the model the hornet is carrying. Just wanna figure out why 60 flares, I guess 60 is plenty for a strike role , if I was doing cas I would like a few more.